• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly About Green Aracaris

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual bird.

The good
They are fun and funny! Unlike parrots, they really cannot scream,or give a puncturing bite. They are quite intelligent, and do like to bang toys around, chase balls, and can fly up to catch one in midair!
Pico loves to hang out with me, sitting on my arm or shoulder. He flies to me, and is very easy to put back in his cage if I need him to go. He loves scritches, beak rubs, and cuddling inside my clothes...lol. I think he likes the warmth.
He gives good banana beak kisses.:)
The bad
Diet and the droppings that can stain things, are probably two of the more challenging aspects of keeping any toucan species. They must have low iron fruits,special low iron pellets, and a small amount of veggies.They are prone to hemachromatosis{iron storage disease} The food they eat is processed very quickly, so imagine putting blackberries,papaya,grapes,and blueberries in a blender,then tossing it around the room. It can get messy, so it helps to know this and protect the area with plastic, paper, etc.. They need a lot of space, which may also be a challenge for some. Aracaris cannot climb bars, so they should not be clipped. They do enjoy and need a large water bowl in which to bathe, since they eat fruit which is sticky.
The ugly
Although I mentioned they don't scream or give a puncturing bite, they can make a constant annoying sound when they want something, and can pinch rather hard. They do have large serrations on the edge of the beak.

They can be aggressive towards other birds, and dangerous to small birds.

Last edited by a moderator:

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Beautiful! So glad you posted this!!

Buckbeak

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I find the annoying noise to be particularly adorable:heart:, but then again I don't live with the aracari I know (and he is a curl-crested, anyway) :D

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very informative Carole! And Pico is so stunning!:heart:

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Thoroughly complete summary, Carole. Love the detailed close-up of the head shot.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks everyone. I could go on, but tried to keep it short and sweet.:D
I find the annoying noise to be particularly adorable:heart:, but then again I don't live with the aracari I know (and he is a curl-crested, anyway) :D
You might be thinking of the cool rattle/purr sound they make. That is a good sound. There is another sound they can make...it's pretty nerve rattling. And don't forget I live with parrots, so I am not singling him out. He does it mostly if I am late with breakfast...:p

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for sharing that information about aracaris? I loved the pictures too. I have always had a fascination with toucans, and frankly didn't even realize it was legal to own them until recently.

it was great to learn more about them, and helpful to get a balanced and brief introduction. Thanks!:) :laughing12:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a wonderful read and a real treat to see him again!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you.:)
I thought of another cool thing! The Green Aracari is sexually dimorphic. Which means no need for sexing. It can be done visually. Notice Pico's head is black, and he has a fairly long beak.
This is a female Green Aracari
note the shorter beak and brown head
5218838527_4b5f594cea_z.jpg

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
And obviously you have provided a wonderfully natural habitat for them, cuz that sure looks like the jungle to me!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I wish that was my jungle..;)

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Great write-up!

Ashleigh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ashleigh
Wow I knew nothing about this spices of bird. Thanks for sharing! :D
I am just in love with those pictures. :heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks everyone. Please other members with green aracaris, feel free to add your input.:)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What an awesome photo!!!:rofl: I have some similar of Pico! You might try some neutral colors, maybe even french? If you were using red, that would be a definite trigger for many birds. You might even get away with a light pink.:)

aubs1220

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Aubrey
Love it! May look into rescuing one in the (far) future. So cute! I have to wait until I have a ton more room, or win the lottery....:D