• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The honeymoon is over...

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
...or maybe it is just that spring has sprung with hormones. Either way, the lovely Miss Cocoa nailed me today!. :imok:She is a normal parrot after all. :angel4: It was entirely my fault (of course ). She was very animated this morning and squawking her head off when I went to change the food dish out and wham! :shocked4:
She got me. First time she has ever bitten. Although it wasn't entirely a bite. She grabbed my whole finger in her beak and clamped on. I lifted my hand and she came right off her perch, feet dangling, eyes pinning wildly. I told her that was not nice :naughty:and put her back and she continued to squawk at the top of her lungs and make crazy eyes. She quieted down after about 5 minutes and I left for work. Part of me was sad but a bigger part of me happy that she is finally feeling at home enough to give me what for! :muahaha:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It's hormones..... I'd almost bet on that.

Secret tried to regurgitate for me last night.

Every time I met her eyes while she was on her stand, she started making noises.

Secret is actually DNA male. Secret is smaller than MC and we just thought the bird was a her for so long, I can't think of her as a him. Yeesh, just confused myself.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Cracks me up how we defend our Fids! Happy that she is finally feeling at home enough to give you what for - I LOVE IT! :hug8:

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
So funny how we think getting bit is ok. LOL Dog owners would never put up with that!! Ha Ha. I have only gotten bit badly once in 35 years. I left Sam with my father when we went on vacation. He had an OWA that Sam hated. When I came home he nailed me. Even ground his beak back and forth before letting go. Wow did that hurt. Gives us quite a lot of respect for that beaky!

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
The other day Bug latched onto my pinky after daring to remove one of his sacred toys from the bottom of the cage while he was inside. He's generally not cage aggressive, but his precious toys must be defended.

Every time I met her eyes while she was on her stand, she started making noises.
You too!? There are times when all it takes is the sound of my voice.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Glad to hear your ok!

I’m sure that even the best of our fids have an off day, Pilo is no exception! They bite the people they love and sometimes even wonder why they acted the way they did!

They behave just like humans, if you compare apples to apples!

:rofl:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good luck. I never had the honeymoon with Wasabi, who is adopted.
This has been bugging me.

Wht didn't you have a honeymoon period? You adopted him.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I clearly remember the ride back home from the animal shelter where we adopted W. He and I were in the backseat of hubby’s vehicle. I was talking to W and trying to make friends, like we all do with our adopted darlings.

He gave me a stern look, his eyes pinned, then he hissed.

Alrighty, then, I thought. Here we go! :laugh:

Years before we got Wasabi, I brought Sashimi home from the same shelter. He didn’t like us, either. I just know someone’s brats probably were unkind to the poor little gaffer. He never did warm up to us, but that was alright.

Clueless, did you have a honeymoon with Secret and MC?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yep! Until hormones...... :crycry:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
They did not get hormonal at the same time, I hope?
Secret tore hunks of flesh. MC really hasn't been a bad boy with me. He has bit me three times, each one my fault.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How sure are you that Cocoa is in fact a girl? That sounds like male amazon hormonal behavior. My females only do that sort of thing in response to other stimuli. Such as misdirected aggression. The dog is too close, bird doesn't like dog, bird is sitting on me, I get bit. That sort of thing is classic of my females. Bite because I exist, especially if I'm close to food bowls, that is classic male behavior. Although I've had females get a little spicy around food too depending on the individual.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
I am not sure she is female at all. The shelter said she was surrendered as a female (owner's report) but the vet report said the did not know and she had no papers. She only did it once so far and she was excited about something before I put my hand in (that is why I said it was my fault). I have been thinking about getting a DNA test for my own knowledge.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am not sure she is female at all. The shelter said she was surrendered as a female (owner's report) but the vet report said the did not know and she had no papers. She only did it once so far and she was excited about something before I put my hand in (that is why I said it was my fault). I have been thinking about getting a DNA test for my own knowledge.
Great thought. I was told that the test takes a while to know if female or male..... and it helps rule out possible health issues if the bird becomes ill.