• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me all about sulfer crested cockatoos!

Sundayraven

Moving in
I’m possibly getting an older sulfur crested cockatoo, and I’d like to know more about them. I’m only familiar with umbrellas, and there doesn’t seem to be as much information about sulfur cresteds online.

Are they as cuddly as umbrellas? How much noise do they make compared to umbrellas? What other significant differences between the two species are there?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum. I've only had limited dealings with a Lesser Sulfer Crested 'Too. So I'm not sure how much bigger a Sulfer Crested 'too is compared to an umbrella or how similar or not the Lesser is to the Sulfer Crested. The 'too I knew was actually pretty quiet for a cockatoo. She also was pretty chill and liked to sit and be held compared to my Goffin who is a ball of energy and all over the place. This particular bird was very much a one person bird though and was very partial to men. Hopefully others can give better information than me. I think it's great that you're considering an older bird. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
A TOO is a TOO is a TOO. Just varying degrees of chaos. Very similar characteristics. If you can handle the one, you can handle the other.

I’m only familiar with umbrellas
Familiar as in long time owner or familiar as in you've seen them? There's a big difference.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I have an elenora, a female whom I've had for 29 years. I've never had an umbrella, so I can't really compare the 2, but I can tell you about her. She's pretty independent - she doesn't need to be held, she's very good at enjoying ambient attention. But she does thoroughly enjoy being held and touched, and she'll enjoy it for as long as you're willing to lavish the attention. She isn't very loud, but she can be "whiny" at times, especially if we're making food! She can be very demanding if she sees a box of cereal or crackers. She likes everyone in the family, but she sometimes turns into a little brat if my husband and I are sitting on the couch in the evening watching a movie. She's really bonded to me, so at these times she INSISTS on running over to him to "attack." She has no beak, so she can't hurt him, but it does get annoying. She is very persistent about it, but only in the evenings when we're together on the couch. She isn't a good talker, but she does say some things. She LOVES music and will dance enthusiastically to anything with a beat. She loves to spend time playing with tiny pieces of things - bits of paper, small seeds, bits of feather floof, dried beans, etc. As I said mine is a female; I've heard that males can quite a bit more aggressive when they're feeling hormonal (and in my experience, Beaker is very hormonal, at least with me, her favorite person).

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Everything I had read says sulfer crested too’s are more independent, and even sometimes much more independent. It’s all bird specific really because I’m sure there are umbrellas that wish to be left alone and of course umbrellas that are velcroed to you. If you’re looking for averages - what is more common - from what I have read the sulfers are more independent and the umbrellas are typically more dependent on their owners touch.

Since we are comparing a sulfer crested to the breed that is notorious for being perhaps the most dependent on human touch (the umbrella cockatoo), slightly less clingy still makes them farrrrr more clingy than say an Amazon or Gray.

Sundayraven

Moving in
Thanks guys. My umbrella basically turns into pudding whenever you hold her and loves to be cuddled, but is also happy to hang out on her own as long as she has some wood to destroy. Sulfur’s don’t seem to have much information about them in general, so I wasn’t sure what I would be getting into! They sound kind of like a mild version of an umbrella.

Also I’ll add that I have one grey who would get head scratches all day if she could! If she’s next to me on the couch, she’ll come up and nudge me until I pet her. So I completely understand that there are outliers in every species. I’m just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

Last edited:

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Your Umbrella sounds a lot like mine. He would be held all day if I let him, but he’s happy chewing wood on his play stand too.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Cassie was our first 'too...a LSC. She was a very independent, very much full of herself kind of bird. She became my :heart: bird...and was definitely a "one person bird." She tolerated other men and despised all women...especially my wife. Cass would literally chase her out of the room if she dared come into the room where Daddy was.

Compared to Milton, the U2, she was much quieter. (in volume) Frequency of vocalizations were about the same. She would sit with me all day, if she could...but would amuse herself with chewing anything she could get her beak on.

We learned how to care for 'toos from Cass...and we made mistakes along the way, as any other normal person would. She also took to being a decent therapy bird...just without any hands on from other people...as long as she was with her Dad, she was a perfect angel.
They sound kind of like a mild version of an umbrella.
...I'd have to respectfully disagree with you on that...the two species can't really be compared to each other...they're like apples and oranges...

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had two sulfurs in my life but no umbrellas of my own so I can't compare directly. I think sulfurs are known for being a bit more independent but still plenty cuddly. The LSC2 we had was wild caught back in the 80's when I was a child. He could scream when he felt her was being ignored or at very inappropriate times like during Thanksgiving dinner. The one big thing I remember about him was actually eating a pumpkin pie with cockatoo foot prints in it. Mom was quite happy with that pie and Popeye went to fly to her shoulder and landed in the pie instead. Mom wanted to kill the bird and he actually ended up throwing a screaming fit during dinner from the kitchen because we were all unseen in the dining room. He was not a full body hugs sort of bird. Scritches on the head and that was it. But, he was also wild caught.

My current sulfur is a greater and at least half true greater. The other half questionable, but she's a decent sized bird averaging around 820 grams plus or minus a few. She loves hugs and full body cuddles. But, when I let her out, she wants some play time either with me or on a gym for about 30-60 minutes before she settles down and wants cuddles. We sometimes sit and watch a movie together and she'll sit on the chair beside me and get wing pit rubs and a cranial massage. She's loud in volume but not frequently loud. Its somewhat unusual for her to sound off. She hasn't screamed at all today. I can't remember the last time she actually had more than 5 squawks in a row and that's usually in the late morning. Overall, she's the quietest bird here, but don't count on sulfurs being quiet.
One thing you probably should know about is the sulfur penchant for phobic and fear issues surrounding their owner. Citrons and lessors are more prone to it, but I had some pretty heart breaking issues after injections for vet care with mine. Don't ever chase your bird. If it acts fearful, back off immediately. If you ever had to hold your bird down frequently such as for medication, seriously consider having someone else do it or boarding the bird at the vet so someone else can be the bad guy.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
One thing you probably should know about is the sulfur penchant for phobic and fear issues surrounding their owner.
If you ever had to hold your bird down frequently such as for medication, seriously consider having someone else do it or boarding the bird at the vet so someone else can be the bad guy.
That reminds me of a story...Cassie had to be at the AV's office overnight after her surgery. When we called the next morning, they informed me that Cassie was ready to go home...because she was attempting to bite the vet techs! (all were women)

When we arrived to take her home, they encouraged me to get her out of the cage she was in...Cass was very happy to see Dad and stepped right up...

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Zach is my first experience with a Sulfur. He is a male. A few things I’ve noticed and these may change due to hormone season. He is territorial over me(I’m his person and thus no one should be near me.) unlike my M2 Archie who could care less as long as I remember to give her, her snuggle time.
He is also the only one of my fids that tries to “build a nest” around me. He is a very quick learner and he can amuse himself easily when he finds himself placed on timeout.

Sundayraven

Moving in
Thanks everyone. I got her! She’s a bit smaller than she looked in the pictures (aren’t we all?) and her owner wasn’t sure exactly what species she is. I haven’t gotten her weight yet. Is there a way to tell the different species apart?

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Thanks everyone. I got her! She’s a bit smaller than she looked in the pictures (aren’t we all?) and her owner wasn’t sure exactly what species she is. I haven’t gotten her weight yet. Is there a way to tell the different species apart?
We need to see photos :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She's a beauty!

Facially, she does resemble Cassie...but Cassie was smaller, I believe.

Oh, and something else...when we got Cassie, she was also naked from her chest down...;)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think she’s probably a mixed sulfur. Heavy on the medium sulfur crest. She doesn’t have the cheek patches of most lessers. It would be interesting to know what she weighs.