• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The floof is strong!

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I still can't get over how floofy they are! I feel like I will always be amazed.
One of my girlfriends on the other hand can't stand it, and thinks my birds look ridiculously angry all the time.

This is Marilyn, she's a Cinnamon hen from Terry Jukes' line of birds. He's a world champion breeder from the UK. Her parents and grandparents and great grandparents were all bred by Terry, and her great-great grandfather was a German bred bird by Jo Mannes. (Holy smokes, I can't even believe I have her lineage going back that far)

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
She´s a fluffy stunner! Very beautiful ❤
Yes the seconds picture she looks like she has a little angry face, but boy is she cute!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute. :)

Jazzy*

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
abbie
she is very pretty, so much feathers hard to see her eyes !
the last pic is cute with her head turned

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:D:fluff1:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've just looked back at earlier pics of Jack, and he is definitely floofin'. Side by side the change is very dramatic - and he's still a juvenile. I look forward to a good floof-off in a few months.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I think those hybrids are really cool. It's too bad that their life expectancies are so short.
That's a beautiful bird you have there. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She looks like she is read for a blue ribbon! Love all those throat patches. Is there such a thing as in breeding in the show budgie world?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
That is one gorgeous bunch of floof

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
She looks like she is read for a blue ribbon! Love all those throat patches. Is there such a thing as in breeding in the show budgie world?

Unfortunately yes, but it's not called "Inbreeding", it's called "Line Breeding". There is NO difference, I'm pretty sure people who inbreed call it linebreeding in an attempt to make it sound less harmful or make themselves feel better about it.

There are rules that people who linebreed follow. No close relatives are bred, but breeding an uncle to a niece, or a greatgrandparent to a greatgrandchild is considered "OK". This is NOT ok in my books.
As far as I can tell, Marilyn has not been linebred, thank god. I've got 5 generations of her pedigree, and she's come from amazing breeders.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I once bought a young cat at a cat show. It was an Ocicat and she was a dream cat until all the medical problems began. Vet said with the multiple issues she was most likely inbred. She lived for 16 years with tons of $ spent on her health. She had bone weakness which showed up as a fractured jaw and maxillary bone. She had a heart murmur along with asthma which at times was really bad. She had vaccine reactions so we stopped those. To top all that she had the worst gum disease not caused by poor hygiene.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
She's so precious :joyful: That's a lot of dots there! And she's so fluffy! :faint:I don't think I've ever seen an EB in person, how big are they compared to American/Australian budgies?

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I once bought a young cat at a cat show. It was an Ocicat and she was a dream cat until all the medical problems began. Vet said with the multiple issues she was most likely inbred. She lived for 16 years with tons of $ spent on her health. She had bone weakness which showed up as a fractured jaw and maxillary bone. She had a heart murmur along with asthma which at times was really bad. She had vaccine reactions so we stopped those. To top all that she had the worst gum disease not caused by poor hygiene.

Awww, poor kitty!

This sounds so similar to what one of my friends is going through with her Golden Retriever. That poor dog is allergic to EVERYTHING! He can't eat regular dog food, not even the specialty high end stuff with no additives. She has to cook every meal for him. Rice, eggs, pumpkin, fish ect.

He has patches of fur falling out, half his teeth have fallen out of his head, his elbows and hips are a mess, and he has fatty tumors growing in several places. The dog is only 4 years old, from a "responsible" breeder. Poor pup.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The dog is only 4 years old, from a "responsible" breeder. Poor pup.

Just not right to do this to a dog because of a breeding line.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:heart2:I think it's cute the way the English budgies have foofy faces and look grumpy. :heart: :heart:

EnglishBudgMom

Walking the driveway
I've just looked back at earlier pics of Jack, and he is definitely floofin'. Side by side the change is very dramatic - and he's still a juvenile. I look forward to a good floof-off in a few months.
FLOOF-OFF!!! Is that the English Budgie equivalent of "Blue Steel"??? I love it!! Bubbles' "floof" is just beginning to come in with his first molt. His breeder told he his Dad has massive floofage...

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't think Jack could compete in a floof-off as he's not an English budgie. He's what we refer to as an American budgie, much smaller and not as floofy.
But what breeders have started doing over here is breeding some English budgie back into the genes, so we're starting to see some of the old characteristics coming back. Jack is a larger 'american' budgie that looks to be just 2 generations from this back crossing. He is very handsome with his small but noticeable floof. I'm sure when he's matured his englishness will shine through.
Really would be great to see an annual AA Floof-off though.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Marilyn is quite the Floofy beauty! :heart: