• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Territorial behavior

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Had another finch behavior question. I have noticed that a LOT of finch videos out there, particularly Zebra finch videos showcase territorial behavior in males. Are there large differences behavior wise between Zebra and Society finches? Let me explain. So far my two finches are sooooooo mellow. I make every attempt to not disturb their nest, but I have in the past out of necessity reached into nest to replace eggs or for counting early on in the process. They just don't really mind too much. I get a little peck once, but otherwise they either just scooch over or they casually exit the nest. This post is not specifically about me invading their nest though. I know you should avoid this at costs, and I do. To expand on this question though, a lot of people tell stories of their finches taking ownership of items in their houses like TV remotes, cell phone, computer mouse, etc. Neither of my fids exhibit these behaviors. I wonder if Society Finches are just calmer?

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh yes totally!!! Zebra finches are sooooo aggressive compared to societies. I've never had aggression issues with societies at all. The closest thing I could even call aggression is when Fox gets mad if I touch her while she is eating, and she pecks me:)

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Interesting! I never realized there was such a difference. I wonder if this makes Societies harder to train as perhaps they are more skittish and less outgoing?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Maybe harder to train, because they're so flock oriented. Just guessing-- I don't know it as fact.

I haven't handled my baby Gouldian in days, as ... hurricane. But he is here with me at my friend's, and today a young boy came over wanting to handle all my fids. So I told him he could hold that one, and he was able to get it out of a crowded cage! I'm excited.