• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The little chicken's progress

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I can't find any recent pictures, but this is what Sherbie's looked like for months.

Lots of plucking in the front (sometimes a little further down from what's seen here) and behind her head as well.

We're now on week six of a diphenhydramine regimen (given twice daily, each week upping her dosage by one unit). We kept this up until her plucking ceased. I'm pretty sure it has, but I'm continuing till she heals and then I'll ask Dr. Shashy what to do next. Really we were going to up the dosage until she got sleepy, but that just isn't going to happen with this bird. She has SO much energy! Nothing stops her.

Here she is today.

There's still a bald-ish spot behind her head and a few spots in front, but it's mostly covered up now. Dr. Shashy noted some nice feather growth back there, too. She's really pleased with the progress and so am I. Now if we could just get Sherbs to quit doting on fake eggies and trying to be a Momma, we'd be good.

Oh, and yes that's a little bruise on her nare. She was playing VERY roughly with her AS Gym N' Jingle one afternoon. :backout: I really don't know what she's made of, but she's one tough cookie.

Also Sherbie learned a new thing to say. Both Braden and I will walk in the room and ask her "What is it?" whenever she's being fussy or whenever we hold some new toy/object in front of her. So now she says "What (sounds like a whistle) eesit"

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I'm glad she is doing so much better. I know it's hard when you have a plucker. I don't think she is going to give up on the eggs for a bit lol She thinks they are hers and that's that lol.

She get's that angry bird face when she gets going doesn't she lol I don't care what anyone say I think it's the cutest thing in the world when they get all mad at their toys like that lol.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I still have no clue what's really causing the plucking but I think it's that she's got two feathers growing from the same follicle. I see them from time to time. She's a scary Momma!

YES. God, yes she does. Angry and charging at everything. She literally spent the last couple of days throwing around a palm box (forager), destroyed three sola balls, and countless other things. He cage doesn't stay clean for long. She grabs the AS toy by the jingly bell part and thrashes like a madman. I mean, it smacks her in the face and she doesn't care! Then suddenly she'll calm down and be normal for a few minutes.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
:laughing6: it's the funniest thing ever when the toy comes back around and hits them though and they get even madder at it though lol And the attack get even more personal for them. Gracie gets all into it like she is going to kill her toys when that happens. She wears herself out these days when she gets going poor thing. One of these days I am going to have to record it and post it on here.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I have a little plucking lovebird too, I just took her in like 2 weeks ago. She's seeing a vet to determine the cause of the plucking.

It must feel great to watch them grow their feathers back!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's looking great!! What's the story with the diphenhydramine? I'm curious as to whether it could help Boo.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
She's looking great!! What's the story with the diphenhydramine? I'm curious as to whether it could help Boo.
It's birdy benedryl. It just blocks the itchies so she doesn't feel the need to yank feathers out. I don't think Sherbie's case is psychological so that's why this worked. I'd definitely ask your vet if it's a possibility for Boo. Best $9 I've spent.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's birdy benedryl. It just blocks the itchies so she doesn't feel the need to yank feathers out. I don't think Sherbie's case is psychological so that's why this worked. I'd definitely ask your vet if it's a possibility for Boo. Best $9 I've spent.
Hmmm....I'll certainly ask, but I think you're right that Boo's issue is mostly psychological, though the hormone shot did seem to make her less aggressive about ripping at her skin.