• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The one foot stretch?

GabeCast

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Gabe
So I've been seeing my tiel do this for a while now. He stands on one foot and stretches his wing out, crest down. Is he just stretching or does it mean something. I've tried to get a picture.. but no luck.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I call it the ballerina bird move. Much more elegant than "my bird is stretching again waiting for me to go get her".

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I call it Birdy Pilates. It's not just Tiels that do it. My conures and lorikeets do it. I haven't seen my Hahns do it (yet)

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Interesting tidbit... it seems to be a visually learned behavior. I had an adult female tiel for more than 5 years and never saw her do it. (She lived as an only bird for years before she was given to me.) Eventually a male tiel found his way to our house. He did the wing-leg routine: Right side out-Left side out-Feet down and folded wings lifted to meet in the middle for a long finishing stretch-Then a nice ruffle fluff. Every morning when I uncovered his cage it was his routine. Within a month she picked it up! And she did it every day she had the strength until she passed away years later.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's a "birdie-see, birdie-do" kind of thing around here. Once one does it, they all do it.

Kind of looks like the "wave" done at sports venues...:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Quakers do it also