• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The next step

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So the next step with Lagatha is Target training and that's what we are trying to do but the biggest problem is she wont move for nothing ...she will still take treats from my hand as long as I bring them to her ...she will not stretch out to take them... she wont lean ..she will barely stretch out her neck to take them from my hand ...I know this still has allot to do with trust and we still need to build more for sure ...I would have thought that she would really be into the Target Training because it something we can do when her cage is closed and she is safe but even with her favorite foods she just looks at me with that "what do you want "look on her face ..I know it all takes time ...:)

My question is do you all think this is just due to trust issues and I just need to back up and go back to hand feeding instead of moving forward ... :)

Capt T.

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Slow baby steps. Be consistent, and don't be afraid to back up if you have moved too fast. Talk a lot to the bird. Move slowly. Keep noise level down, especially when training. And good luck. I've trained lots of dogs and a few birds. Move at their pace.

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
In order for her to be interested in treats she needs to be motivated to come get them. My military is hungriest in the morning & thats her best mood time also so if I am trying to teach her something new I know thats my best time. Hope that helps.