• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The dust?

Newt

Meeting neighbors
I am finding myself leaning ore and more towards a cockatiel or pair of `tiels. Mainly because I did grow up with them and I am familiar with them. Also partly due to pricing. In my area it seems like anything beyond a parakeet or tiel is over $1000 and I just don`t have that.

The one main concern I have is the dust. Thing is, I never remember my moms birds having a lot of dust. She also cleaned their cage everyday and they got a bath everyday. My roommate has allergies and I did ask if birds are okay. She said she has never had an issue with them. She is allergic to cats and dogs, and I have both a cat and dog but I brush them both every other day. She says they don`t bother her and she is even able to pet them without issue. She lives in the upstairs and I am in the basement so either way she will seldom come around the birds. I also read online that misting the cage right before cleaning helps to not kick the dust into the air. Does anyone else have tips or hints on this?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Do you have air purifier? Try damp cloth to wipe down cages, either plain water or watered down vinegar dampened cloth.

Zephyria

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
TDawn Maddox
I have one tiel and I don't find him too bad to clean up after....just dust once a week and if her allergies do indeed show to be an issue, invest in an air purifier. With allergies being a concern though, I wouldn't dive into having multiple tiels....just get one.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you have limited funds can you afford certified avian vet care? It can be several hundred dollars if there is an illness or injury. The cost often doubles when you have two birds as in my case. They need a yearly exam also.

In addition to a good quality air filtration system you can wear a mask when you are cleaning the cage and get the birds used to a bath or spritz often.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My Tiel wasn’t too dusty. Sure there was dust and after he preened I would have Some dust on my shirt, but nothing not managable:) He was an older rescue and only wanted a bath about monthly.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy is very dusty when she is molting, not so much the rest of the year.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Air purifiers are highly recommended if you have dusty birds or actually if you have any kind of birds or other pets. When it comes down to it due to our "clean" environment (hahaha) every home should have an air purifier or two.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
If you have limited funds can you afford certified avian vet care?
I actually work in a veterinary hospital that sees birds. As an employee I get billed rather than paying upfront for everything. This is how my dog and diabetic cat stay in tip top shape :) I make monthly payments.

My allergies are not an issue, it is more my roommate. She actually does have an air purifier but it is certainly not a bad idea for me to get one as well since I do have an allergy to pollen and such. Certainly can`t hurt.

tielluver

Strolling the yard
Real Name
pat pritchard
I have had birds most of my life, cockatiels for the past 19 years. I do have an allergy to cats but no birds ever made me allergic. They mostly get dusty when they molt and get new feathers, preening them. but even with 5 tiels the feather dust has not been a problem. And mine are free flight all day in certain rooms of the house. I wouldn't think it would be an issue for your roommate, especially since you are on 2 different floors. What I did was get a padded terri cloth type mat you can buy in houseware dept. for setting dishes on to dry. I put that on cage bottom, and put paper on it. I change the paper daily. The dish mat was bought when my pair had 3 babies, they needed a softer place to walk on, also so they wouldn't fall through the cage bars. I believe it keeps dust down, at least what falls on the paper. A person can also be allergic to the poop I heard, as when dry it can be inhaled if in tiny pieces. It can also make the bird sick. bacteria.The paper catches that too. If you let your bird fly around in a certain area you can also use old sheets or whatever to cover furniture, etc. It can be shaken outside, washed. This also catches the dust. But I really can't say the dust, even the poop has really been an issue. Especially if you have only 1 or 2 birds. The pet stores have a cleaner for bird poop that works great, in a spray bottle. they often have it on sale. lasts quite a while.

Newt

Meeting neighbors
She did mention that they had parakeets at one point and those were not an issue. I still might get an air purifier though, makes it healthier for the birds

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I'm asthmatic, allergic to cats, dogs, pollen, etc. and I have a cockatiel :lol:Sounds like the worse idea ever & I don't have an air purifier but the dust has never caused me any problems with my asthma nor allergies, even while cleaning. Unless Charlie preens and shakes his dust while on my shoulder, then I sneeze and my nose tickles and starts getting runny (allergies, no asthma though) but it's easily endurable. When it gets bad I just put him back into his cage for a lil while until he finishes preening and my symptoms get better, have an antihistamine, and move on :) Sure, I have only been with him for a month, but I'm willing to endure it for my feathery friend :) Might get an air purifier eventually. So unless your 'tiel shakes his dust into your roommates face, I doubt there will be any issues. Everyone is different though, and allergies can vary a lot, so it's still a bit risky. Can she spend some time with a tiel to see if she has any allergic reaction to them before you adopt?

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Oh whoops, I just realized this thread is super old, oh well! It's unfortunate Charlie's favourite spot for preening is my shoulder :lol:What wouldn't I do for birds... :)