• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Tell me symptons of aspirating

Status
Not open for further replies.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I've only had one bird Aspirate on us, and it was a lovebird so not sure if it would be any different, plus mine was 2 weeks old

but the liquid came up out of the nostrils, and that's all it was, he/she was gone within seconds , my b/f Even attempted CPR on her/him but nothing, it was that quick

I know not all aspiration goes that quick but on this one it did so now ever since then I pay very close attention to the nostrils when hand feeding and to make sure nothing ever comes out and thankfully we've never had it happen again

and when using a syringe it is very easy to aspirate, specially once they realize that syringe feeds them and they do the feeding response - not sure how the bigger birds do it but mine (lovebirds, budgies, tiels, conures) get their head moving Really fast and in rapid motions, So its very easy to do - But I've started holding their head firmly but gently between my fingers so they can not move their head all around while feeding, and Switch to Spoon feeding as soon as they'll except it. which thankfully usually happens within 2-3 days of pulling them to start hand feeding.

Last edited:

Tielygirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
:highfive: Your doing an awesome job! I know its overwhelming at first.. Its *always* better to ask if you have questions/concerns because things can happen so quickly in birds...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Is he making honking noises? You say you feed him less but more often? It sounds like Stretch is hungry. Its really important to feed him just the right amount per feeding(make sure its correct consistency too! Too thick = empties slower, too thin=empties way too fast and if its too cold it will empty slower and too hot crop burns), every 4 hours or as often as his crop is 1/3 full.

If you are not sure about how much you should feed him, if you can, take a picture of how much you feed him, per feeding, so we can see, and we'll be able to help you and let you know if its enough or not for a 3.5wk old baby.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
Just to make sure my babies dont get sour crop I do make sure they empty at least once every 24 hours. So I do a late night feeding then sleep 8 hours and do the morning feeding.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
How is he doing?

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
hes good, sleeping now :) hes not making any weird noises and i weighed him this morning 640 grams before his first feeding.. yesterday he was 636 grams! hes growing veryyyyy fast

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
WOW! That is wonderful to hear :) Weight gain is good. So glad Stretch is doing well!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
About 3 years ago I was hand feeding one of the baby Maximlian Pionus that was about 2 months old like I always have when suddenly he went forward and was instantly limp... his eyes closed and was totally lifeless and no doubt that I paniced! He in fact got some formula in his air ways... hubby says do something... um, so quickly I slightly opened up his little beak and with an ever so lightly puff of air into his beak about 2 or 3 times... when suddenly his eyes opened and then he started responding and after a minute he sat up!! So had I not done that, he may not have come back around. I was joyful that I saved him. In my 20 some years of raising babies, that was my first time that had ever happened. Just prior to it happening, all was good and he was taking in his formula and pumping action was good so it just happened so fast.

NikkiLS

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Glad he is doing well, we all definitely hold a place for Stretch in our hearts. You are doing great I agree though I would be feeding him every 4 hrs. I have some 6 week old Suns who are still eating 4 times a day sometimes 5 depending on how early I get up or how late I go to sleep. They mature MUCH faster than the GWM's too.

Status
Not open for further replies.