• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

the kale story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
As all of you know, kale is very a healthy veggie for humans and parrots. Kale is actually a mediterranean plant, native to this areas. Especially to the seaside of Croatia.

We call it rashtika here. It very yummy and I'll have to post a few human type recipes for those who want to eat it.

I buy mine from organic farmers, but here you can buy it anywhere.

Birdies got theirs chopped with carrots and carrot tops, lettuce, peas, corn and chilli peppers.

LittleGems

I wish I could convince my birds that kale is edible :( none of mine will eat it! The parrotlets like to shred the stalks, the rest ignore it completely :(

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
That looks delicious!

My fids aren't big on any greens really, but I still offer them daily. I did find out that Nin loves cooked kale and mustard greens though! I throw some in their dinner while it's cooking now:)

Sparkles

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Iskra
both of my parrots didn't want to touch it, let alone eat it at first. Than they had used it as a toy :confused: and now they like it :D

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
That looks AWESOME! Our kale is cut into thumbnail size pieces and the birds love it!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
looks good..I hate it..however, my mother in law grows it. (she is Croatian like you are)--so my birdies are all used to it

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
YUm that looks good! Sometimes mine eat it and sometimes they don't. I like to put it through the processor to get it fine...then it sticks to other foods:) I also skewer it and weave it through the bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.