1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Temporary cage?

Discussion in 'Toys & Cages Bypass' started by TinySheep, 10/6/19.

1. TinySheep

TinySheep Checking out the neighborhood

NO.
    Hello! Thanks for checking this page out! I’m new to this forum, so I might post an introductory thread later. You might also see me reaching out to experienced bird owners a lot for more information on things including, Cage setups, What to expect when I bring my feathered friend home, Training tips, diet/recipes, and behaviours.

okay, so in two months I might be getting a new feathered friend! It will be a baby cockatiel, fully weaned and hand fed/tamed. The reason I say might be, is because the breeder I’m getting them from is gonna be doing a DNA test. I know there should be at least one male in the clutch, but I don’t know much about how that works.

I had wanted a girl, but from what I’ve read up on and learned so far is that females tend to have a few more health issues to worry about than males.

I understand there are still some stuff to deal with either way (baby cockatiels are the most clumsy and likely to get hurt.), especially from blood feathers.. Im iffy on those but I’m sure I will be able to keep calm and handle it when the time of a broken feather arrives. I don’t know how I will be able to deal with egg binding or other female issues.

But I think male is the best way to go, since I have no experience with birds whatsoever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So I gave you a semi introduction anyways..Oops! o-o

But now for my first forum question:

I’ve been looking at cages and came across a lot of minimum cage requirements for a cockatiel.. But the most common one I’m finding is 18” wide by 24” long by 24” tall.. Is that trustworthy or way too small??

Most cages I find are super expensive but look soo tiny (I may be being size picky?), it just doesn’t feel right.

And if it is too small, would there be another option I could use as a temporary cage until I can get a much bigger one?

2. JosienBB

JosienBB Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

I would do 32"x21" for a cockatiel. What abouts are you located, so we know where to recommend a cage?

3. TinySheep

NO.
    I live an hour away from Edmonton Alberta.

4. Matto

Matto Jogging around the block Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Vendor

Matt
    Personally I think that "female health troubles" are largely exaggerated. Yes, they may lay an egg now and again but as long as they are on a healthy pellet diet it shouldn't be an issue.

Ripshod likes this.
  5. TinySheep

NO.
    Thanks for letting me know Matto, I’ll look more into it! I’m still not sure how I should deal with that if something does ever happen. I have some anxiety issues, so it probably sounds worse to me than it actually is.

6. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna
    This may help: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

Basically the rule of thumb is that the cage should be 1.5 to 2 times the width of the bird's wingspan, and at least as deep so that they can fully stretch their wings. Cockatiels have an impressive 19.5" average wingspan, so an 18x18 cage does not allow them to actually stretch, and when you start adding in toys and perches, the space dwindles.

A flight cage of 32x21 is the minimum I would do for a cockatiel myself :)

I've had birds for 8 years now and have never had to worry about a blood feather. Blood feathers are normal - they are what you call a feather that still is growing and thus has a blood supply in the shaft. Once the feather is mature, blood supply is removed and you get the hollow feather shaft. The only blood feather you have to worry about is if it breaks. Sometimes the blood supply doesn't cease and can lead to a bird bleeding out, however this isn't usually the case. If you are concerned, make sure you know the location of your nearest avian vet that can help pluck the feather if you feel you are unable!

Females only have more health problems compared to males due to egg laying. That is true for ANY species of parrot. That being said, I adore females and a good diet prevents most issues :)

BirdField likes this.
  7. TinySheep

NO.
    Thank you ;u;

Would a cage of 5ft tall, 3ft wide, and 2ft deep be big enough?

8. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Shawna
    3 feet = 36 inches and 2 feet = 24 inches, so yes.

The height portion is usually not as much of a need. Birds tend to use the top half of their age anyways, which renders most of the height unused.

Make sure the bar spacing is no bigger than 5/8" though; 3/4" and larger it can be hard for them to climb the bars, or they may get their head stuck.

9. HolliDaze

HolliDaze Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Machelle
    Absolute minimum for a cockatiel is 20 by 20... assuming they’re out 90% of the day. Otherwise, 30x20 is best.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)