• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell Me About Your Previously Neglected Birds

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
All of my recent rescues pretty much cried through the night for the first few months off and on. They were afraid.
Some soak up the love and food, while others are petrified. You need to go at their pace, they tell you what they want from you.
I have found that in a few rescues, frightened, scared, not knowing what's going on, or if the worse is that to come. They look at you with such frightened eyes as if saying you won't hurt me too will you?
The long road to trust and happiness was never an easy one. Makes me tear up.
I'll share my stories on many of mine...first a couple shots of Jack before I do that.
I watched some of the videos on fb, of the in process rescues of those 100 birds over last couple days..the frighten look of some of them, the conditions, the deaths of a few, the having to put down a couple, .....I had tears coming down my face last night. So did the staff that rescued them.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Slade came to me traumatized. I adopted him from a lady who doesn't run a rescue per say, but will take in unwanted birds and care for them till she finds the right person for them. I first met him at a local bird fair and she had him labeled as a Meyers because of all the yellow spotting on his head. This is actually the first picture I ever saw of him, that the bird fair posted asking who would be his new mom?

sladefirstsaw.jpg

You can see the spotting on his head. When I went to the fair I specifically looked for him as I shopped for Ollie and Diggle. I found him running around at her table and I was warned he could be a bit "nippy" and he ran up, bowed for me and I pet him, he then grabbed wrapped mini twizzler off the table and put it in my hand and walked away. I was in love. We didn't have the money to get him at that time and I was heartbroken. That was October of 2017. I couldn't get him out of my mind and when we got the tax refund in February I was talking to @Mizzely about him still an she encouraged me to contact the person who had him. Obviously he was still there. I at the time thought he was a baby since I hadn't asked for more information. We drove the 2.5 hours to see him and that's when I found out he was actually 8 years old. I thought he had a really funny looking beak for a Meyers. He ended up mauling my hand and I just calmly put him down and talked to him and she said she trusted me with him just based on that fact.

She didn't know much of his history other than he had been rehomed twice for biting. He was afraid of hands for the longest time. He now adores me, but still doesn't like other people. It honestly just took time and trust. I was told though that he ate chop like a champ and he's almost never done that for me. He will eat sprouts and that's about it, he prefers freeze dried so that's what he gets. Now, all those yellow feathers are gone, he had a nutritional efficiency as well. The first time I weighed him he was 145 grams, which is good for a brown headed parrot (@Mizzely also pointed out to me that he was either a hybrid or just a brown head, which once the yellow feathers fell out we knew what he was). He is now 162 grams, and not fat at all, he's just a big boy, so 145 grams was actually underweight for him. Sorry I went into story time but, figured the whole experience might be helpful. Him as of the other day begging for scritches after bedtime. .

scritches.png

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
@webchirp rescued my Hahns, Gizmo. From what I recall she was in a very small cage with a single perch.

In my home she was terrified of anything stick like (including natural perches), hands, and even toys. It sometimes took her months to accept a new toy and everything had to go at a snail's pace for quite a while. When she first came here, she actually had to have most of her cage covered with only a corner to peek out of or she would constantly alarm call. We slowly got to move the blanket back farther and farther until she no longer needed that extra security. She had arthritis at the age of 10 because of her previous housing and she had to recover from elevated liver values due to diet. She adored me but was so afraid of hands I was never allowed to touch her. She would snuggle under my chin and let me pet her with my nose, but hands were always off limits. Getting her to eat new foods was hard because even some foods she was afraid of! Sadly, she died due to a toy accident. She grew leaps and bounds in my care and I always wonder about how she would be today if she had lived.

View attachment 312894

Ripley came to me from a Craigslist ad. He was in a small cage with 2 dowels, a ladder, and some rusty bells. He at least was allowed to come out of his cage and be on it. He was fed an all seed diet for his entire 19 years before living with me, and as a result came underweight and malnourished. Respiratory heart issues, over grown beak, loss of balance and grip due to nutritional deficiencies. He was so weak that even though he had full wings, he dropped like a rock because he just didn't have the muscle available to fly. He's been with me a year this month and he is a totally different bird! He has always been super friendly and affectionate, but now he spends a lot of his day foraging, playing, and loving life. His beak that I was told would need regular maintenance is just now maybe at a point where he needs it dremeled again because his diet has improved and so have his chances to wear it down himself. The click in his breathing is gone, and he can now fly from his cage to my bedroom (if he gets spooked...lol....he still doesn't realize flying can be a voluntary action!)

View attachment 312895

Birds in these situations need the things they haven't had before - they need good food, patience, and freedom to become the bird they have not been allowed or had the opportunity to be.
Gizmo was so terrified when I picked her up initially. She wouldn't even look at you and if you looked at her, she would freeze. It took three years to get her to a comfortable level of vocalizing and being okay with eye contact. She was a hot little mess.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Taco macaw comes from a case of known neglect, and Kamara CAG from a case of suspected abuse. I've only been in their lives for a short period of time, but I can tell you what life has been like with them so far.

When I first met Taco, the day I went to collect him from his old humans, he was kind of terrifying; he lunged and screamed and lashed out like an undersized dragon when the door of his cage was opened, and shrieked at the top of his lungs for the entire ride back to my house. I was pretty much confident that I was in for years of violent (though not undeserved) aggression. But once we were home, and Taco was able to walk around outside of his cage for the first time in 12 years, it was like he'd suddenly reverted back to a hatchling. He was desperate for attention and affection, and begged to be fed and have his head scratched. He stepped up for me a few days after we met, and within the week was following me around the house like a lost puppy, soaking up every ounce of love he could get.
We went through some major drama once hormone season hit, and Taco become a fully-fledged hornet's nest of a macaw who wanted to tear off my face and wear it like a trophy. He became fearful and was constantly stressed, which lasted a good few months, but once everything was over he seemed to be settled into a more mature mindframe; no longer wanting to constantly be coddled, and generally more independent overall, which is outstanding! He's still my buddy, and he loves to play on the floor with me and get his scritches, but he's so much more confident.

Kamara, on the other hand, was afraid from the get-go. Afraid of me, afraid of her toys, afraid of sticks, afraid of the radio, afraid of anything and anyone that moved or made a sound. She would scream bloody murder if I picked up a blanket, if I approached her cage to feed her, if I offered to mist her, if her roommate Kraz chirped too loud. Her vocabulary was horrible, and she'd angrily shout out awful things that she'd heard in her past, calling herself stupid and ugly and repeating every swear word in the book. She was a ball of frenetic energy caught in an endless loop of abject terror, and she was suspicious of everything.
To this day I can't touch her, and she still screams at the sight of a towel or a stick. But she chatters happily all day long, blows kisses to me across the room, plays with her toys, bathes in her dish, and dances along to the radio. With every month that passes she becomes braver and more adventurous, and is able to find joy. I'm incredibly proud of her!

Both of them have intense fear of many things that we might consider mundane or normal, and both display symptoms of lingering mental distress and anxiety. They've been through things I can't begin to imagine, and it's important to remember that recovery may take years -- or a lifetime. Someone who's been through trauma needs the ability to go at their own pace and decide for themselves how fast (or how slow) they're willing to approach new experiences, and that goes for all species. Be patient, be kind, and be loving.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh my some of these stories have made me cry both sad tears for what these birds went through and happy tears that they are now with you guys being loved on and cared for well, I did not realize that some of these beauties mentioned in this thread had previously been neglected or abused.
Thank you to all who have taken in the unwanted and poorly treated......you are all amazing selfless people :heart:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Sam Axe, my heart bird, was both neglected and abused.
I met him in the backyard rescue, and after seeing the conditions, I volunteered to clean and feed the birds. Sam was underweight, ignored, and afraid of everything and everyone. Except for me. I brought him warm mash on a spoon, and he latched on to anything I could give him. He had zero confidence, lived on the top of a cage when I first met him. Didn't even have a place to call his own. His feet were worn from being on the edge of the cage all the time. He used to have terrible balance and would sometimes, when startled, dropped to the floor. He was desperate for love and care.
He decided that I was his person, and everything I gave him was something that was HIS. I bought him a cage before I ever brought him home and his strength and ability to hold himself up increased, his courage increased (enough that either time the woman who owned the rescue or her husband entered her went into Battle Bird) and I was greeted with excited screaming, and departed with heart-wrenching "MA!" screaming.

Sam has his limits; he's not a hands on bird, though sometimes I think he'd like to be, he's just not ready. And that's okay. I don't push his limits, I just want him to be spoiled and happy. The hardest part is his health. His wing was broken, never healed right and he falls like a rock. I have towels around his cage for him. In his cage under his paper I have blankets that I change out and wash. Keeping weight on him is a constant challenge; something he'll eat one week he won't the next. The best advice has come from @Hankmacaw with food ideas, she's great when it comes to a lot of medical and food advice.

They show their gratitude; a rescued bird knows they were saved, and if you give them love and patience, you couldn't ask for a better companion. I think it's wonderful you're doing this and I hope you keep us updated and wish you the best of luck!

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Awe you guys :heart: All these stories of these sweet birds had me crying my eyes out...And then crying happy tears! It’s amazing what love and compassion can do. To hear these babies who were so terribly treated are now enjoying play time, tea time, scritches etc warms my heart!

@TikkiTembo these stories have a few things in common- love, trust, compassion and time. You obviously have the love, compassion and time and I know one day you will for sure get there with the trust!

I’m so excited to “meet” your new baby, they will be a lucky bird :)

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Oh good luck with giving the Rainbow Lorikeet a home! :) Rescues are incredibly special birds.

Ollie and Chico (both Amazons) came from neglected homes.

Ollie spent 4 years in a filthy cockatiel cage (his people were too scared of him to clean him out). His cage was on the floor with rats around him. As a result he has Aspergillosis, sinusitis, inflammed and scarred air sacs. His claws were so long one of them had grown full circle and back into his foot. His breathing was so laboured he wasn't expected to survive his first night. It's been a long haul for him physically and mentally. He lived with my friend who took him out of there for 9 months while she tried to find him a permanent home (she takes in rescues). He lived in her shed in case what he had was catching to her other birds. He was so quiet and frightened she called him a "mute statue". He was cage bound for the first 1.5 years with me. He has a phobia about hands. I never thought he would come out of his cage or let me touch him. I've worked hard with him and absolutely adore him.

Chico's original people (an elderly couple) died, so he was passed down through the family. The granddaughter was going to euthanise him as she hated him so much. Like Ollie he was in a tiny cage with a plastic perch so filthy and greasy it was black. My friend who rescued Ollie was told about Chico and saved him in the nick of time. Because Chico hated female humans, she placed him with a male friend. This friend let her down - she found Chico a year later in a terrible state. It was the depths of winter, and Chico who has bad arthritis in his knees and feet could hardly move because of the cold. His water was green sludge and he now had a ruptured air sac in his cheek. She took him out of there and was going to keep him, but gave him to me after I asked if she had an Amazon friend for Ollie. I've had to modify Chico's cage to make it safe for him. I've made him a padded platform as he kept falling because of his arthritis. He came to me only partially sighted but I think he is pretty much blind now - he's getting cataracts as well. He was incredibly aggressive towards me when he first arrived. I've had to work at desensitising him to me. It took a while, but now I can give him head scratches which he loves. His wings were plucked and tail was chewed. His wings won't grow back but his tail is looking pretty good now.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Fuzzy

Breaks my heart. Your poor little dudes

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Lorikeets need a highly specialized diet to be healthy. I doubt any of that was given. So depending on how old this bird is and what it was fed there is a probably a lot of deficiencies that will need to be addressed. A full blood workup at minimum to get a baseline and direction to proceed. I wish you luck. :hug8:
I saw a video of him yesterday, his feathers are quite dull and ragged looking, but he's already the proper diet at the rescue. And my new food processor is great! I made two loaves of birdie bread and one large batch of chop in minutes! If it all works out for us and the Lorikeet, it will be amazing to see his transformation.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
@TikkiTembo thats awesome! I’m sure all your birbs are also going to love the new food processor :smuggrin:

@Fuzzy Im so happy Ollie and Chico are with you! And really- the granddaughter was going to euthanize him because she hated him?! Omg! So glad your friend stepped in just in time! She sounds amazing too:heart:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Wow, everyone, there are some incredible stories here! I really appreciate you all sharing, as I can imagine it can stir up some intense emotions for you. The work you've done with your birds, and the patience and time you've given them has not only changed their lives, but will help other birds who end up with novices such as myself, as I go into any potential adoption from this hoarding situation not knowing how emotionally scarred a bird may be. You all give me hope and confidence, and a sense of peace that no matter what our relationship ends up like, I will be able to help heal the soul of a sweet little one :heart:

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
The rescue just posted a video of him, she says he's not handleable, which is expected! He will probably appreciate his own out of cage time, just once a day maybe to start, and we'll just plan to be home the rest of the day in case he's a pain to get back in the cage.

Something to think about with them is also how they react to other birds. My lorikeet has to come out alone, without other birds. She will attack my Blue Crown & Amazon. I haven't tried her with my cockatiel or budgies but on the rare occasions they fly onto her cage, she surprisingly does not attack them. Maybe she just has something against green birds :). Despite her not going to bite the feet of my tiel/budgies, I still have not attempted to have them out together and don't intend to. They can be jealous, attention-hogging, pissy little poopheads.

My amazon/Blue crown (mostly my Amazon) cannot even be IN HER SIGHTS or she screams this horrible murder cry and its like nails on a chalkboard.

At the same time, I've seen friendly lorikeets of ..lucky people :(... who can have theirs out no problem with other birds. The worst part is, MINE was raised with other birds! Blech.

Best of luck with your hopefully to-be lorikeet! Despite mine being how she is about other birds, she is insanely cuddly, and generally does not bite even when excited/stimulated. Might help I don't encourage sexual behavior at all (head scritches only) and no cuddles... she can cuddle again my neck or whatever but no cuddles from me!). Shes only made me bleed a small handful of times and only ONE of those times were from her being excited. Other times were my fault :).

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here's my story about Sydney :heart:
forums.avianavenue.com/index.php?threads/sydney-is-rescued-his-story.211264/

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
@Kenzie thank you for sharing! We've decided to assume that it will not be other bird friendly at all, and plan for that. I'm hoping that maybe Tootie the Nanday will be an okay companion one day, since he keeps to himself and doesn't bother anybody, but who knows. Maybe Tikki will be more it's cup of tea because he likes to play. There really isn't any way of knowing. I'm hoping that just having some happy birds around it will make it feel more at ease, even if it is still too scared to allow any human or bird interaction.

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
@Kenzie thank you for sharing! We've decided to assume that it will not be other bird friendly at all, and plan for that. I'm hoping that maybe Tootie the Nanday will be an okay companion one day, since he keeps to himself and doesn't bother anybody, but who knows. Maybe Tikki will be more it's cup of tea because he likes to play. There really isn't any way of knowing. I'm hoping that just having some happy birds around it will make it feel more at ease, even if it is still too scared to allow any human or bird interaction.

I hope the lorikeet is young enough to be able to be nice to other birds :). And yah seeing other birds being happy birds around you should certainly help!