1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good the Bad and the Ugly about Large Cockatoos

Discussion in 'Cockatoo Causeway' started by Greycloud, 3/17/13.

1. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    I just can't say there is really any ugly with our U2. The bad is the shriek when she wants someone to get her. The shrieking shrill if you might say. Once she's with one of us on us she's a happy and quiet little Girl.

I might be a lucky one because she never bites.

2. Birdlover42

Birdlover42 Strolling the yard

Alicia
    I have been thinking about purchasing a Cockatoo for several years and have decided on adoption if I decide to have one. This forum definitely helps and there is so much to consider. I have a lot to think about!

3. Sylvester

Sylvester Rollerblading along the road

Thank you for understanding. I have wrestle between the love and the hate I feel towards this animal, something I have never experience towards any other animal companion.

Sarahmoluccan and JLcribber like this.
  4. Madi8416

Madi8416 Moving in

Madi Adams
    I rescued my Charles, a goffins cockatoo, from a family who didn't know anything about him. He was abused before this family. He is missing toes and we just bought some new medication to try for his continuous plucking. He lived with an older lady after this, but she could not keep taking care of him so he went to live with the family. He would sleep in bed with the old lady and had become accustomed to this treatment.

He has a problem when my family members are around, but he is a complete baby when it's only me and him. He rolls around like a dog when I enter the room, and occasionally rolls off the bed. We dance together and play his favorite songs -- he eats off of my plate and he usually sleeps in bed with me too. (He doesn't sleep otherwise and just cries, he mimics exactly what a baby does all night, so we have figured out a way to keep him safe and happy)

Although he is a little baby around me, when I'm not around he turns into a little devil. He will attack other people, chew through doors to get out of our room, and rip the paint off of the walls. He terrorizes the other birds and had caused us to have to rehome our blue and gold macaw. I could not simply deal with rehoming him as its taken a long time for him to trust me. Snapchat-739564090.jpg Snapchat-2068010090.jpg

Attached Files:

5. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    Welcome to you and Charles. :)

Normally I wouldn't recommend to have your bird sleep with you...but in you and Charles case , it sounds like you have little choice in the matter.

I know you are, but please, please be careful...

Smbrds likes this.
  6. Madi8416

Madi8416 Moving in

Madi Adams
    Oh yes!! I am super careful. I have a king size bed and he usually sticks to one side and I'm to the other side. We have been mastering this sleeping arrangement for nearly a year now. Sometimes at night he snuggles up to me and sleeps on my head or something like that, which wakes me up if I feel him.

cassiesdad likes this.
  7. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Someday this will come back to haunt you. It’s not if something will happen. It’s when. Very scary.

8. Madi8416

Madi8416 Moving in

Madi Adams
    Yes I know there is a lot of bad outcomes that could potentially occur. I have talked it over with my local avian vet because at first I was very cautious about this as well. We had talked it over and over again but we decided it would benefit Charles if he were to sleep on the bed with me. Most of the time he is on my head, or chest, or on the pillows. I have tried many many other things such as a small cage on my nightstand, covering his cage, letting him sit on his stand at night -- which did not work because he climbed up onto the bed -- and i tried sleeping in a different room. He was sleeping in bed with someone for a little over two years and had become accustomed to that.. if you leave him alone at night he starts screaming, plucking out all of his feathers and crying like a baby.

9. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    It is a very sad situation...and an example of a well-meaning person messing up a 'too's mind completely...:(

Madi8416, Smbrds and JLcribber like this.
  10. Bokkapooh

Bokkapooh Ripping up the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Mercedez
    You must be a light sleeper. I slept with my birds no problem and even my child from newborn to now. I've always been a very light sleeper. However most people are not and shouldn't sleep with babies or even pets. If you feel it benefits him then you do what feels best.

Madi8416 and Smbrds like this.
  11. ChirpyMacaw

ChirpyMacaw Meeting neighbors

Joel
    does anyone here have black cockatoos(ie red taileds, palms, yellow taileds, etc) and are willing on sharing the good, bad and ugly about them in their experience?

12. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    There was a member here who had a beautiful red tailed black cockatoo, named Harvey, but she has not posted in quite a while. You could search for some of her threads and read what she had posted.

13. Budgiebuds

Budgiebuds Moving in

I have a female umbrella cockatoo named winter and she is such a cutie! She loves to cuddle and play and sing and dance! But if I don't cuddle her when she wants me to or I don't give her enough cuddles she'll push me with her head or she'll nip me and she'll scream if I put her down. She has "tantrums" if I put her to bed too early or when she dosent want to go to bed/back in her cage. She also leaves dust all around the house buy I've gotten used to it haha.

Sylvester likes this.
  14. Sylvester

Sylvester Rollerblading along the road

She sounds adorable.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)