• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures The Connor N' Roxy Thread!!

Should dogs be able to run off-leash in large, clear spaces?

• Yes

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Only if they are well-trained!

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Sooo, instead of taking up space with a bunch of threads, this will be the place for all future Connor and Roxy updates! Hope you enjoy!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Here is some Connor to start us off! Me and him were goofing off in my room. The last few are him in his crate. He's only in it at night and when everyone is out of the house, AKA not often. KINDLE_CAMERA_1530391055000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1530391063000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1530391107000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1530391319000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1530391362000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1530391370000.jpg Am I able to post photos with me in them here? I would like to.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Connor is pretty cute. I voted in your poll only if well trained. I would include in being well trained that he does not approach other people or other dogs when off leash. That he has demonstrated in the past that he does not approach other people or dogs off leash. That he has an immediate recall on command. And that he has no tendency to chase or kill wild animals and that you have tested him and confirmed that he does not harass wildlife even when the opportunity presents itself. I'd be extra cautious of having him out in open spaces during the breeding season so that he isn't killing baby rabbits or pregnant females or fledglings.
Those are just things that I like to see (but rarely see) when I encounter other people with their dog off leash. I can't count the number of times I encounter people with their dog off leash and their dog runs in to approach mine. I don't know anything about someone else's dog's personality so it causes me some anxiety. A lot of people think their dog is the sweetest thing ever, when in reality they are fine with people but not with other dogs or wildlife. Remember wide open spaces constitutes habitat for other animals as well. And, when out in wide open spaces, you should always consider it a training session. Even if you are just reinforcing previously learned training to keep your dog focused on a task rather than just running at random which tends to lead to trouble. Mine is a hunting dog. During the off season (now) he becomes ball obsessed and we have many enjoyable hikes in the woods and around the lake completely ignoring wild animals for the sake of finding the precious ball. I take the ball away in September and he turns into a flushing/hunting dog for my hawks. Although, he isn't a kill it kind of hunting dog and he doesn't chase the stuff he flushes. That is the way a good dog interacts with wild life during the proper seasons. Dogs who like to chase a running rabbit, should be leashed. At least during the breeding season. Preferably always unless the goal is specifically to hunt and only then with a license and during the legal season.
I just felt the need to specify since everyone thinks their dog is the best ever. Not trying to be rude about it though.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Of course, many obvious reasons. Connor does wander toward people, dogs, and wildlife, but has a wonderful recall, and I usually make sure the large field behind our house is empty, as an extra precaution. It is a school field, so people aren't often there, despite being able to use it for pretty much anything during the summer or after 3:00 PM. Roxy doesn't care about anything but me :xflove:, but she is small and shy, so I have to watch for hawks and other dogs. With Connor, I have to call him back if he gets too far, but it's like Roxy has an invisible leash on her. She reaches about 20 feet away then automatically circles back. Even if they did get scared and bolt, both are chipped and have their tags on them at all times. Running your dog off-leash is an amazing experience, but you and your dog have to have a close bond and you have to have common sense in looking out for danger. Just a warning to anyone considering it.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Poor puppy! Connor cut his paw while out on a walk. He didn't act like it hurt, so we just picked up some powder to stop the bleeding. However, he apparently thinks it tastes good, so we had to bandage it until it scabbed over. He's doing fine, thank goodness. Plus a pic of us cuddling!
KINDLE_CAMERA_1530478230000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1530478252000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1530478307000.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great pictures.
What breed is Connor? How old is Connor? How long have you had him for?
I have a male Whippet (Devo) who is about 11 years old and a female Great Dane x Mastiff (Suzie) who is just over 2 years old. My daughter has claimed Suzie as her dog so I very rarely see her as she is with my daughter all the time. Devo is a tan dog who is easy to take photos of but Suzie is black and I find it hard to get a photo of her where you can see her features properly.....she usually just looks like a black blob in photos lol.

You have done well to get such clear pics of Connor considering he is all black :) I hope his paw heals quickly the poor puppy.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
We haven't done a DNA test, but we suspect Lab, Border Collie, and maybe Pointer or German Shepherd. He is 9 months old, we've had him 7 months. He's not really fully black, just a dark chocolate brown. VERY dark. His paw has already stopped bleeding, so we took the bandage off. He doesn't know he's hurt, lol. We have to gate him off to stop him from running around too much. Other than his paw, he's a normal, playful, goofy puppy!
KINDLE_CAMERA_1530391211000.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He does look like he may have a touch of German Shepherd in him. He is a happy looking fella :)

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Sleepy puppies! Roxy really likes the blanket in Connor's crate, and he is happy to sleep on the floor. I guess the woman really is in charge in most relationships! :laugh:
KINDLE_CAMERA_1533423182000.jpg KINDLE_CAMERA_1533423199000.jpg

Last edited:

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Woot! Got some sunny, high quality Connor photos!! Aaa Connor why are you so darn handsome
017FCE9A-87B4-4B69-8A7C-29877FB9B71B.jpeg 74216114-23B4-4682-9077-C1E2FDE503F3.jpeg 350E861A-32DB-4BC7-8ACD-777E243AD787.jpeg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Such a beauty!!!