• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tempting my new baby --

Choxspr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Hello! I'm new here, along with my new baby, Giada, who I think is 10 weeks old. She joined our family on Wednesday, and at this point seems to be settling in -- eating well, exploring her cage, etc. She was hand-fed and was stepping up at the breeder, but she's not sure of me yet, and while she'll let me get my hand within a few inches of her and is very calm if I approach the cage and talk to her, she won't let me get close enough for a step-up, and I don't want to push her and scare her at this point. Any thoughts on getting her comfortable with me?

I've been offering her a little dish of delicacies every morning, but I'd love to have more ideas on things she might like, especially as treats. She's eating a mix of cockatiel seed and pellets right now, but seems to have no interest in millet, oddly enough! She's nibbled on broccoli rabe and the birdie bread I made for her, but doesn't have a lot of interest in other things I've offered (walnuts, apple, a raspberry).

What kinds of treats does your parrotlet love?

I'm an experienced bird owner, but my last bird was a Moluccan cockatoo (now with my ex-husband, 21 years old and still the same sweet bird). So a parrotlet is quite a transition . . . :)

Choxspr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Just adding that I was wrong about the millet. She's found it -- it's in a holder with beads on it, so maybe she had to get used to that.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I wouldn't try the step up just yet. It would be better if you just sit outside her cage and talk to her softly. Birds think everything wants to eat them so she has to learn that you are a friend not a predator. And yes, slipping her treats makes you a 'useful friend'.

Choxspr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Thanks, Sylvester. She's interested in me -- if I put my face near the cage, she'll come over, but she's not sure about my hands. I'll try the treats. I'm putting my dog in daycare on Monday so Giada and I can have some quiet time together.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thanks, Sylvester. She's interested in me -- if I put my face near the cage, she'll come over, but she's not sure about my hands. I'll try the treats. I'm putting my dog in daycare on Monday so Giada and I can have some quiet time together.
I think you are striking the right balance. The little ones are the most scared so it will just take her sometime to get use to you. I would put my treat on the other side of my hand so my Bare Eye Cockatoo had to step up to get it. Then he would do it without the bribe, but he likes shoulders the best.