• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The good, the bad, and the ugly about mustache parakeets

Birddude

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Luke
the best and worst things about mustache parakeets

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are not many active members, if any, who own this species. They are not common in the pet trade, at least in the United States, so I am unsure if you will find much information here.

Douglas Dix

Moving in
Real Name
Doug
They are nice medium size parrot - large enough to be an easy to work with companion animal yet small enough to still sit on your shoulder comfortably and easily house indoors in a cage that doesn't take up half the living room. I also really like that they are sexually dimorphic (visually sexable) and the females are as colorful as the males but in a slightly different way. So for a pet, it really doesn't matter if you get a male or female as both are very pretty. The calls can be somewhat loud but are not screeching and nowhere near as loud as most Conures /Macaws /Cockatoos /Amazons. The calls also have an interesting pattern to most of them.

Down side: Hard to come by. I find them far more desirable than an Indian Ring Neck (I've had IRN, Plum Headed and Mustache for the Asian Parakeets) and arguably are not harder to breed, yet very few people seem to have any paired up while IRN are extremely common. Plum Heads would be my second choice of this group and even those are far, far less common that IRN's. Very few mutations out there for Mustache's as well - at least in the US, but then I generally prefer normals anyway.

Last edited:

Pipper

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Andy
There are color variations of IRNs with clear head & clear tail that wind up looking a bit like a color variation of a plum head parakeet. I like the plum head parakeet's coloring better though.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
They are nice medium size parrot - large enough to be an easy to work with companion animal yet small enough to still sit on your shoulder comfortably and easily house indoors in a cage that doesn't take up half the living room. I also really like that they are sexually dimorphic (visually sexable) and the females are as colorful as the males but in a slightly different way. So for a pet, it really doesn't matter if you get a male or female as both are very pretty. The calls can be somewhat loud but are not screeching and nowhere near as loud as most Conures /Macaws /Cockatoos /Amazons. The calls also have an interesting pattern to most of them.

Down side: Hard to come by. I find them far more desirable than an Indian Ring Neck (I've had IRN, Plum Headed and Mustache for the Asian Parakeets) and arguably are not harder to breed, yet very few people seem to have any paired up while IRN are extremely common. Plum Heads would be my second choice of this group and even those are far, far less common that IRN's. Very few mutations out there for Mustache's as well - at least in the US, but then I generally prefer normals anyway.
This is great information. I've always considered possibly adopting a mustache parakeet or IRN should one come up for adoption in my neck of the woods. IRNs seem like such playful, funny birds, but they also sound incredibly challenging at times.