• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video The Cat & The wild Cockatoo

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
"Fear me kitty for I am cockatoo. What you don't fear me? Then I shall pull your fur. What you still don't fear me? Then I shall get your tail. So there!!!!"

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
And people see this and think: 'See, birds are safe from cats, that cat is not doing anything to the bird, MY cat would never hurt MY birds'

Where is the other pics, the ones showing the remaining feathers of a bird that was attacked by a cat.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
My cats would turn around the first time and get that Too ...Must have been a sleepie or old kitty :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love how the Too is just dying to bug the cat! Maybe he wants his food.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love how the Too is just dying to bug the cat! Maybe he wants his food.

My guess is it's a wild pair that think the cat is too close to their nest, but I hadn't considered they'd want the cat food!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was wondering if it was a wild cockatoo.

Then again was the cat drugged?

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
They are wild cockatoo's, I saw this vid a few years ago, friend of mine in aussieland sent it to me. I assumed the cat was used to being bugged by them and wasn't bothered. I do think they wanted his food. :)

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
And people see this and think: 'See, birds are safe from cats, that cat is not doing anything to the bird, MY cat would never hurt MY birds'

Where is the other pics, the ones showing the remaining feathers of a bird that was attacked by a cat.
I was going to post a link of a feral cat with a dead cockatoo in it's mouth, but decided to delete .

Seems Australia has a big problem with feral cats killing the cockatoos and other indigenous species due to development and urbanization infringing on the natural habitat. Very sad

:sad7:

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The link is broken and please keep it that way.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I was wondering if it was a wild cockatoo.

Then again was the cat drugged?
I'm sure these are wild cockatoos, probably in Aus. They want the bowl of food in front of the cat. The wild cockies around here are very bold and I'm not surprised at how close they get - like I say, they are bold but not stupid - they don't get within reach - and I'd say the cat is aware they can't reach his food and that he can't really do anything about them, and so doesn't try. He could chase them, but he's aware they just come back. I see cockies daily in my yard and beautiful as they are, I can't encourage them to stay.

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
This link should be broken, people will get the wrong idea, thinking it's ok to have the cat play with their birds :blink:
In this case, I'm positive we are watching wild birds that can't be controlled. The cat can be controlled, but it would be unfair to the cat if it was to be banned from the deck. The owners of the cat should find an alternative place to put the feed (inside the house). The feed being there is what's causing the problem.

I have some beautiful wild King Parrots that visit me for a free feed. Because of the cockatoos, I cannot simply leave the seed out there. The cockatoos simply chase the King Parrots away. So the King Parrots know they must look inside the window and catch my attention and then I bring them a seed bowl each. If the Cockatoos are around at the time, I need to sit out there and keep guard so the King Parrots can eat.

I love having wild cockatoos in my area, but not in my yard.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Looks to me like that bird is fully aware of the danger and knows the cat is old or doesn't care but bolts the minute it reacts to protect itself.
He really wants that food and is willing to take a calculated risk to get it.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
In this case, I'm positive we are watching wild birds that can't be controlled. The cat can be controlled, but it would be unfair to the cat if it was to be banned from the deck. The owners of the cat should find an alternative place to put the feed (inside the house). The feed being there is what's causing the problem.

I have some beautiful wild King Parrots that visit me for a free feed. Because of the cockatoos, I cannot simply leave the seed out there. The cockatoos simply chase the King Parrots away. So the King Parrots know they must look inside the window and catch my attention and then I bring them a seed bowl each. If the Cockatoos are around at the time, I need to sit out there and keep guard so the King Parrots can eat.

Please google feral cat's in Australia , of course its not the cats fault, but people let their cats roam and indeed they do infringe on indigenous animals of Australia.

Cats in Australia - Wikipedia

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Please google feral cat's in Australia , of course its not the cats fault, but people let their cats roam and indeed they do infringe on indigenous animals of Australia.

You're really arguing a separate point. TWR was referring to this case in particular, not the impact of feral cats on native fauna.

I've never had that problem with the toos I get. I prefer them not to visit due to noise, but a pair have recently discovered the joys of a passion fruit vine that has grown over a couple of trees in my yard and are now regular guests. They also eat from the food I sometimes give the galahs and lorikeets, but are yet to scare them away. I think it helps that they all come by at different times, and are contented by different things. The lorikeets happily eat apple slices I leave on the ground, and the galahs have no problem foraging the grass for fallen seed and other things if the hanging treats aren't available. It works out pretty well for everyone.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

You can't call that cat feral. It's sitting on its own back porch. At nighttime, it should be kept inside. During the day it should wear a bell on its collar. The bell should be loud enough that it prevents stealth stalking of our wildlife.

From that video I can't tell if the owner's take those precautions or not - that is a different issue. Right now we're just talking about situation in the video. Removing the cat's food bowl would solve the issue we are seeing here. Feral cats is a completely different topic.