• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The climbing net - FINALLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jocund^eternal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wow it looks great! And interweaving the rope instead of knotting them was a good idea too.

I would like to buy some manila rope from Knot and Rope Supply to finally make my own bird net and was wondering what diameter would be the best. I want it to be slightly thin so she’ll have a better grip while doing some acrobatic moves, but not too thin so she can actually perch on it. In your opinion, would the ½ rope be good, or should I get something thinner? Maybe the 3/8?

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
That's a great net! It looks like your fids are enjoying it!!

newatthistx

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Michele
I would like to buy some manila rope from Knot and Rope Supply to finally make my own bird net and was wondering what diameter would be the best. I want it to be slightly thin so she’ll have a better grip while doing some acrobatic moves, but not too thin so she can actually perch on it. In your opinion, would the ½ rope be good, or should I get something thinner? Maybe the 3/8?
IMO..... I would definately go with the 1/2" size.....I wouldn't want to risk it being to skinny or small

newatthistx

Real Name
Michele
Zydabird.....

any chance you can show some pictures of how you made the attachments at the four corners and how you hung it from the ceiling ?

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
I've been meaning to make one of these for a long time now. My aunt said we are going to be buying rope soon, so I'll put in my request ;) Your net looks amazing! And super duper cheap too. If it does move around too much (I know you said it didn't, but I thought I would mention it) you can put zip ties where the connect like an x so that it can't move. I definitely want to make one of these. I hope I can do the same thing with cotton, though I'm afraid it'll unravel if I try it this way. Oh well, we shall see when I get around to it!

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Awesome!!! I love it!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
That turned out nice! Yep, rope sure does take up more length if doing any sort of a knot or twist in it.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Zydabird.....

any chance you can show some pictures of how you made the attachments at the four corners and how you hung it from the ceiling ?
DSCF8557.jpg DSCF8558.jpg DSCF8559.jpg DSCF8560.jpg

I didn't do anything special on the corners, really. For the whole net, I cut the rope into 12 equal lengths and either looped back or tied a simple knot every other time. The corners are the same. All I did extra was tie the ends of the excess rope so that it wouldn't have any chance of slipping back through.
As for how it's hung, I just used stainless steel cup hooks (http://www.bluesbirdtoys.com/Cup-Hooks-in-Stainless-Steel_p_213.html). I'm not very happy with this and want to put some sort of ceiling protectors between the rope and the hooks so the birds can't lick or chew on the ceiling. I've been considering getting plastic bucket lids and attaching them to the ceiling by screwing through their centers with the hooks. Given my flock is all little birds, I think this will do the trick quite nicely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.