• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The moment of truth

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You can also try putting a perch just outside the door and hang a treat or toy that they like near it. That sometimes entices them to come out on their own.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Did they venture out yet? It might take a few tries. Don't just sit and watch them, but go about your business. Treats to entice them, with an easy access perch is a good idea.

emzymayzy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Did they venture out yet? It might take a few tries. Don't just sit and watch them, but go about your business. Treats to entice them, with an easy access perch is a good idea.
Yes they seemed to of had a bit of an argument and one fell out then the other followed both were OK a bit shocked for a good 5 mins before wondering around they don't get that they cant fly and keep trying lol... putting them away was fun one can step on a perch easy and i can carry it to bed... but the other doesnt really know how to stay on a stick but managed to get there in the end after about an hour and im very pleased with them both... but i think tomorrow im going to concentrate on them stepping up but hate to say this but im scared of having my first bite even though my budgies always bite me i hope im not the only person who felt like this with their first bigger bird...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Awww they are precious! They're like hey Emma looky here lol.

I can't remember, are you reading or singing to them so they get used to you? I found that mine were a lot more relaxed once I started reading to them, I even take my ipad in their room and read from AA. :laugh: Then I say "well what do you think of that? Emma's got new tiels, are you excited? Should she wait a little while for them to come out, guys?" And so on. I only glance at them once in awhile, never stare. They love it.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
Awww they are precious! They're like hey Emma looky here lol.

I can't remember, are you reading or singing to them so they get used to you? I found that mine were a lot more relaxed once I started reading to them, I even take my ipad in their room and read from AA. :laugh: Then I say "well what do you think of that? Emma's got new tiels, are you excited? Should she wait a little while for them to come out, guys?" And so on. I only glance at them once in awhile, never stare. They love it.
i just talk randomly to them coz im always nagging my male budgie (alfie) who owns the joint lol... im working on stepping up tomorrow im scared of getting bitten what would you recommend? i need to get one easier to get one back to bed...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I like to hold millet or some other treat over my hand, let them get a taste, then move it farther so that eventually they have to step up so they can eat it. Then LOTS of praise! Mine love praise, in fact they like for me to cheer and clap. LOL

Oh but my parrotlet, Skittles is too smart for the millet trick. He wants to step up, but he's so scared that instead he stretches his neck (I swear he has a giraffe neck) and gets the millet, or else he flies over to my shoulder and gets it from there.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
I like to hold millet or some other treat over my hand, let them get a taste, then move it farther so that eventually they have to step up so they can eat it. Then LOTS of praise! Mine love praise, in fact they like for me to cheer and clap. LOL

Oh but my parrotlet, Skittles is too smart for the millet trick. He wants to step up, but he's so scared that instead he stretches his neck (I swear he has a giraffe neck) and gets the millet, or else he flies over to my shoulder and gets it from there.
I love the sound of your parrotlet... i have had my lamp on for them for the first few night i dont want them getting night frights but wanna try with no light tonight

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
They are so precious:heart:!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
They won't bite you if you don't force them to do anything. That means no pushing your finger against their tummy to get them to step up. You have to respect their body language. Using millet as a lure to get them on your hand is a good idea. First just eating out of your hand, then maybe one foot on you, etc. Make sure they have each task down before you move on to the next. It might take weeks. You can also train the other one to step on a stick. If they really don't like hands, you can try your arm, etc.

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
They won't bite you if you don't force them to do anything. That means no pushing your finger against their tummy to get them to step up. You have to respect their body language. Using millet as a lure to get them on your hand is a good idea. First just eating out of your hand, then maybe one foot on you, etc. Make sure they have each task down before you move on to the next. It might take weeks. You can also train the other one to step on a stick. If they really don't like hands, you can try your arm, etc.
Thank you i cant wait to try it tonight i got one to take millet and sunflower seeds from my hands last night was really pleased

emzymayzy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emma
They both do tend to squabble alot on the perch when im trying to do things with them if one gets too close to the other one they start arguing

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Tiels aren't known to be bitey- but they can- and usually kind of 'beak' you as a warning before they bite. So don't worry to much about that. As Tiel Feathers said, just try to respect what they tell you.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Agreed, tiels don't tend to bite, they will open their mouths and be "rude" first. Just be slow and calm. They are pretty easy to tame. They seem naturally calm and friendly. I am biased. Tiels are my fav!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:coffeescreen:Some days are just like that lol! Maybe later. It always seems that with birds it's two steps forward and one step back, and that's at the best of times!

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Just be patient