• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about your Alexandrine(s)! or other ringnecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashleigh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ashleigh
I would love to know about your fids!<3
Like are they cuddly? Like how there personality is like.

Here are my two Alex's.
Alex on the Left and Yuki on the right.

Alex is more independent. He is more like a one person bird, he doesn't mind being touched but he doesn't like scratches or anything.

Yuki is a very very friendly bird. She loves scratches and attention. She loves anyone. She comes with me to work sometimes (Childcare centre - children under 5). And she is so well behaved, so are the children. They really love her. She is just so sweet.:heart::heart:

ShirleyBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cimber
Laverene and Shirley are little monsters,lol. They get into anything that looks fun and have to be watched carefully for signs of unhappiness..or you WILL get bit.They don't like to be touched AT ALL(they step up on a perch) however they are very good about taking treats from hands politely though..They are loud, silly,and GREAT fliers and I think they are absolutely beautiful.So other than the whole "don't touch me thing" they ARE great companions.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have a 8 year old female Alexandrine, Charlie, and a 2 year old male Indian Ringneck, Keiba.

I adopted Charlie last year from a lady who just couldn’t give her the care and attention that she needed because she had a 4 year old, and a newborn. Charlie was put outside to live for a bit over 4 years, and during that time, she had plucked, and she stopped, and then when the lady fell pregnant again, she had plucked again, and even laid an egg.. the lack of care/attention done this, and she was quite attached to her previous owner which is what caused the plucking as well. Charlie is a sweet, and funny girl, but she won’t let anyone touch her, she is happy to sit on your shoulder/arm/hand, but that is it, she is hands-off.

She is very special to me, and I love her. She is completely spoiled and she thinks she has run of the house, lol. :heart:

And then there is Keiba…

I got Keiba from a breeder when he was 8ish weeks old, and he is completely different. He the utmost biggest softie, he has a very laid back personality, he is sweet, he affectionate, friendly, I couldn’t possibly ask for more from him!

Keiba is my baby, and I have to say getting an Indian Ringneck has been one of the best decisions I have ever made, he is amazing and I can’t now, and never will, be able to imagine not having him as part of my life, every day with him is unforgettable. I most look forward to spending many, many years with him. :heart:

DSC_0964.jpg

keiba3.jpg

Ashleigh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ashleigh
Charlie is so goregoues.
Alex was a recue situation. Well kind of like one. My friend use to own him, she only wanted him beucause "all parrots talk". But he didn't talk when he was with her. He was kept in a tiny cage (about the size or a budgie) and only feed on sunflower seeds. Even worse he use to be an avairy bird (from what she told me) and they put him in this tiny cage. They also use to "punish him" when he bit them. As they wanted he to not bite and thought that would fix it. He was also kept in the dark.

Then one day my friend came to me and said "Hey do you want my parrot? It's dumb and it doesn't talk. It also bites. Im asking you as you did a course in animal care". I said I'll see how he is first. (Ive never owned a bird before so I wasn't sure) When I went to go look at him, I saw how bad he was, all his tail feathers were chewed up. He had a very bad wing clipping. (In my course we learned how to take care of birds). Me thinking I know he is in a bad state and if she gave him to someone else who knows what will happen to him. I also asked ehr questions like what did you feed him, hold old is he etc. That's when she told me all those things above. So of course I took him. I knew a bit about Alexandrines as one of the birds we took care of was an alexandrine. But I also researched online.

First thing I did was that I bought him a nice large cage! : D
He didn't like me at all. He would sqwauk if I was 1 metre near his cage. It took like 2 months to gain his trust. And now hes sweet to me. He doesn't really mind me giving him scratches. But other people he freaks out.

I can see why it takes awhile for him to trust anyone. If he knows you, he will let you hold him and pat him.

This is him after his moult :heart::heart:
Well he was still kind of moulting/

He doesn't chew on his feathers anymore, all he has is a bit of a trust issue, but I really can't blame him.
I was told he was about a year old, and that he was DNA'd male. But im not sure about that, I think Alex is a she.

Keiba sounds so much like Yuki. Is he also very curious? And gets interested in everything? Yuki is like that.
I love the pictures btw. Very cute.

Laverene and Shirley sounds like the two ringnecks I looked after for a month. Happy little monsters that are full of energy.!
But they do sound lovely, they really sound like they are quite the characters.
:heart:

Last edited:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I have two female Indian Ringnecks, Prudence and Penny. Both are serisously affectionate and cuddly and DEMAND attention. They have deffinite personalaties! Prudence is a Diva, who expects the world revolves around her. Penny is a clown, always using humorous new ways to get your attention, or what she wants. She really seems to strive to make you laugh, and really enjoys when you do!

Then we have Peaches, an Alexandrine. He is a rehome, from an AA members family actually. He is sensitive, and set in his ways. Not physical in any way, but VERY social. He NEEDS tons of social interaction, and pretty much demands your attention when he wants it, and will be nasty as ever when he doesnt, LOL He's pretty funny too! And he picks up on phrases sooooo quickly!!!!

I love all three of my Ringnecks and I wouldnt live without them!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan is our 21 year old IRN. We bought him from a breeder just after weaning. He is very friendly to everybody. He is not cuddly, though. His favorite thing is to climb up on a shoulder (anybody's shoulder) and visit. He is our leading birdie ambassador,going on visits to schools, nursing homes, etc.
At home, Titan will follow my brother in law, around the house. Though fully fighted, he DOES NOT fly much. He is a very steady bird,even when the silly season hits. As far as I can remember, he's never bitten anybody.
Alex and Yuki are beautiful....

Status
Not open for further replies.