• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about your Alexandrine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lux

Moving in
Real Name
Petra
So me and my boyfriend decided to buy a parrot and we were going to get an IRN until I laid my eyes on an Alexandrine in a pet shop. I just fell in love and now we're looking for an Alex :p
We're gonna get one hand fed babeh bird when we get back from vacation by the end of the month, and still having time to re-consider about the bird species I'd like if you'd tell me what your Alex is like :)

I have previous experience as a bird owner, I had a cocatiel who was really attached to me and he was tame as an overly friendly puppy, so I know how to handle birds and how to take care of them, I may not be a professional but I've seen what its like :p
Also if you'd suggest a different bird maybe, we're looking for a bigger bird, the size of an Alex is great, but also with the same price range :l

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We have a re-homed 8 year old female Alexandrine, Charlie. She came from a home where she lived outside for over 4 years after her previous owner brought her newborn son home from hospital, and then she started plucking, and still does. She can be sweet, she gives you kisses, but she is totally hands-off, you can’t touch her, she just prefers being with/on you, or being by herself. She is incredibly loud too, she is constantly having outbursts during the day, and it is high pitched, lasts from anywhere between 2-5 mins each time.

Here is a good article with more info: Alexandrine Parrots, Alexandrian Parrot, Psittacula Eupatria, Parakeet

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My Dad has an Alex, called Lola,
Just as Renae said, she wants to be on/with you all the time...but if you try and touch her, say bye bye too those fingers! She flies too you, and LOVES to be on you, but do NOT touch her!

She's incredibly loud too, she talks a lot, but her natural noise does my freaking head in and I could never own one myself, it makes the dog cry as well!

Tay05

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kaleigh
From everything I've heard and read about alex's I have the most un-alex like of them all. Most stories I hear are similar to the two above classifying them as extremely LOUD and hands off birds. Very needy and attention seeking but not exactly cuddly birds. And not overly good talkers if that's something you're looking for.

When I got Emmy, she was just over a year and not hand tamed at all. She was bought from a petstore because she was on sale then they realized she wasn't so friendly and never touched her for the 5 months they had her. Today she is completely opposite. She LOVES to be held petted kissed you name it. She can definitely be loud if you don't pay attention to her for a while but she can just as easily be entertained with an orange (she loves to peel and tear things apart). She eats dinner with me almost every night and has become quite the little food thief. Almost anyone can pet her now, even people she's never seen or met before and she has multiple people she'll step right up to. I bring her places with me all the time though to get her used to people and other things (pet store, cook outs, ice cream shops) and she loves it! Although usually becomes shy and doesn't do much my hid in my neck. Except cookouts because she runs around stealing everyones food!

Like I said though, Emmy is sort of an out lier of the alex species from what I gather and an IRN might be a better choice if you want a more friendly hands on bird. But as with any species you go with...it really depends on that individual bird, their upbringing and personality!

Ashleigh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ashleigh
Emmy sounds just like Yuki! :)
Yuki loves to be held, scratched, give kisses etc. She is also not needy, she can easily entertain herself with anything from the cat(cats meows she tries to meow back) to breaking her perches apart. Yuki isnt very loud but she does get loud when shes talking to our cat.

Yuki was also untame when I got her, she was parent raised and she became tame very fast. Maybe within a week of having her?
She loves hanging out with children. She comes to kindy with me sometimes. That's where I work :p
The children love to feed her and make bird safe toys for her to play with. :)
She does like to talk to the babies(between 1 - 2). Well squawk, it doesn't help the babies "squawk" back to her. They love to give her kisses. It is VERY cute.
She has NEVER bitten anyone. Everything is under close supervision.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i have 2 alexandrines here the female is a total love..i can do anything with her she is the lovest bird ever..the male has only been here about 4 months,he is 21yrs old he loves to sit on my lap and tell him how wonderful he is,,head scritches are ok but he would rather just sit with me

Lene

Strolling the yard
Max is just over a year old... We have a trade off... If he wants to chew on my buttons, I get to scratch his head... His body language is very clear... He doesn't want to step up, he takes my finger in his mouth and pushes it away.. If that doesn't work, he'll use his beak as well as his foot to push me away... Max likes to play with my fingers and will reverse the action, if he wants me close... He's just too cute... :hug8:

Tay05

Real Name
Kaleigh
Might be sounding like the female alex's a a little more personable! Emmy does the same thing as Max..if she doesn't want to be picked up she grabs my finger and throws it (much like she empties her toy bucket onto the floor by flinging them all).

This is turning into an alexandrine roll call, love it!

Ashleigh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ashleigh
Yuki does the same thing as Max and Emmy when she doesn't want to be picked up.
Yuki also likes to play with fingers. She loves fingernails.
:heart:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I have a 3 yr old Alex, and I am his second home, not including his breeder. The owner before me was an AA members family member.
Im not sure exactly how he was for them.

For us, he took a long time to come around to trusting us. He does NOT handle change well, he gets pretty nervous easily even now that we have had him for a year or so. He LOVES men and tolerates women. He IS NOT cuddly, and does NOT like to be touched at all other than beak kisses, even by my husband who he adores! He tolerates the other parrots, but does not like them. Even though he can be a little on the cranky side most of the time (which is why he loves my cranky husband Im sure, LOL), he has NEVER bitten us, though he does lunge or "hiss" when he is trying to show his disklike for something. He tends to have obsessive behaviors when he is nervous which he came to us with and my other parrots do not display, though we are working on that and he is improving. (Ex: Bar hanging, obsessing over tongues, tapping, etc)

When he wants to be, he can be loud as any parrot can, and his octives can make your ear drums vibrate, but for the most part he only has a loud bout of repetetive cheaping around 8pm-9pm and otherwise is pretty quiet and speaks to us at a regular voice level when he is interacting (unlike my IRN's who will scream full force whlie on you shoulder just because they can, LOL)

He is VERY smart and quick to pick up on new vocab and other things in comparison to my IRN's. He can be really funny and witty and evil in his thought process! He does the flicking thing as well, where if I give him food he dislikes he will disgustedly flick it out of his bowl and eye me for a second to make sure I got the drift. He has also been known to hold my husbands finger gently when he is trying to get his attention, or hold your earlobe or tap your cheek, LOL

I LOVE him, and am so gratefule to the family who trusted us with him. I couldnt imagine owning parrots without owning my Peachy :)

Way to go to you for starting with such a large bird, just be prepared for it to be NOTHING like owning a Cockatiel, LOL

RedFeather

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Leah
We got Kado from an abusive situation when he was in his late teens. It took him a few months to come to trust us, but once he did, he was a nearly perfect pet. He never bit me after the first month, and was very clear if he didn't like or trust something (clear body language and a creepy warning laugh sound). He could be very loud when he wanted something, but it wasn't anything we couldn't live with and he would quiet down after being told to, or his cage would be briefly covered until he was quiet.

He came to enjoy having his head and back stroked in the direction of his feathers and would allow myself, my husband and one of my daughters to do this. The other daughter didn't spend much time with him and he never trusted her entirely. He would sometimes let me touch under his wings, but he didn't like it, so I didn't push. He was very affectionate with us and loved to sit nearby or, preferably, on us. He was a big food and drink mooch, so I would often have to get a cup or plate of something he could have, so he could eat/drink with us.

He never showed any sign of personality change associated with hormones or seasons, and was uniformly friendly. He would be mildly out-of-sorts during his summer moult, but that was just because he was clearly uncomfortable. Normally, I would never stroke down the back of a bird, and I wouldn't allow any other bird to dry regurgitate for us, but he loved to do both and wasn't picky who he demonstrated this devotion to. He was just as quick to practice a regurgitation dance for my husband or daughter as he was for me. It seemed to satisfy him that he could do this, so we let him do it as it didn't connect to any undesirable behaviour and he wasn't fixated on one person as a 'mate'.

He was friendly, if a bit hesitant and reserved with strange visitors, but remembered my extended family and always had a greeting for them. If the new person allowed Kado to come to them, he would warm up pretty quick but they didn't have any touching privileges. My Aunt felt she was a parrot expert after coming to know her neighbours amazons, and she tried to dominate Kado rather than let him come to her. She missed the point that he wasn't interested in dominance struggles and was totally straight forward, and he never forgave her for pushing.

He wasn't a fan of dogs, but he found our cats endlessly amusing. They were terrified of him...:lol:

He discovered wood toys when he moved in with us and was a total chainsaw for about 3 years. Then he seemed to get bored with wood and more interested in puzzle toys. I tried to make the wood toys novel and interesting, but I think he just got over the concept and I noticed that he would get bored easily with things even if he loved it at first. Kado was very destructive so he could never be left alone out of the cage. I don't think any button I had was intact by the end.

I never was successful in getting him to eat pellets of any type (he was so against pellets that he would rather starve and got increasingly loud until I gave him his seeds/fruit/veg back). His favourites were apples and walnuts.

He spoke in a very very clear high voice and had a vocabulary of about 30 words including what I think might have been Italian profanities from his last owner. :D He usually didn't use words other than 'hello Kado' when we were in the room. His contact call with me was a pattern of clucks and whistles that had a different call and response I had to get right or he would start over. He was clearly really smart.

I kept him fully flighted, and we practiced flying off my wrist. He wasn't so great at landings and was a blazingly fast flier, so I always kept the drapes pulled for this to reduce crashes. He eventually got pretty good, but was more a straight line rocket than anything else. I got him used to a flight harness, but being outside was just too stressful.

We miss him desperately and would have another in a heartbeat. Hope this helps!

Parrotadise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
I just rescued a 7 month old alexandrine from a girl that didn't want him for he was a gift from a exboyfriend and she was not a bird person. I also have a 7 month old IRN and I have to agree they can be LOUD and he is not tame but with time and trust hopefully I can win him over :)

Status
Not open for further replies.