• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Temporary cage?

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Hello! Thanks for checking this page out! I’m new to this forum, so I might post an introductory thread later. You might also see me reaching out to experienced bird owners a lot for more information on things including, Cage setups, What to expect when I bring my feathered friend home, Training tips, diet/recipes, and behaviours.

okay, so in two months I might be getting a new feathered friend! It will be a baby cockatiel, fully weaned and hand fed/tamed. The reason I say might be, is because the breeder I’m getting them from is gonna be doing a DNA test. I know there should be at least one male in the clutch, but I don’t know much about how that works.

I had wanted a girl, but from what I’ve read up on and learned so far is that females tend to have a few more health issues to worry about than males.

I understand there are still some stuff to deal with either way (baby cockatiels are the most clumsy and likely to get hurt.), especially from blood feathers.. Im iffy on those but I’m sure I will be able to keep calm and handle it when the time of a broken feather arrives. I don’t know how I will be able to deal with egg binding or other female issues.

But I think male is the best way to go, since I have no experience with birds whatsoever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So I gave you a semi introduction anyways..Oops! o-o

But now for my first forum question:

I’ve been looking at cages and came across a lot of minimum cage requirements for a cockatiel.. But the most common one I’m finding is 18” wide by 24” long by 24” tall.. Is that trustworthy or way too small??

Most cages I find are super expensive but look soo tiny (I may be being size picky?), it just doesn’t feel right.

And if it is too small, would there be another option I could use as a temporary cage until I can get a much bigger one?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would do 32"x21" for a cockatiel. What abouts are you located, so we know where to recommend a cage?

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
I live an hour away from Edmonton Alberta.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Personally I think that "female health troubles" are largely exaggerated. Yes, they may lay an egg now and again but as long as they are on a healthy pellet diet it shouldn't be an issue.

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Thanks for letting me know Matto, I’ll look more into it! I’m still not sure how I should deal with that if something does ever happen. I have some anxiety issues, so it probably sounds worse to me than it actually is.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This may help: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

Basically the rule of thumb is that the cage should be 1.5 to 2 times the width of the bird's wingspan, and at least as deep so that they can fully stretch their wings. Cockatiels have an impressive 19.5" average wingspan, so an 18x18 cage does not allow them to actually stretch, and when you start adding in toys and perches, the space dwindles.

A flight cage of 32x21 is the minimum I would do for a cockatiel myself :)

I've had birds for 8 years now and have never had to worry about a blood feather. Blood feathers are normal - they are what you call a feather that still is growing and thus has a blood supply in the shaft. Once the feather is mature, blood supply is removed and you get the hollow feather shaft. The only blood feather you have to worry about is if it breaks. Sometimes the blood supply doesn't cease and can lead to a bird bleeding out, however this isn't usually the case. If you are concerned, make sure you know the location of your nearest avian vet that can help pluck the feather if you feel you are unable!

Females only have more health problems compared to males due to egg laying. That is true for ANY species of parrot. That being said, I adore females and a good diet prevents most issues :)

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Thank you ;u;

Would a cage of 5ft tall, 3ft wide, and 2ft deep be big enough?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
3 feet = 36 inches and 2 feet = 24 inches, so yes.

The height portion is usually not as much of a need. Birds tend to use the top half of their age anyways, which renders most of the height unused.

Make sure the bar spacing is no bigger than 5/8" though; 3/4" and larger it can be hard for them to climb the bars, or they may get their head stuck.

Reactions: tka

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Absolute minimum for a cockatiel is 20 by 20... assuming they’re out 90% of the day. Otherwise, 30x20 is best.

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Okay.. I apologize for bringing this back up again, but I have another question..

So, I’ve been searching for a cage for at least a month now, and everything on Kijiji seems to be sketchy, rusted or too far away. Amazon, way fair, Walmart, and chewy, are all sketchy and confusing to me.

Every review I’ve read on amazon for prevue cages or A&E brands say that their products came damaged.

Any specific brands I should keep an eye open for? I want to do this right and in the right way.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I understand you geel cages are too small and expensive for the size they are! I have a double flight cage for my two lovies, and honestly personally I wouldn't want a cage smaller theb that for them, bot matter how much they are out. But that is really personal, my guys are a bit hard to entertain and are not used to being caged. Regardless, I am from the Netherlands so the availability I cannot help with. Mine is from Montana cages, I don't know if that brand is readily available to you? Congratulations by the way, cockatiels are amazing. I would love to see and hear about your new friend when he gets home.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wayfair seems to be a good place to get cages; they're really good about replacing damaged cages if that were to happen. Realistically ANY cage being shipped is going to risk SOME damage, regardless of vendor or shipper.

My favorite mass produced cage manufacturers in the US are Avian Adventures (by Midwest Homes for Pets) and Kings.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue TinySheep :starshower1:
(Adorable username BTW)

Lot´s of good info has already been posted, I would just like to add, don´t buy a cage thinking ¨it will be temporary¨ - it will end up costing you a lot more money, and then you have a poor size cage just hanging around. Best to just buy the good cage from the get go :)

24¨ wide is minimum for lovebirds and other smaller birds, Cockatiels would need 30¨ wide.

Mine is from Montana cages, I don't know if that brand is readily available to you?
and Kings
Montana cages (basically) are Kings cages (same styles and designs, different company)

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Thankyou! ^^ so far the most I am finding available are 20”- 24”wide cages.. I’ll keep looking

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
On Amazon most of what you will find is too small. Use "flight cage" as a search term which will help.

Also I noticed you said Chewy was sketchy - I don't know about their cage offerings but Chewy is one of my most favorite companies in the world and I never have anything except positives to say about them.

Chewy.com's kindness | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
I think I finally found one.. it’s 32(H)x 32.5(W)x19(D) in inches. Would that be enough room for my bird to stay in while I’m at school? (He will be out as soon as I get home..)

Also, question concerning the bar spacing.. Is 1/2 safe for my cockatiel? Or will it have the danger of hurting my birds feet or head?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
1/2" is perfect for a cockatiel and is the most recommended bar spacing :) That cage sounds appropriate

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
It’ll be gigantic! ( I’ll order it before my chance is gone this time! ) I’m super excited to start setting up the inside of the cage afterwards. I’ll be sure to send a picture.

thank you soo much for your help! ^^

TinySheep

Strolling the yard
Real Name
NO.
Okay! Gonna resuse this thread, because my next question still has something to do with the cage.. What perches would you guys recommend for cockatiels?

I know there needs to be a variety, but I want to make sure I get safe ones. I know untreated branches and stuff are good. And maybe rope perches? I’ve decided on leaving toys all around my room and others for the time they are out, as well as in the bigger cage for independent play while I’m doing homework and when he wants to do his own thing. I also plan on getting another smaller 18” x 20” cage for sleep.. if that is safe?? Only concern is him hurting himself because of a nightfright and the cage being too small.