• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The End of the Road for Jacko and I...- Update Post #90

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
*sighs*

It's been a rough week for my girl and I.

Jacko collapsed Monday night for unknown reasons and just returned home from the vet yesterday after being touch and go for a few days and spending a couple nights in ICU with oxygen.

Her heart appears to be failing.

She collapsed Monday because her lungs suddenly filled with fluid and she couldn't breoathe. As much as I know it is unlikely that it 'came out of nowhere' because birds hide illnesses I am normally so, so attuned to Jacko it scares me I missed it.
I *never* want to see her like that again....flopped over and on her side, struggling to breathe.

Xrays revealed a slightly enlarged heart and with her atherosclerosis history both the vet and I knew what we were likely looking at.

She's home now, on furosemide and enalapril, and even if it's just for a little while she's back to doing all the things she likes to do.
She has a heart ultrasound scheduled tomorrow (Monday) for her final, official diagnosis but regardless of the results things don't look very good for my girl. The vet feels right now that her survival time is about 6-24 months.

We were supposed to spend decades together and now because she lived in a horrible home with abusive smokers who fed her steak before she came to me she's going to die before she reaches 25...probably before 20. She's only 18 years old. I've done everything and tried so hard for 13 years to give her the healthiest, best life...but..it wasn't enough to undo the damage from her early years.

I'm so mad and heartbroken. She doesn't deserve this.
I love her so much and I'm stuck somewhere between being happy she survived after collapsing and consumed with grief and anxiety that she'll never be healthy again and this is really only extra time to say goodbye. I mean, she might not even make 6 months and I'm trying to cherish every minute but the pain is overwhelming and sometimes all I can do is cry.

I keep hoping for miracles/non-terminal results tomorrow and maybe we can do something and she can live longer...but I don't think I can stand getting my hopes crushed like that so I'm trying to be realistic.
But that leaves me with that horrible countdown/ticking time bomb.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
:sad7: I'm so sorry her future doesn't look good! But wait and see what the results are. :hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I am so sorry.
BUT Do not give up hope!
My 40 yr old BCC has been on heart meds for over 2 years and that is going fine.
Some others have birds on heart meds, some for many years...they use oxygen therapy also.
Check out those threads (Hankmacaw, Macawnitz and Danita) and discuss with your vet.
Hugs to you and Jacko:sadhug2::sadhug2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Never give up. Jasper was diagnosed 16 years ago with severe congestive heart failure and occluded arterial chambers. She was put on Enalapril and furosemide. Later the Enalapril was substituted with Benazepril to help with the high blood pressure she had developed. Since the first diagnosis she has developed severe atherosclerosis, had two bouts with Asper and numerous bacterial infections. Her immune system was almost non-existent.

What has kept her alive - constant medical and nursing care - along with a low fat diet, plenty of sleep and her medications supplemented by DMG and RPO, and Milk Thistle. Quite important has been that for the last 12 years she has had two hours perday of Oxygen therapy. I bought an oxygen concentrator and set up a large clear plastic storage box for he oxygen. Consistency with her care and medical intervention are critical. It has cost a lot of money and a lot of worry on my and my vet's part, but Jasper is doing well. She was just at Dr. Driggers last Thrus. and she got a clean bill of health (for her).

Never give up.

JASPER in her Oxygen box
Oxygen Box_1_1.JPG

JASPER looks great and lives a full happy life
JaperTree.jpg

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I am so sorry. Don't give up - :hug8:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:

Scary she fell & her lungs had fluid but lets hope some treatment can bring some good more time...

Sorry but I hate smokers & there insensitivity to the trauma they cause when they smoke around others.

If your going to kill yourself don;t take others with you...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about Jacko but don't give up. As others here have indicated there is always hope and with the correct medication, supplements and love he may very well outlast the vet's lifespan prediction.

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for your support and encouragement, it's massively appreciated.

I am trying so hard to remain positive and hopeful but I am feeling pretty burnt out emotionally right now, but am ready to do whatever I can to help prolong Jacko's life and keep her comfortable.

Never give up. Jasper was diagnosed 16 years ago with severe congestive heart failure and occluded arterial chambers. She was put on Enalapril and furosemide. Later the Enalapril was substituted with Benazepril to help with the high blood pressure she had developed. Since the first diagnosis she has developed severe atherosclerosis, had two bouts with Asper and numerous bacterial infections. Her immune system was almost non-existent.

What has kept her alive - constant medical and nursing care - along with a low fat diet, plenty of sleep and her medications supplemented by DMG and RPO, and Milk Thistle. Quite important has been that for the last 12 years she has had two hours perday of Oxygen therapy. I bought an oxygen concentrator and set up a large clear plastic storage box for he oxygen. Consistency with her care and medical intervention are critical. It has cost a lot of money and a lot of worry on my and my vet's part, but Jasper is doing well. She was just at Dr. Driggers last Thrus. and she got a clean bill of health (for her).
Hankmacaw, Jacko has done the reverse wherein we started with the Asper, atherosclerosis and numerous infections (her immune system has always been poor). I am very inspired by Jasper's story and her will to live and good quality of life. I don't mind being Jacko's around-the-clock nurse as long as she keeps feeling good and enjoying her life, if that's what it takes to keep her in my life (especially if she can be as lucky as your Jasper and get 16+ years!) then I'll do it.

The oxygen therapy makes sense...my mom has CHF and it helps her massively (she was diagnosed at 38...she's 44 now and still kicking)
I'm up in Canada though and keep trying to find an online supplier for refurbished/rebuilt oxygen concentrators but haven't had any luck. I don't have the $5000 it would cost to get a new one. Do you have any ideas?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Danita the owner of this forum lives in Vancouver, BC and she recently bought a very expensive oxygen setup for a rescue Cockatoo she had (the Cockatoo died of lung cancer), but I'm almost sure that before she bought the expensive hospital unit, she had ordered a cheaper refurbished unit. Perhaps she will come on and let us know.

Meanwhile this is where @Macawnutz and I got our refurbished units. Mine has lasted 12 years and Sarah's several years. She and I both have the Devilbiss 525D. Oxygen Concentrators - Used, Rebuilt & Refurbished Concentrators Interestingly, Oxygen Plus was listed under my search for "refurbished oxygen concentrators Canada". There were several others listed, but I know that this outfit is good to deal with.

Because Jacko is oxygen deprived that means that all of her organs are under stress (in addition to her history of Asper and infections) and I would suggest that you start her on the following supplements to support her liver, kidneys and immune system - if you aren't already.

1. Red Palm Oil - SUNSHINE FACTOR – Here are the facts | Harrison's Bird Foods I like this essay by Dr. Harrison becasue he debunks a bunch of the scare stories some people tell about RPO.

2. Milk Thistle - "•MILK THISTLE-- Seeds contain silymarin, a flavonoid that is effective for liver disorders. This is the main herbal ingredient of Aloe Detox and the number one herb for the treatment of all liver problems. Milk thistle has been used without side effects for years." Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician V - Herbal Remedies For Parrots and Pet Birds SAMe is also recommended for liver support and Jasper is also on that.

3. DMG - DMG: A Nutrient for the New Millennium By Dr. Wissman, DVM one of the most respected vets in the USA.

The best of everything for you and Jacko. Keep us up to date and never give up.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am very sorry.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm so sorry. Never give up. Never give up. :hug8:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
This must be so difficult for you. I am sorry Jacko is having health troubles.
Prayers coming your way that with medicine and therapies the condition will be manageable.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:bighug:

Grey_Moon

Meeting neighbors
Thanks folks.

I'll never give up on her, I just wanted to be realistic and make sure I don't get so busy fighting/planning for her future that I don't take every little moment to love on her and make things special for her.

Still, I am slowly becoming more hopeful. She's doing well and even flying and flapping around with no signs of distress. Her appetite is back too.

Hankmacaw, just curious but do you have a thread outlining what Jasper eats etc/would you mind telling me? I'd love to know.
Jacko has a hard time with pellets (former seed junkie) and we just got her settled on Roudybush Low Fat Maintenance a few months ago. She's had Harrisons' (the high potency) but it gave her fatty blood so we stopped that a long time ago and have avoided similar 'high potency' formulas. I've tried doing a more 'fresh' non-pelleted diet but she really is quite picky unless it's all blended into one goop.

I'll keep you guys updated on her ultrasound results and let you know as soon as possible.
Thank you all so, so much for the support!

I haven't cried nearly so much today.

Last edited:

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Best of luck to you and Jacko. Never give up hope.

Im dealing with a similar situation, I have a blind three legged bunny who should of died in February. I say "should of" as his systems were literally shutting down and the vet didn't think he would of lived another 48 hours. It turned out he had an autoimmune thing and a very bad parasite from living in a crowded rabbit meat farm 4 years earlier.
Right now he's gained weight and is full of life, so I'm hopeful he'll make it till the end of the year!:)

Jackos lucky to have you, and most likely would have died a lot sooner if you didn't step in to save her.

Wishing for the best:sad7:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Grey_Moon First of all keep her on the Roudybush low calorie. The objective of a diet for a circulatory/respiratory challenged bird is to keep it very low fat and to keep the bird slim as well. For the rest of her diet I have Jasper on a very green chop made of of mostly veggies and a little brown rice quinoa mixed. She also gets Harrison's pellets, nutriberries and some bird bars that were given to me that are veggie/berry and in a bisquit form. If you want to give nuts restrict them to almonds - they are the lowest fat and high calcium of all nuts.

Jasper's chop is mainly Swiss Chard, beet tops, Anaheim peppers, shredded beets, yellow crook squash, shredded carrots, zucchini squash, Frozen blueberries and frozen mixed vegetables. With you CAG make sure some of the vegetables are high calcium and put a mineral block in her cage.

Your bird needs some exercise, but not too much and she needs 12 hours per night of sleep. Preferably in a sleep cage, like a dog crate that is padded on the bottom with a blanket. She can't fall off the bottom of her crate. My vet is very much for all birds sleeping in a crate. Sleep Cage_02.JPG

Ask questions if I have forgotten anything

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Good advice for you here , lots of experienced members wiling to stay by your side and guide you through this . Your not alone :grouphug2: Many shoulders to lean on. :heart:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry to hear this sending healing thoughts and tons of hugs :hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8::hug8:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so very sorry. Don't give up hope, because maybe with the meds, supplements and oxygen she will be okay for a long time.
:sadhug2: