• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures The biggest mess in my house belongs to....

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
My lovebirds stick their little tiny feet through the grate to pull up paper. I have started putting recycled paper bedding on top of it to discourage it and they sometimes play with the bedding lol. So I try to make sure I give them paper towel roll rings and other things like that to drag around lol. My Galah, Fred, has a cage grate a good 12" above the pan. Thank God! They're so funny when they throw stuff and my husband doesn't help when he laughs, actually we both laugh then I just clean up! They're just like little kids, they're so cute but yes, definitely make a big mess, and Fred isn't even the mess maker most of them are! Fred doesn't attack furniture or woodwork, only chews his stuff, thank God! But I make sure he has a lot to chew on with different varieties and textures! Wood pieces some hard some soft, paper rolls in 3 levels of firmness. Maybe he has enough to keep him entertained. They're all so cute though. :rofl:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You're lucky if you only find wood. :cautious: Talk about embarrassing! :o: And I'd checked, or so I thought.
Well, Elvis is potty trained (not by me). He never, ever goes on me. For all the chaos he creates in general that is one thing he doesn't do.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She would probably steal a pair of salad tongs and figure out how to use them! :rofl:
She's a Goffin's so she would definitely be able to do that. I used to give her the scoops from Exact hand feeding formula and she would scoop food out of her food dish and then eat out of the scoop. I've seen her use molted feathers to preen herself almost as if the molted feathers were combs. I would love to figure out how to set up a puzzle box for her like the ones I have seen researchers use with Goffin's to study their intelligence and mechanical abilities.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's a Goffin's so she would definitely be able to do that. I used to give her the scoops from Exact hand feeding formula and she would scoop food out of her food dish and then eat out of the scoop. I've seen her use molted feathers to preen herself almost as if the molted feathers were combs. I would love to figure out how to set up a puzzle box for her like the ones I have seen researchers use with Goffin's to study their intelligence and mechanical abilities.
I would love to do something like that for Elvis too. My biggest problem is when he's out of the cage he's always on the go and he doesn't want to sit and work on something.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would love to do something like that for Elvis too. My biggest problem is when he's out of the cage he's always on the go and he doesn't want to sit and work on something.
I would like something that she can have in her cage. I purchased the Busy Box but I haven't put it in the cage yet. She is still running away from it when I show it to her. However she isn't running away as quickly so once she starts touching it on her own I will put it in her cage. When Keno is out she either chews on the walls or bothers other birds and, just like Elvis, I know that she will not stay still most of the time to work on problem solving toys with me. Her favorite thing to do when she is out, though, is to visit Casey and try to convince him to preen her.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
She would probably steal a pair of salad tongs and figure out how to use them! :rofl:
I could see that happening.... they are that smart!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I lowered the cage tray. I don't think she will be able to reach the paper now but, as the saying goes: "Where there is a will there's a way." Knowing Keno she might just find a way.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Haha messy birds! I recently started hanging receipt paper rolls in his cage for when I’m at work. I come home to piles of unraveled receipt paper.