• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The End of the Road for Jacko and I...- Update Post #90

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
Jacko went for her follow up today.

Lungs still clear, arrhythmia still present but better, so far so good :)

Plan this week is to slowly wean her off the afternoon Lasix dose and add an Enalapril dose in the AM.
She will go back for another check-up next Saturday (or earlier if she needs it) with the plan to go from weekly check-ups to bi-weekly to monthly. She will keep getting monthly visits until she dies.

Cardiologist is still adamant that the pimobendan is the way to go. I am understandably upset she cannot come up with (and her words were 'well Pimo works the best so that or nothing') or won't come up with some other drug to use.
Time for a second opinion methinks.

Still waiting to hear back from the oxygen concentrator supplier I emailed to see what international shipping will cost (if possible).
Keeping my fingers crossed (and knocking on plenty of wood!) that she'll stay stable and ok until her O2 concentrator gets here.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Your doing the best you can, that's all you can do. I admire your resolve and dedication to give Jacko the best possible quality of life, she is a very fortunate parrot ,you're compassionate selfless efforts, will surely be rewarded on many levels in you're life's journey. :heart2:

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
She's up another seven grams today.

She's making me a little nervous, she had a 'gotta take a break' episode today (first I've seen) where she started flapping and climbing a lot but then seemed to be out of breath and not able to keep climbing up her cage. However, it was much milder and she didn't fall down or look dazed, just a bit of slightly open mouth breathing and some tail bobbing. I 'rescued' her and helped her get to where she was going. When she's calm there's no open mouth and only slight tail bobbing. She also regularly goes upside down and flaps of her own free will, so...I guess this is her new normal? I mean, her lungs were clear as of 4pm yesterday so, surely they're still clear?

Argh this makes me so, so nervous.

I wonder if she'll need to go back on the Lasix injections? God I don't want to have to do that to her but I don't know if the oral route is keeping her lungs clear.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
*sighs*

Looks like it might be time for Jacko to go to the bridge tomorrow.
She has had 3 little 'episodes' tonight.
As soon as she catches her breath she wants to fly and babble and do all the stuff she likes to do....but as soon as she flies any distance at all she crashes to the ground and is breathless and wobbly.
This is no quality of life for her.

I am breaking inside.

But I think it might be time.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no! I'm so terribly sorry. My heart goes out to you and Jacko. I was hoping she would still have some quality time.
:sadhug2:

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry to hear that she's struggling again. Do you think it might be worth trying the Lasix injections or a different dose of the Pimo before deciding that she's done? Of course you know her better than any of us, but it's not uncommon for human patients with cardiac conditions to need several medication adjustments before finding a regimen that works. It's not uncommon to have some adverse reactions as a patient is getting these adjustments done, and it doesn't necessarily mean that the medication in question won't work at an appropriate dose.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
*sighs*

Looks like it might be time for Jacko to go to the bridge tomorrow.
She has had 3 little 'episodes' tonight.
As soon as she catches her breath she wants to fly and babble and do all the stuff she likes to do....but as soon as she flies any distance at all she crashes to the ground and is breathless and wobbly.
This is no quality of life for her.

I am breaking inside.

But I think it might be time.
You know in your heat of hearts when it's time, sometimes all we are doing is prolonging the inevitable, for the sake of one more day , week, maybe if your lucky, at what cost ? let her go peacefully and with grace, as it is her time. we are not God . you gave her your all, in that, embrace your time you have had with her,. It's so very hard to let go. You have given her so much more quality life than a lot of people and other unfortunate creatures will ever experience .:hug5:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You know in your heat of hearts when it's time, sometimes all we are doing is prolonging the inevitable, for the sake of one more day , week, maybe if your lucky, at what cost ? let her go peacefully and with grace, as it is her time. we are not God . you gave her your all, in that, embrace your time you have had with her,. It's so very hard to let go. You have given her so much more quality life than a lot of people and other unfortunate creatures will ever experience .:hug5:
Beautifully worded, @Just-passn-thru

And @Grey_Moon :sadhug2:from our flock to yours.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:sorrow: You did everything that was best for her. She was playful through the end because you gave her love and a happy life. :sadhug: We're all here for you.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im so sorry for your loss ..know in your heart you did everything you could for her and she had the best life :sorrow:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
:sorrow:I'm so very sorry. She knew she was loved, and you gave her a wonderful home filled with love and respect. You did your best for her, and that's what counts.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that Jacko left you. Remember to love her every day - she hasn't gone far you know.

Jacko, enjoy being healthy and able to do everything you like to do. Say hi to all of our buddies that are already there - and fly high and free.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
So so sorry

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I am sorry :sorrow: I had my :fingerscrossed: that something would happen or change for the better. :hug9:

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I'm so sorry to hear this. Jacko was very loved.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry for your loss.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I'm so sorry, tears for you:sad3:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so sorry. You gave Jacko a wonderful life and your love for her was so obvious and beautiful to witness.