• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures The Great Cleaning

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
So, today was the day that Copper's cage was due for a full clean. Cleaning can get a bit droll so I decided this time I'd take some pictures and share it here on the forum for any other snake people! :p Got a bit carried away and the tank isn't fully done (hopefully we can get the last thing I want to change in there tomorrow) but here we go!
*a bit of a warning for any rodent-lovers, there is a picture of Copper eating a mouse in this post.
Here's the cage before. The biggest change this time is replacing his water dish with a brand-new, properly sized dish that I finally convinced my mom to buy. She keeps calling it "the pool" because it is plenty big enough for Copper to take a dip in. :D That's the whole point of why I bought it, mostly for enrichment and shedding purposes.

Here's how the tank looked after about an hour and a half of shoveling out reptile bark, dumping in a bit of lightly soaped warm water, and scrubbing the sides. The outside was actually where most of the little water stains and oil-marks were at, but the bottom of the tank needed some scrubbing to get rid of all the wood chip dust.

Then I got Copper out and he decided the tank needed some inspection. :hilarious:

"WHERE'S MAH STUFF?!"

After all the cleaning was done, I had him out for most of the time. No need to worry about getting soap or anything on him, so he stayed up on my shoulders for the most part...
He was very excited, so I didn't get many clear pictures of him. :lol:

Then he decided he wanted to see the bedding bag.

Then he decided he wanted in the bedding bag.

He was very happy to be overseeing the re-construction of his house. Here he is directing me, letting me know his skinny hide is way too close to his rock hide. How dare I!

Then he decided it was time for an inspection...

Then time for a nap!

Had to wait for him to come out before I resumed. Stubborn little bugger, not enough patience to wait for the final product!
But after he did, I took him back out and finished up, putting in his sticks, plants, and The Pool. Then, I let him down to check out the new digs... Literally.
Burrowing is of the utmost importance, gotta make sure the substrate is of only the highest quality and holds the best burrow-shapes!

He was quite excited to inspect the new pool, albeit empty.

He was very pleased with his little hidey-plant on the cool side of the tank. He seemed to appreciate the extra cover.

And here's the "final" product! Still have to add in one more thing (hopefully we'll buy it today at the store), but he seems to really like the cover and climbing areas! Hasn't checked out the now-full pool but he's making his rounds to inspect the new digs.
(Bonus points if you can spot him periscoping, he likes to think he's a python sometimes :lol:)

After 3 hours, lots of dust up my nose, and a bag full of old reptile bedding and soggy paper towels, the tank is clean and freshened up!
Copper's tired after all that work, time for lunch!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't see photos, just grey dots with a white horizontal line through them..

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I don't see photos, just grey dots with a white horizontal line through them..
Too late to edit! I'll try to copy-paste the text into a reply and upload the photos differently.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
So, today was the day that Copper's cage was due for a full clean. Cleaning can get a bit droll so I decided this time I'd take some pictures and share it here on the forum for any other snake people! :p Got a bit carried away and the tank isn't fully done (hopefully we can get the last thing I want to change in there tomorrow) but here we go!
*a bit of a warning for any rodent-lovers, there is a picture of Copper eating a mouse in this post.
Here's the cage before. The biggest change this time is replacing his water dish with a brand-new, properly sized dish that I finally convinced my mom to buy. She keeps calling it "the pool" because it is plenty big enough for Copper to take a dip in. :D That's the whole point of why I bought it, mostly for enrichment and shedding purposes.
old_setup.JPG
Here's how the tank looked after about an hour and a half of shoveling out reptile bark, dumping in a bit of lightly soaped warm water, and scrubbing the sides. The outside was actually where most of the little water stains and oil-marks were at, but the bottom of the tank needed some scrubbing to get rid of all the wood chip dust.
clean_tank.JPG
Then I got Copper out and he decided the tank needed some inspection. :hilarious:
copper1.JPG
"WHERE'S MAH STUFF?!"
copper2.JPG
After all the cleaning was done, I had him out for most of the time. No need to worry about getting soap or anything on him, so he stayed up on my shoulders for the most part...
He was very excited, so I didn't get many clear pictures of him. :lol:
copper3.JPG
copper4.JPG
Then he decided he wanted to see the bedding bag.
copper5.JPG
Then he decided he wanted in the bedding bag.
copper6.JPG
He was very happy to be overseeing the re-construction of his house. Here he is directing me, letting me know his skinny hide is way too close to his rock hide. How dare I!
copper7.JPG
Then he decided it was time for an inspection...
copper8.JPG
Then time for a nap!
nap_time.JPG
Had to wait for him to come out before I resumed. Stubborn little bugger, not enough patience to wait for the final product!
But after he did, I took him back out and finished up, putting in his sticks, plants, and The Pool. Then, I let him down to check out the new digs... Literally.
Burrowing is of the utmost importance, gotta make sure the substrate is of only the highest quality and holds the best burrow-shapes!
burrowing1.JPG
burrowing2.JPG
He was quite excited to inspect the new pool, albeit empty.
copper9.JPG
He was very pleased with his little hidey-plant on the cool side of the tank. He seemed to appreciate the extra cover.
hiding.JPG
And here's the "final" product! Still have to add in one more thing (hopefully we'll buy it today at the store), but he seems to really like the cover and climbing areas! Hasn't checked out the now-full pool but he's making his rounds to inspect the new digs.
(Bonus points if you can spot him periscoping, he likes to think he's a python sometimes :lol:)
new_setup.JPG
After 3 hours, lots of dust up my nose, and a bag full of old reptile bedding and soggy paper towels, the tank is clean and freshened up!
Copper's tired after all that work, time for lunch!
lunch_time.JPG
Hopefully the pictures work, should've uploaded them the first time around!