1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The good, the bad, and the ugly about Indian Ringnecks.

Discussion in 'Ringneck and other Keet Street' started by Renae, 3/17/13.

1. Rachel Karfit

Rachel Karfit Sitting on the front steps

Cassie’s Dad, yes I have. My male preens his constantly, especially the two longest feathers. He also wags his tail frequently, often when he’s happy about something. Doing so reminds him how pretty it is and he will stop and preen it... Primping goober.
    Leeloo is not that fascinated with hers. She preens her tailfeathers, but not excessively like Korben. Maybe it’s a boy thing?

cassiesdad likes this.
  2. BashTinkLuna

BashTinkLuna Meeting neighbors

OST
    I have been parronting an indian ringneck for almost 1 year. I can't tell much since I just have him for that short time, and he hasn't reached hormonal pphase which some people told me it's super hard phase that we both need to pass. Based on my experience this is my opinion:

THE GOOD
    The most stable baby bird among those crazy caique, velcro sun conure, loud sulphur crested cockatoo, aggressive one man bird african grey, a turtle eclectus, a biter crimson bellied conure and super naughty lovebirds in my flock. To be honest, the first time Pui (my indian ringneck) came to our home, he was totally frightened, easily got spooked and didn't respond well to any call or food. We need to work hard to develop his confidence. But now, he became one of my favorite when I am super busy with my laptop. Pui will sit calmly on my shoulder, watching me doing my typing without disturbing the key pad or screaming out loud. He is just calm, stable, and independent. He hasn't bit me hard for those time we spent together. Note: my friend's indian ringneck is super aggressive in his 5 months old, while my Pui is a silent-watcher and allow random people to touch him without biting (but jump right to me if he doesn't like that person). And their smells is undeniable!!! The whole household love to sniff Pui. Smells good and calming, one of the reason why I love him as my shoulder bird.

THE BAD
    I have mentioned that Pui doesn't respond good in any call or food. I don't know if it's typical of all Indian ringnecks or it's just Pui who got that personality. Pui is totally different from my sun conure which is a velcro bird, doesn't want to leave me --> which sometimes really annoys me when I have to do my work.

THE UGLY
    What's the different of bad and ugly? My Pui is beautiful, not ugly :D :D

katebf38 and cassiesdad like this.
  3. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    Your description of Pui is the exact way I described Titan, our IRN. :) For 26 wonderful years, he was calm, stable, and independent. He was our first "birdie ambassador"...visiting countless schools, nursing homes, etc...bringing joy to all he met. Titan also would sit with my BIL while he was on the computer, just like Pui does with you. :)
    My BIL was Titan's "best buddy" ...although anyone could interact with him. After Marty passed early last year, Titan went to Marty's church services, where he chimed right in during the hymns.

Titan passed away in February, 2017...just weeks after Marty did, and days after his 26th hatchday. I know they're together now, sitting at a computer...eating almonds together...

veronica2000 likes this.
  4. BashTinkLuna

OST
    I'm so sorry for Titan but he has been through a long and beautiful life. I still believe that bird is the most loyal pet. Most of them died when their owner died. I believe Titan and Marty are now somewhere over the rainbow, unseparable. Huff.. typing this put tears on my eyes. But thank you for sharing your story :)

cassiesdad likes this.
  5. Valeriaquintan

Valeriaquintan Checking out the neighborhood

Valeria
    I have an IRN he is about 3 months old.. But recently he is been really sleepy and he is always puffing his feathers. I went to a granary and they told me to buy him antibiotics then I went to PetSmart and they told me that they have no antibiotics can someone please tell me what to do or if I should worried or that's normal...

6. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    You need to have your little one checked out by an AV as soon as possible...

7. BashTinkLuna

OST
    Soon visit Avian Vet... try to handfeed him formula again and put under warm light or sun while waiting time to visit the vet.

8. CrowCall

CrowCall Sprinting down the street

Trinity
    WELP, I think I need a ringneck after reading this thread. ANNND here I go deeper into birdie obsession :rolleyes: I wonder how much money I can make off selling handmade parrot plushes...

9. cassiesdad

Bob Weisman
    IRNs are great birds...and sometimes they get disrespected as companion birds. I think a lot of that is due to the "non-cuddly" aspect the species has. They are intelligent birds...and have great personalities..and can become very devoted to their people. :)

10. CrowCall

Trinity
    Pretty much everything I've been looking for in a companion parrot! A relatively stable personality is a bonus too. My local parrot shop has handfed mutations for I think 500-900 depending on the mutation.

cassiesdad likes this.
  11. cassiesdad

Bob Weisman
    Things have definitely changed over the years.

We bought Titan, our IRN, in 1991...from a breeder who was working at one of the chain pet stores in the local mall. She was hand-feeding a clutch of three baby IRNs..two of which were already sold. We agreed to buy the last of the babies...the "runt" of the clutch.

The price...100 dollars. We definitely got our money's worth...Titan flew up to the Bridge last year, at the age of 26...:heart:

katebf38 likes this.
  12. CrowCall

Trinity
    Well, the shop in general is pretty expensive too, the sell normal CAGs for 3000!!:faint:

However, they do take really good care of the babies and have a huge flight Room.

cassiesdad likes this.
  13. Budgiebuds

Budgiebuds Moving in

I have one male Indian ringneck and he bites and nips quite often but I think that's only because his previous home wasn't very good. Though he does like being stroked sometimes and he does like being talked to and held most of the time. He is also very independent compared to my other parrots

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)