• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TEN WHOLE GRAINS. Cooked and Uncooked?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I’ve started giving Kai Bob’s Red Mill WHOLE GRAIN 10 GRAIN HOT CEREAL and he loves it. I’ve only given it to him cooked (and cooled). I am wondering if he could have it uncooked (raw) also? The ingredients are...Whole Grain Wheat, Whole Grain Rye, Corn Grits, Whole Grain Triticale (Wheat), Whole Grain Oats, Soy Beans, Whole Grain Millet, Barley, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Oat Bran and Flaxseed Meal. I would appreciate advice.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I think some of the ingredients absorb a lot of water and might swell in Kai's tummy hurting him. Kind of like what rice does. IMO I wouldn't give it to him uncooked.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Fact or Fiction: Uncooked Rice is Bad for Birds | Reactions Science Videos - American Chemical Society

I was pretty sure the whole rice at weddings fiasco was because people don't like the look of soggy rice on the ground later. The bird exploding rumor doesn't really compute.

For Kai, cooking the grains won't harm him. I offer some grains cooked like quinoa and freekeh, but others I offer raw. I would use caution offering soy. It might be better to make your own mix for this meal. Then you know the ratios of everything.

Here is a link below on soy.
soy

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Fact or Fiction: Uncooked Rice is Bad for Birds | Reactions Science Videos - American Chemical Society

I was pretty sure the whole rice at weddings fiasco was because people don't like the look of soggy rice on the ground later. The bird exploding rumor doesn't really compute.

For Kai, cooking the grains won't harm him. I offer some grains cooked like quinoa and freekeh, but others I offer raw. I would use caution offering soy. It might be better to make your own mix for this meal. Then you know the ratios of everything.

Here is a link below on soy.
soy
Thank you for your reply. I actually read a ways back that there was no truth in rice swelling in a bird’s belly. Untrue. I will check out the soy. Thanks.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I think some of the ingredients absorb a lot of water and might swell in Kai's tummy hurting him. Kind of like what rice does. IMO I wouldn't give it to him uncooked.
I actually read that there was no truth in rice swelling in a bird’s belly but many have warned me about the sky. Thank you so much for your reply.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cooking the grains does make it easier to digest though, so I always cook them

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I actually read that there was no truth in rice swelling in a bird’s belly but many have warned me about the sky. Thank you so much for your reply.
I've never heard rice would swell in a belly, and you can try it yourself by leaving a couple of grains in water for serval days, they don't swell. On the other hand I've heard that rice left on the ground from wedding were killing wild birds by perforating their stomach because they are so sharp and hard. I don't know if that's true, but then, we didn't use rice for our wedding, to stay on the safe side we used barley :wacky:

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Cooking the grains does make it easier to digest though, so I always cook them
Thank you for your reply. I have been cooking the grains. Wouldn’t give them to Kai uncooked unless I knew for certain that it was safe. Better to be safe and yes I agree with you that cooking them makes it easier for digestion. I was just curious.

Last edited: