• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Tell me symptons of aspirating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
he may be fine, but he ate about an hour ago, via syringe hand feeding and hes keeps making little noises, not squaks just little hums and whines, and hes laying down looks like hes trying to sleep!!!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ally, did the feeding go smoothly or did he sputter and cough at all?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Does he sound weezy when you hold him up to your ear?

Ginger

Kolkri

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
It is normal for B&G's to lay down. I well never forget the first time I seen some babies laying down in the bottom of a cage. I thought they were all dead. Till one heard me and then all the heads popped up.
As far as the sounds go can't help you much without hearing it.

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
no he dosnt, and i tried calling my vet but they just put me on hold, his eating is usually pretty smooth, but he is messy. but he did not caugh or anything. he just tries to talk with his mouth full, so idk

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
What about your grandmother? Wasn't she supposed to be helping you feed this baby? I say call her and let her listen to the baby and make sure he's ok.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Symptoms of aspiration:
When a baby bird inhales food or liquid, it will sputter, shaking its head while desperately trying to get some air. It's similar to how you react when liquid goes down the wrong pipe. Sometimes the food or liquid will spurt out of its nostrils while it sneezes or "coughs."
Treatment:
The severity of aspiration pneumonia requires veterinary care. You will have to administer a course of antibiotics or antifungals.
Complications:
It may seem like your bird is okay after an aspiration incident, but aspiration pneumonia could be settling in. Unfortunately, there are very few symptoms of this until it's too late. Your bird may begin to lose weight, but that might be all you notice. If you realize your bird has aspirated, take it to the vet even if things seem okay.
Aspiration Symptoms in Baby Birds | eHow.com

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
ok, he didnt freak out or anything, we watch him very closely when we feed him, and i just got off the phone with the vet and she says hes just learning new sounds, she had me hold him up and listen, hes not weezing, she had me check his feeding response, and its good, his stool is normal and hes just sitting on the heating pad!!! she says just watch closely and if anything changes bring him in

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
That's a relief, Ally. I hope he's ok.

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
im sure he is, sorry for the scare, but im learning with him.. im doing my best though.. and with my vet and my buddys here all will be fine

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Just sent you a PM...
How much did he take in this feeding?:hug8:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
im sure he is, sorry for the scare, but im learning with him.. im doing my best though.. and with my vet and my buddys here all will be fine
do NOT be sorry for scaring us, hun! We know you're doing everything you can for the baby and i think its GREAT you're coming on here for help! The baby could have fallen into much worse hands than yours! You're doing great so far and getting him everything he needs:hug8: I am glad he is okay!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Sweetheart,

You can scare us anytime as long as we can be of help to you.

Ginger

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so glad all is well Ally...these people are all here for you..dont you be afraid to ask...:hug8:

MollyMouse

Don't be sorry Ally we all care about Stretch and it's better to check here on the forum than sit at home and worry.You are doing a great job I know it must be scary at times for you. :hug8:

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
he eats about 45 ml. 3 times a day, but im about to make it smaller portions more often bc even though the vet said every 8 hrs, by then his crop is completely empty and he acts starving when i feed him, btw: ive gone back to cup feeding, im much more comfortable with that. is that ok?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
If you are comfortable with that and Stretch is eating the same amount as the syring...it's OK...just watch that he doesn't get a LOT of air in his crop and stop eating because he feels full but not getting the same amount of food...Measure as you go...and I would be feeding more like every 4 hours or when his crop is empty....JMHO:hug8:

Ally

Walking the driveway
Real Name
ally
thats what im doing now, well i just got done feeding him, but im going to schedule him on every four hours, 8 seems way to long, his crop has completely emptied by then.. so ive decided to feed him more often..

Status
Not open for further replies.