• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about life with your Goffins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julsiebean

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Julie
No, no, not planning on one or anything, just like them and want to know more about them!

wolfysluv

Real Name
rebecca stout
One word. Snuggle bunny. Lol. Um, I won't bore you with our day. But what I'll do is ramble on and type out what she is like at random. Not sure how else to do it.

I'd say Tika isn't quite as intelligent as the Bare eyed's I see, let alone the bigger toos. That surprised me when I got to know the goffins better. They are hyper. Like they run around like a child on crack. I know all toos are energetic and wild, but a goffins is always on the move. That kind of active. Mine is very quiet, to me anyway. She doenst' do long scream sessions or any of that. And when she does call out, its not ear piercing pitched and its not loud enough to be heard down the street like other toos. She gobbles like a turkey or angry old women a lot and thats hysterical. They all do that. She hates going to bed like nobody's business. We had to go through a short ritual so she does't scream for more than a few times when we leave her to go to bed. This got much better when she became an adult though. She can say three things. Thats it. She picked those up quickly as a baby, then nothing else. Despite the fact that I have an astonishing talking tiel and the fact that I"m home all day working with her. Oh she throws temper tantrums that are so funny. She'll yell and run around her cage in circles then run up to her food dish, grab fist fulls of food and throw them on top of her head repeatedly. This goes on and on til she runs out of steam. The tantrums are few and far between. She is not neurotic or as unpredicatable as some big toos. In my case though, Tika isn't the norm. She is a stinker, wild like Solo the BE here in the forum. To give you an idea, she gets jealous very easily of "things" (not people or animals). If I play on my phone, DS, fool with the tv controller too long, etc, she'll actually fly across the room and bite my hand quite bad. If I'm on the computer too long and she really wants to play or is hormonal, get this, she'll fly across the room, land on my head, get a good grip on my hair, flip upside down swinging from my hair and try to bite my face. Its weeeeeeeird. And she does it in a nano second. Sometimes I can't stop her in time. Very scary. From what I understand this is NOT typical at all of goffins ... its one of her quirks and an example of wildness that isn't in all goffins. She LOVES visitors. Omg. if you walk into this house she will make a bee line to you and get on you. She'll run her beak through your hair and use her foot to caress your face. Its awesome. I've always been scared of having a one person bird. Of course, we chronically pushed her onto people growing up. Even if she was terrified and grabbed us with a death grip. It payed off. She likes traveling. She was very phobic as a child. Had to really really work on that for a good year or two, can't remember. but not now! She loves animals unless they are big and furry. She likes tiny ones. Tiny furry ones.

Jan here and I marvel at how alike our goffins are despite them being a diff sex and having diff backgrounds. For years we'd text each other things like, "Hey, Tika will only eat tiny things the size for conures or teils if they are hard or are pellets. It drives me nuts. Speaking of which she wont crack those or anything." Then I'd get a text telling me Jaden was the same way. We have a long list of things like that which we concluded were goffin traits. Things like grabbing something and repeatedly trying to put it on their shoulders despite the fact it rolls right off and is pointless.

Okay done now. But I'd love to go on more, or at least present things in a different way if you ever wanted. This is a great question. I hope lots of people answer.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I've never owned one but I had the pleasure of working with one over about a 6 month time she was SO smart. She was a super mechanical bird, loved pulling things apart and turning keys and such. She only would tollerate some people cuddling her tho. She really wasn't the biggest fan of it by people she didn't know.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cassie is a rehomed goffin's that I've had for a little over a year. Her first home was mediocre which I think is why she is the way she is. In the cage, she won't do anything but eat and pick at toys a little bit. Unless I make her forage. Once outside of the cage, she loves to fly and come visiting but she's lukewarm about being touched. She does have moments of being down right snugly, but most of the time she just wants a quick head scratch and then she's done. She'd rather hang out on my knee or shoulder taking in the world. She is obsessed with pens and pencils and is the only bird that will actually snatch something out of my hand and fly away with it. She has a different kind of intelligence that the larger cockatoos do. I'm not sure she's less intelligent, just different. Very quick and if she decides she needs to do something she goes right for it and she's usually pretty accurate in figuring out how things work or how to do something with very little trial and error.

She's a piece of cake to have around the house. In fact, I wouldn't mind if she were a little more of a typical cockatoo. A few more moments of sweetness would be nice. It seems strange I can let her out and for the most part trust that she isn't going to destroy anything other than keyboards and writing utensils.. The only one of my big birds that has earned that kind of freedom. I think it comes from the borderline neglect of her first home. Granted she learned tons of independence, but she didn't really learn how to be a normal cockatoo either. Somewhere in the middle would be nice.
She can bite, but its usually if I've overstepped her boundaries. Normally she's pretty easily handled and doesn't have the spiteful bite just to get a reaction that my sulfur sometimes does. But, at the same time, Cassie is more likely to bite if being petted more than she'd like or if she's in full blown strut mode. But that is true of a lot of cockatoos. Not just goffin's.
Melissa

Julsiebean

Real Name
Julie
^She sounds like a real sweetheart. :heart:

Karighan

Hit the Road
Real Name
Liz
The past week with Charity has really been a joy. She's intelligent, playful, loving, and a brat. The comparison to a human toddler really is spot on. She's very vocal-- but not a screamer. She makes all kinds of noises, from a high-pitched squeal-coo, to a low, rumbling sound that's a lot like a growl.
She wants to be with me all of the time, but can and will entertain herself in the playroom if I'm not interested/willing to play/hold her. She's usually content to sit on my shoulder and preen me for long periods-- or, perch on my foot (I tend to sit cross-legged in my chairs) and manhandle a toy for hours at a time(or until the toy is sufficiently destroyed).

Charity has already begun recall-training, and thrives on learning. She can wave, and give kisses already. She's a very tactile bird. I've seen parrots use their feet, but none with as much skill or as often as Charity does. She quite literally uses her little toes as hands 90% of the day. Picking up toys, throwing things, eating, grabbing at me. It's astounding to watch. I'm thinking I'm going to have to add padlocks to her cages soon, because I've caught her trying to move the latches through the bars.

Never underestimate the problem-solving skills, or the determination, of a Cockatoo-- big or small.

I cannot for the life of me remember who here has this quote in their sig', but it really sums up Charity: "..'No', to a Cockatoo, means: 'Try again later."

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
My Goffin is my first bird. She's now about 17 years old. She's my heart bird. Sweden loves each and every one of my family, she's not a one person bird. She's a one family bird. She loves to snuggle on her own terms. But she's by no means a velvro bird. Your shoulder though is her favorite perch. She almost never nips (except me when she's in the mood), and she's the bird my daughters will be fighting over when I'm done with earthly pleasures.

She's a full fledged teacher.....lol She taught me how to live with birds. She's demanding, loving, forgiving, silly, and entertaining. She's intelligent, feisty, always into trouble, and never does wrong! :p

Once a Goffin takes over your home, it's never the same. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.