• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Hawk-headed (Red-Fan) Parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Hawk-Headed Parrot - Deroptyus accipitrinus

Also known as Red-Fan parrot (commonly called hawkhead or HH for short)

Brazilian Hawkhead Parrot
D-a-fuscifrons.jpg

Buff-Crowned Hawkhead Parrot
Cassius-fan.jpg

Hawk-headed parrots are unique and amazing Parrots. I have always admired these spectacular birds and was blessed to be able to obtain my own (Cassius) in September of 2007.

“Hawkheads” as they are commonly referred, are the only members of their genus – Deroptyus. The nominate species is the “Buff-Crowned Hawk-headed Parrot” (Deroptyus accipitrinus accipitrinus). The buff-crowned hawkhead originates north of Amazon from Amapa, Brazil, west across French Guiana, Surinam, Guyana and southern Venezuela to southeast Colombia, eastern Ecuador and northeast Peru (Lexicon of Parrots)

The sub-species, the “Brazilian Hawk-Headed Parrot” (Deroptyus accipitrinus fuscifrons), originates northern Brazil south of Amazon from northwest Maranhão west to upper Rio Madeira and its tributaries and south to northern Mato Grosso and northern Bolivia. (Lexicon of Parrots) Brazilian Hawkheads are very rare in aviculture. According to the rare species conservatory foundation, Brazilian Hawkheads number no more than a dozen in the United States. http://www.rarespecies.org/birdisland.pdf Lexicon of Parrots reports that their status in the wild still common in most parts; some population decline because of deforestation.

The buff-crowned hawkhead is a striking bird. They have a primarily green body, with their belly being maroon-colored with violet-blue tips. Their head is a grayish brown, streaked with light tan/grey feathers and a “buff” colored forehead . They have a crest (or fan) to match their belly, with elongated feathers that are maroon-colored tipped in violet blue. They can raise this fan to encircle their face whenever the mood strikes, whether it is to look fierce, for play or even affection if you give them a scritch in just the right spot. Behind their fan is a large patch of dark grey downy feathers, and it is here that some love to be scratched. They are small to medium sized birds, generally weighing around 230-270 grams and an overall length of approximately 35 cm. Brazilian hawkheads are similar, except that they have a darker head, and more red/ less blue on their bellies.

Hawkheads in the wild generally live in undisturbed forest, feeding in the canopy on fruits, and have been observed alone, in pairs and in very small family groups (5 or less). In the wild they feed on fruits (particularly palm fruits), berries, seeds, flowers, nuts and vegetable matter. In captivity, they should have access to plenty of fruit, vegetables, seeds and nuts. There is some disagreement among hawkhead owners as to adding pellets to their diet, though I personally add small amounts of Harrison’s High Potency to Cassius’ diet. Hawkheads are very active birds and should be fed as such – they consume more food than most would expect (though I have read some accounts of exceptions to this rule!).

In the wild they have been observed to roost in tree hollows, and I have found trying to duplicate this to be appealing to my hawkhead. Cassius loves to “burrow” into things, especially at night. In his cage, he prefers to sleep on a corner shelf-perch, tucked in between a few of his toys.

The “typical” hawkhead is likened to a caique. They are active, energetic birds with a playful personality. From my own experience and talking with other hawkhead owners, Hawkheads are very good at keeping themselves entertained. They should have a wide variety of things to do and toys to play with. Because of their active personality, they should also be provided with a spacious cage, larger than some would expect for a bird of their size. Generally speaking a “macaw” cage is generally adequate, but care must be taken to get appropriate bar spacing so that they cannot get their head through the spaces. It also makes it easier for them to use their cage as hawkheads have relatiely small feet and its easier for them to grip cage bars that are closer together. 5/8” bar spacing is generally recommended but some birds do okay with up to (no wider than) 1” spacing.

Hawkheads are not generally known to be good talkers, though the ones that do have a cute “girly” sort of voice. Many seem to enjoy making sounds and whistles but have a limited vocabulary.

In reading accounts of other Hawkhead owners, most seem to prefer a bath to a misting. Cassius particularly does not like being misted but will zoom down to a running faucet to play in the water. He gets extremely hyper-active and playful when wet!

I have also noticed with my own hawkhead, that he is very “in-tune” to the day/night cycle and once the sun starts to set, he is ready to climb into his bed.

Cassius is extremely affectionate and “cuddly” but most accounts say that once mature, hawkheads can become very aggressive to anyone their than their chosen person/people. A hawkhead is a determined bird and if they do not like something, will be on a mission to let you know it. Care should also be taken with these birds to never make them feel that they are being “chased” as it can lead to mistrust and fearful/phobic behaviors.

Sound files:

Brazilian Hawkheaded parrot (wild)

Brazilian Hawkhead (wild)

Buff-crowned (wild)

Buff-crowned (wild)

Buff-crowned (wild)

Buff-crowned (wild)

Other articles worth reading if you are interested in Hawk-headed Parrots include:
Lexicon of Parrots

Old World Aviaries: Hawk-headed Parrots

Hawk-headed Parrots, exotic pet birds - Beautiful & Affectionate Birds

Hawkheaded Parrots

More sound files: Red-fan Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus) | on-line sounds from xeno-canto/america

The Hawkheads Yahoo email group: Hawkheads

Last edited:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Videos of Hawk-Headed Parrots:

Rare footage of a Brazilian Hawkhead Parrot

Loki, Buff-crowned Hawkhead Parrot (talking)

Cassius Buff Crowned Hawkhead Parrot sounds

Cassius Buff-Crowned Hawkhead Parrot playing

Poko, Buff-Crowned Hawkhead (free flight)
dont try this without proper education and training!

Cassius flying indoors (short)
this is him as a baby, thats not his current cage)

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Example of Hawkhead cage setup (this is Cash's cage)
- note it is no longer by a window as seen in these pics.
I moved Cochise from the window too.I realized he was getting too much draft, from an overhead A/C register, even though the dampers are shut. I have not taken a pic of his cage since in the new location. I will today. Here is Cochise's cage~

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I enjoyed your article Jill. Very well written!:) A fresh cup of coffee and I am ready to watch some videos and check out your links. Thanks for such a nice thread on our dear hawkheaded parrots.:heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
*Life expectancy~ 40 years
:)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They look so tiny in their cages :D They sure use it though, Cash is all over the place in his :eek: One of these days I need some new video of him just goofing off in there. He actually likes to go back to his cage when he has been out for awhile, he loves his toys in there. Not a big shredder but he likes to beat them up a good bit :lol: I have added a lot more perches and flat places to stand since those pics (I really need to update it). He rarely uses the cage bars for travel; he hops perch to perch mostly and its cute to see him run along the rope ones :D

I had read about 30-40 years life expectancy too, it just shocked me it was that "low" - although if Cash lives to be 40, I still have a chance of outliving him. I dont want to lose him by any means but... thats almost preferable to leaving him behind :(

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
A lot of the sound files were like Cochise, especially the 1st,6th, and last of the second link. There are so many different sounds he makes, plus huh? and many different whistles..which to us have meanings.
He is the same way with his toys. He seems to be cool with them for awhile, then one day I get up and it's like he took out all his ninja on it overnight.:D He also soaks pieces of food in his water and retrieves the soaked morsals to eat.:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Poko & Cash flying:heart::heart:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cash's call is similar yet different than the wild ones. There are a few that I recognize and believe me they ALL had his attention!! :D He does a lot of that "huh?" and "ooooh" also - its so cute. I dont know if its just a HH thing or if he learned it but it is adorable :heart: He does the "come here" whistle a lot (especially in the morning). My senegal Parrot (coke) taught him that ;)

Cash is a big food soaker too :D Its so neat to see the similarities our two boys have!

I love it "took out all his ninja on it" :rofl: that is definitely a hawkhead parrot for you :laughing12:

Cash's funniest trait is his fascination with drops. He would rather drink the drops off a freshly washed and filed bowl than from the bowl itself. Every morning he gets a little organic chamomile tea by the drop method - its the highlight of his morning :rofl:

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jill, Cash has a very nice set up. We need to get some recent pics of Attu and Shemya, I would like to get some in flight...still considering a camera that can take clear action shots.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks JR & AJ :)

JR I would LOVE to see more pics of Attu & Shemya!! Flight pics would be amazing :D Not an easy task, for sure! It must be amazing watching them interact together :heart:

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think we need a picture of that too :heart:

What are they like on a typical day? Do they play together a lot or do they sort of just do their own thing?

I have been so tempted to get a second HH but still not sure. Space is an issue if they didnt get along, and of cours there are no guarantees of that. Cash was a single baby so he's never had the chance to interact with another HH :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think we need a picture of that too :heart:

What are they like on a typical day? Do they play together a lot or do they sort of just do their own thing?

I have been so tempted to get a second HH but still not sure. Space is an issue if they didnt get along, and of cours there are no guarantees of that.
So true, there is no guarantee that a second one will get along. They play together alot of the time, eat together, preen each other, and Shemya chases Attu around the cage. :lol:They get out while cages are cleaned and they love to fly around together.

I know Gary took a pic of them in their tent, but that was some time ago and after loosing a computer or two, can't locate it. We will take another one.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg: Those are great pics Titanis. Thank you so much!! It is very tough to find any pics out there so this is a real treat!! :highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.