• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The BFA and the budgie incident.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Now this was as my wife put it...scary...but all in all it was really cute.
My BFA was perched on her living room perch enjoying the sunshine and looking out window. I had opened my budgies door to change water when the budgie hopped up into my wrist, then flew over to popper, my BFA. The budgie, twinkie, landed right smack in poppers back. Heard my wife go " hon...hon!!...hon!!!!!!! " I turned to see Twinkie on poppers back, and before I could even move poppers opens her mouth wide, grabs Twinkie ever so gently, and takes her off her back and sets her on perch next to her!!! The budgie scooted closer to poppers on perch, but poppers put her head down and with front of beak, nudged her back away from her....
Now if that isn't motherly instincts from the BFA, I don't know what is. How I wish I had video rolling of that!!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Okay, scary and cute, you're right. :) Your BFA sounds very sweet.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a similar but more violent incident. Amazon flew to quaker's cage. He charged at her and she grabbed him by the neck and threw him on the floor. Thankfully, quakers are so fluffy, she just had feathers and he had a bare spot but that was it. Lesson learned, I make sure all little birds are in their cage and the cage covered when amazons are out. Actually, right now, I have cages arranged such that when amazons are out, only other large birds are in the room and none of the other birds in that room are territorial enough to charge an amazon.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I had a similar but more violent incident. Amazon flew to quaker's cage. He charged at her and she grabbed him by the neck and threw him on the floor. Thankfully, quakers are so fluffy, she just had feathers and he had a bare spot but that was it. Lesson learned, I make sure all little birds are in their cage and the cage covered when amazons are out. Actually, right now, I have cages arranged such that when amazons are out, only other large birds are in the room and none of the other birds in that room are territorial enough to charge an amazon.
Ouch!!!! Glad that one didn't end badly! Mind if I ask, was it a male amazon? Was it close to hormonal or in hormonal season? That's when you really have to watch them. My zon can't fly very well at all. Has nerve damage some incident that happened with previous owner where she bruised her breast keel badly. She has motherly instincts toward all my birds. To her they are all her babies. She groom's them all, apart from my senny whom will sit close to her, just don't touch him....he's a bully.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouch!!!! Glad that one didn't end badly! Mind if I ask, was it a male amazon? Was it close to hormonal or in hormonal season? That's when you really have to watch them. My zon can't fly very well at all. Has nerve damage some incident that happened with previous owner where she bruised her breast keel badly. She has motherly instincts toward all my birds. To her they are all her babies. She groom's them all, apart from my senny whom will sit close to her, just don't touch him....he's a bully.
It was a female amazon. One of her first days home. She was a rehomed 13 year old. She's always been spicy with other birds. She was not hormonal at the time. She was one of those that had a diet change for the better when she came here and then became hormonal. Although, she's tried to go for my cockatoo as well when she was hormonal and I stuck my hand in the middle of it to save the cockatoo. She's just never liked other birds other than her mate and own babies. Hormones don't really seem to have much to do with her urge to attack other parrots or my dogs. She's an act first think later sort of bird. She was also one that I stayed away from her nest box and only checked babies when she was out of the box and I could block the opening because I have no doubt she'd bite her babies out of frustration for having her stuff messed with. She was a good bird when I had her as a single female pet. Liked to be petted, rode on my shoulder. Not trustworthy around my skin if another dog, cat, human or bird was too close. If she was on me and the dog got to close, she'd bite me because she couldn't bite him. If another bird happened to find itself in range, she'd go for them. Including her older daughters that she no longer recognized as her kids once they matured.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's amazing. Twinkie was very lucky. Good that Popper was careful and non-aggressive.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Brave budgie. Can you post a photo of her please?

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
It was a female amazon. One of her first days home. She was a rehomed 13 year old. She's always been spicy with other birds. She was not hormonal at the time. She was one of those that had a diet change for the better when she came here and then became hormonal. Although, she's tried to go for my cockatoo as well when she was hormonal and I stuck my hand in the middle of it to save the cockatoo. She's just never liked other birds other than her mate and own babies. Hormones don't really seem to have much to do with her urge to attack other parrots or my dogs. She's an act first think later sort of bird. She was also one that I stayed away from her nest box and only checked babies when she was out of the box and I could block the opening because I have no doubt she'd bite her babies out of frustration for having her stuff messed with. She was a good bird when I had her as a single female pet. Liked to be petted, rode on my shoulder. Not trustworthy around my skin if another dog, cat, human or bird was too close. If she was on me and the dog got to close, she'd bite me because she couldn't bite him. If another bird happened to find itself in range, she'd go for them. Including her older daughters that she no longer recognized as her kids once they matured.
Yes my BFA used to be jealous of my wife, if my wife got too close she'd go for my skin. A way of saying get her away...I own you. My BFA was playing on table and my wife would scooch over by me and say....I'm petting daddy....she'll coming running across table and get between my wife and I and hiss at my wife..if my wife backs off, my zon goes back to playing....my wife tried it again...and here comes my zon again....hissing.
Soooo, being that you have babies, or that your Amazon has babies, it's basically protecting it's young from the other birds. Letting the other birds know they are not welcomed in her territory....which could be the whole house!!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That's amazing. Twinkie was very lucky. Good that Popper was careful and non-aggressive.
Yea, tell you what, it was one of those instances that your not in range and your heart just stops from fear of what could happen.... But my zon taught me otherwise that she's great around other birds.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
In Case anyone is wondering why poppers is outside without a harness. She can"t fly, not more than a few feet.
She's fully flighted. Just has nerve damage in one wing. Vet thinks its from when she was younger, damaged her keel
by a bad bruise that damaged nerve, from previous owner. Other than that she's perfectly healthy. Just poor baby will never fly.
But she enjoys the outdoors and gets plenty of sunshine.

View attachment 300000 . View attachment 300000 IMG_2117.JPG P1030223.JPG