• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Terrarium Idea...

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I have the 10 gallon tank my betta was in sitting on the floor of my room, and I'd love to do something with it. Fish are a no go (we're going to the fish store today to get some platies for the 10g community and look at the bristlenose plecos for the 40g) , and I'm not going to get another pet.

My thought is to make a terrarium for wheatgrass! It's easy to keep and mega cheap, what could go wrong? There's a wheatgrass growing kit I've had my eye on. I'll buy some gravel or something for drainage, add some carbon for filtration, and use eco-earth (coconut coir) as the substrate. Throw in a cool figure or two, and I'll be in business!

I'll have to buy a new tank, since my current one has a big crack on the bottom, but that's no big deal.

Oh! And I'll paint the background. Maybe I'll go with a nice dark green?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is a really Nice idea! And when the grass grows too long you can cut a bit of for Chirp! I think it is a win-win situation:D

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds great!

Reactions: Jas

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
That is a really Nice idea! And when the grass grows too long you can cut a bit of for Chirp! I think it is a win-win situation:D
At one point, I had little wheatgrass plant in his cage, but it withered and died. I think it was because the roost were so tangled up and compacted. This time, I'm growing straight from seeds.

I went and found my carbon, I'm making a brick of eco-earth, and I've ordered the kit! I paid the extra 4 dollars for it to get here tomorrow. I'm trying to figure out how I want to scape it, I have this cute little pig figure I got from Wal-Mart last spring and I didn't know what to do with him, so he'll probably be in there. There's gonna be a little "pond" so I can drain the water if I need to, and I'll probably put in some cute little rocks or something. It'll be great!

lyx

Sprinting down the street
That's a really cool idea! Very creative :) Can't wait to see your progress!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I feel like garbage, I can't breathe through my nose and I constantly feel like I'm gonna sneeze, so dad is going to get the stuff for me. I'll post pictures if I can figure out how to post them from my kindle.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Feel better soon:hug8:Is it allergies or a cold, or for no speific reason?
Your idea is really cool and creative! I am excited to see it!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Feel better soon:hug8:Is it allergies or a cold, or for no speific reason?
Your idea is really cool and creative! I am excited to see it!
I'm guessing it's probably a cold or the flu. I've heard that th e flu is a particularly bad strain this year.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Sounds like a great idea! Are you growing it for Chirp or just for the fun of it? Or if there’s extra you’ll give it to Chirp?
Just got fun at this point. I have major MTS (multiple tank syndrome! :p) and just seeing that tank sitting empty was driving me up the wall.

It's all set up, and I added some moss, a couple pieces of slate and the pig figurine. It looks pretty good! The seeds are getting here today!!

Oh, and my dad got me those platies! Males and females!!! It's been so long since I've bred livebearers, I miss having the babies around! I'll have to order a couple of plastic plants for the fry to hide in!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Seeds are planted! I have to keep them covered with a wet paper towel until the grass is a 1/4 inch tall, so the fairy garden items are out right now. My godmother said she has some stuff, she offered to send it to me! :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ohh know we just have to wait:D Can’t wait to see it when the grass has grown!

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
This is most awesomely imaginative! How great! They'll get the feeling of walking on grass and rubbing in it! Mine love wheatgrass like crazy especially Delphine who will act like a caique and surf on it! It's going to be great! I can't wait to see it! You are so creative!

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
That's a good idea! We have a few empty tanks around the house since our geckos got upgraded. Now I want to find something to do with them!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I have some growing in the terrarium and some in a tray, meant for Chirp. He doesn't care about it, so I have it to the dog instead! She's amazed by it, but she won't take a bite from in, she'll eat individual strands as I give them to her. So silly! I might cut some and dry it, to crumble over her food.

She does like to lick the top of it though, and she loves rooting around with her snoot in it!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Ahw that sounds so cute! Henkie wasn’t so interested in grass the first time I gave it to him either, He started to like it when I strung it up for him:)

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looking forward to watching the progression of your project :)