• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Dyson stick!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The tile floor attachment can't handle Harrison's pellets (coarse). The 2.5 gal shopvac doesn't have a floor attachment that I can find. The harrison's made ominous noises going into the little shopvac's hose. I'm going to Lowes to get a shopvac, the smallest one with a large diameter hose. Dyson does okay on little woodchips. Change of plan, see below!

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yep, sometimes you just have to think sideways and suddenly you find a unexpected solution to your problem. And that's why we have like 3 or 4 vacuums around, one of them will be best or most convenient for the job at hand.
I started putting raw home speakers in my cars when I built up my stereos setups because I could get them cheap and pick exactly what I wanted, They always sounded better then the typical car speakers you could buy. Speakers don't know or care what they are in, just feed them some sound and they work.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
nutriberries skitter away from it. Chokes on chewed up toilet paper. Online troubleshooting is good but I can't see this thing being an efficient tool. To vacuum up nutriberries you would just set the floor part of a shopvac on top of it right?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yep, as long as the hose is big enough. You might want to consider a orec XL shoulder vac for quick pickups too. The hose is smallish but it should be able to grab a Nutri Berri. My stick vac won't pick them up either unless it's broken down to chunks. I think you'll need just a hose or a floor pickup with a wide enough opening to make it work. Now of course a shop vac with the bigger hose and nozzle should pick up anything, including a small bird if they held still.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I really do not care for the company as a whole and the products they sell are way overpriced. Used to have one of their so called top vacuum cleaners and it quit on me after the warranty expired of course. I hope you have better luck that I did.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yep, as long as the hose is big enough. You might want to consider a orec XL shoulder vac for quick pickups too. The hose is smallish but it should be able to grab a Nutri Berri. My stick vac won't pick them up either unless it's broken down to chunks. I think you'll need just a hose or a floor pickup with a wide enough opening to make it work. Now of course a shop vac with the bigger hose and nozzle should pick up anything, including a small bird if they held still.
Thanks Terry. It’s useful as long as you respect it’s limitations, the Dyson I mean. I have to find the smallest shopvac with a big hose. Perhaps the six gallon? I’ll go to the store and look tomorrow.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Too bad that the Dyson is not necessarily doing what you need and want it to do. Are you considering returning it?
For quick pick ups I use a Shark hand vac (corded because the cordless charge doesn't last long) but a stick would be nicer. Do they make sticks with a hose attachment?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I really do not care for the company as a whole and the products they sell are way overpriced. Used to have one of their so called top vacuum cleaners and it quit on me after the warranty expired of course. I hope you have better luck that I did.
The parts slide on and off like a dream. I think I’ll keep it for light cleaning, birds are fine with it now.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You got the V8 right? That's the best one Dyson makes so if it doesn't do it yep, get a small shop vac and be happy. Remember to check Slick Deals and do a search for small shop vacs, maybe somebody has a good deal on one near you.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You got the V8 right? That's the best one Dyson makes so if it doesn't do it yep, get a small shop vac and be happy. Remember to check Slick Deals and do a search for small shop vacs, maybe somebody has a good deal on one near you.
Ok thanks, I will!