• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tell me about cage aggression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featherluv

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Stefanie
What's it like & how do you deal with it? :confused:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, in our homes, a cage represents a nest to the bird. That is where they sleep, where they go for protection...it's theirs, and often the only place in the home that is. Their instincts would tell them to defend that property from anyone who isn't the mate.

So, if you are not seen as a mate, or nestmate for some species who allow it, your bird could see you as a rival, trying to steal their nest! :eek:

For my Quaker, I am not the mate :p I am also not one of the birds that "rooms" with him. So I am not allowed in the cage. My husband is, though. If I try to get near to his cage, he will show me aggressive behaviors telling me to back off. If I don't, I get bit. Simple as that! The hardest part is bowls - Jingo is VERY protective of his bowls and goes crazy trying to bite me if I play with them or even LOOK like I might play with them. I really should get it on video.

I deal with it by using feeder doors while he is in the cage and can't be let out; they aren't very nice doors though, so I use a piece of cardboard in the opening to protect my fingers while I change bowls out. If I am cleaning his cage or rearranging it, I lock him out of the bird room. He is allowed to come out of his cage on his terms; he does not have to step up to do this. I also just use treats as incentive to get him back into the cage rather than try to get him to go in...because the moment my hand gets in the threat range, even if he is ON that hand, I'll get bit!

Cage aggression sounds scary - and it can be. But it really is so easy to work around it that it's not that big of a deal IMO :) I will be upgrading to a better cage with better feed doors in the future though :rofl:

Featherluv

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Stefanie
Well, in our homes, a cage represents a nest to the bird. That is where they sleep, where they go for protection...it's theirs, and often the only place in the home that is. Their instincts would tell them to defend that property from anyone who isn't the mate.

So, if you are not seen as a mate, or nestmate for some species who allow it, your bird could see you as a rival, trying to steal their nest! :eek:

For my Quaker, I am not the mate :p I am also not one of the birds that "rooms" with him. So I am not allowed in the cage. My husband is, though. If I try to get near to his cage, he will show me aggressive behaviors telling me to back off. If I don't, I get bit. Simple as that! The hardest part is bowls - Jingo is VERY protective of his bowls and goes crazy trying to bite me if I play with them or even LOOK like I might play with them. I really should get it on video.

I deal with it by using feeder doors while he is in the cage and can't be let out; they aren't very nice doors though, so I use a piece of cardboard in the opening to protect my fingers while I change bowls out. If I am cleaning his cage or rearranging it, I lock him out of the bird room. He is allowed to come out of his cage on his terms; he does not have to step up to do this. I also just use treats as incentive to get him back into the cage rather than try to get him to go in...because the moment my hand gets in the threat range, even if he is ON that hand, I'll get bit!

Cage aggression sounds scary - and it can be. But it really is so easy to work around it that it's not that big of a deal IMO :) I will be upgrading to a better cage with better feed doors in the future though :rofl:

Wow, thank you for sharing! It does seem intimidating & scary, I appreciate your saying its not that big of a deal though!

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
I had female budgies who were cage aggressive, but they were fine with me changing their food and water bowls and I could hang out with them and do whatever in their cage while they were out. But they hated, hated it if I would bug them directly while inside their cage and bit me quite bad. I learnt my lesson quickly, plus there's no reason for me to bug them while inside their cage, I could wait to interact once they were out. I guess there are varying degrees of cage territorial behavior too, my budgies weren't nearly as bad as what Jingo the Quaker is described to be like. My budgies were very easy to manage.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
A perch on the inside of the door can be a helpful tool. The bird goes to the perch, you open the door, and they are technically not in the cage anymore. It doesn't seem like this simple thing would make a difference, but it really can. Good luck.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
A perch on the inside of the door can be a helpful tool. The bird goes to the perch, you open the door, and they are technically not in the cage anymore. It doesn't seem like this simple thing would make a difference, but it really can. Good luck.
It CAN help, and I do try this, but Jingo isn't fooled :p

Tay05

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kaleigh
My male plets are extremely cage aggressive. I however knew that would be the case since they are in M/F pairs. But like as mentioned..that is their nest so I respect that it's their space and they don't want me in it. All socializing is done in a different room than their cage.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
My guys are cage aggressive. Well, they are pretty much territorial of anything they are on that they think is theres. :p If I reach into the cage, Kendalyn will run up and bite me fairly hard but doesn't usually draw blood. If I pick her up off of her trees she will nip but then step up just to say "I'll step up, but it was my idea." At least that's what I get out of it. Kin doesn't really attack and bite because he's afraid of hands but he does a lot of displaying and chirping at me.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Milo is very cage aggressive, when I have more time ill do a more detailed post

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
My Red Bellied Parrot, Shadow, was cage aggressive from day one when she was given to me March 18th of last year. I deal with it by not pushing myself on her. I watch her eyes and body language. She is most upset if I open the side food doors while she is inside of the cage. So...I service the cage when she is out in the other room, on her playstand or in another cage I keep for her in the other room. She also lunges at my hands when I offer her a treat through the bars. I am getting her to accept things from me by letting her watch me eat a piece of the treat. Then I very slowly offer her a piece. It has taken me a year to get her to take a bite calmly thorough the bars! Also, while she is inside of her cage I do not go into the cage. It is her territory and I am willing to respect this. Now, when I open the door and ask if she wants to come out, she is almost always willing to step up or come out without lunging for me to back away. She is much more fun to be around, I think, because I am giving her a lot of room and respect. Because I have done these things, I believe it is the reason Shadow is so very gentle, much more so than ever these past few months. I always think of respect in everything I do with her.

Last edited:

Nevermores Mum

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kacie
My Pacific parrotlet Jaxson is SUPER cage terretorial. Its simple, open the door, step back, & let him come out on his own.. Besidesvthe cage, he is sweet & social. I dont mind him wanting his own space to stay private. He comes out & says "step up" & then I know he is ready. Easyvpeezy.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
The rules are quite simple with Nibs and Prisca's cage. If your hand is carrying a Millet Spray in it, it's welcome near and inside the cage. If your hand is empty, get no where near the cage! Sometimes it's very difficult even getting their food cups out of the cage. These little guys can get from one side of the cage to the other at lightning speed and they are very determined to bite your hand. lol Nibs, the male is far more protective of the cage and sometimes difficult to get out of it. Prisca is easily coaxed out of the cage on my arm. Once away from the cage they're both very docile.

Status
Not open for further replies.