• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Parrot Wizard's Guide to Well-Behaved Parrots

Revali

Walking the driveway
I found this book I was thinking of getting but I own a Cockatiel. Would books labeled as Parrots books be effective just the same. I feel silly asking but it's better to know things like this ahead of time.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I'm not crazy about the Parrot Wizard, but I would say something generic for parrots would apply to most.

If you are looking for some resources, Barbara Heidenriech has some books and articles listed here: Barbara Heidenreich | Good Bird Inc.
She's got some videos as well up on Youtube: Barbara Heidenreich - YouTube

I like her approach with animal training :)

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The Wizard of Odd!!!

Not the bible of birds!!! Lots of flaws...Read it if you want but don;t use it as an only source...

Lots of threads on it...do a bit a research before you throw your $ to the wind & Wiz...:rofl:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cockatiels are parrots.

Parrot - Wikipedia

Parrot = Order Psittaciformes.

Cockatiel:
Order: Psittaciformes
Family: Cacatuidae
Subfamily: Nymphicinae
Genus: Nymphicus

Scientifically a parrot :) More specifically, they are in the Cockatoo family (Cacatuidae)

Revali

Walking the driveway

Revali

Walking the driveway
Never cared for his methods either, and the way he handles his birds scares me sometimes. Take anything you hear from him with a heaping tablespoon of salt and you should be okay.
Haha, dang....

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The parrot wizard is a wizard of nothing. You can learn whatever you need right here on this wonderful forum. Use the search function to find topics from the past or ask your questions and get honest experienced feedback.

Revali

Walking the driveway
The parrot wizard is a wizard of nothing. You can learn whatever you need right here on this wonderful forum. Use the search function to find topics from the past or ask your questions and get honest experienced feedback.
True enough I wish I could book mark some of the info I find on here though. That's the only trouble with specialty forums is the info isn't consolidated Or stay that way.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bookmarks work wonders ;)

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
I really love all of the bird tricks materials. You can watch some of their training videos on YouTube if you wana get some insight on them. They have trained birds from budgies to macaws and have posted videos about it on YouTube. They also have a bunch of courses you can buy on their website. I love all of their videos. I agree that the parrot wizard's info should be taken with a grain of salt. Never follow anyone blindly. Do what works best for you!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Bird Tricks isn't exactly any better.... :( They are sales people first of all..... not to say that they don't enjoy what they do and haven't helped people, but they are sales people first and foremost.

Not as great as other, more well respected trainers and behaviorists such as Lara Joseph, Susan Friedman and Barbara Heidenreich.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I thought about going to to see him at Parrot Palooza and buying his book... but then I though over and decided 1) I wanted to save my money for the sidewalk sale and 2) if I really wanted to brush up on some training strategies, I'd be better off with Barbara Heidenreich's online webinars anyway and 3) I have been so busy at my new job I just wanted to be home with my birdy. Haha.

He has so much posted on his blog and on his videos, you could probably binge research his stuff for free on those platforms and avoid buying the book entirely. And as many have said, take his training with a grain of salt. I find his way of teaching the "wings" trick particularly disheartening. :confused:

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Bird Tricks isn't exactly any better.... :( They are sales people first of all..... not to say that they don't enjoy what they do and haven't helped people, but they are sales people first and foremost.

Not as great as other, more well respected trainers and behaviorists such as Lara Joseph, Susan Friedman and Barbara Heidenreich.
It is crazy how expensive some of their stuff is!!!

Also, they have so many videos on Youtube that, again, you can probably good understanding of their perspective on bird training for free online. I found the playlist on teaching Rasta the Alexandrine parakeet very helpful (even though the playlist does not go in order, you can kind of guess the progression and just jump around the playlist). I have watched their "One Day Miracles," which, though helpful and impressive, also is a misnomer. In fact, this title even contradicts one of their own training mottos - "every interaction is a training session." So yeah, anyway, I am just rambling now. :rolleyes:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I watched one of BT's "One Day Miracles" episodes... and it was honestly painful! LOL I can't say I could do better, but after watching Barbara Heidenreich and Lara Joseph and the differences in how they interact with animals vs BT.... well.... you can tell who has better understanding of training and behavior modification.

I am glad that BT has improved their techniques, but I can also tell that they still have a lot to learn, as does PW. Who knows, maybe in 10 years they'll be so good at what they do that they'd be worth recommending? At the moment though, I can't... (also couldn't recommend them 10+ years go...) There are other more "novice" type people whom I would recommend over them. People who have a better grasp about training and behavior but may not potentially be considered experts themselves.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
True enough I wish I could book mark some of the info I find on here though. That's the only trouble with specialty forums is the info isn't consolidated Or stay that way.
Go to your browser and bookmark the page(s) you want. You can create a Folder like I did called, Bird Stuff, and I have BookMarked dozens of pages here. :D