• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teflon Poisoning In Parrots

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
It is so scary to me to think about all the various products we have in our homes and things that might injure our pets! When my home became a budgie habitat again last year after fifteen years of Lucy passing of old age, I was immediately worried about all manner of danger. I completely forgot I have those electronic pest repellers plugged into most rooms in the house, (and still do), because after I realized it, my budgies had been here for quite a long time. I completely forgot about the darn rat poison near the kitchen in obscure places, but still a place a bird could reach! I thought about that after Fergus flew behind the stove that time! So - whew! Dodged a bullet on that one. I guess the electronic repeller sound things don't bother them, but I'd feel much better if I could ASK them - do you hear any weird buzzing guys? The darn stereo that I bought specifically for them buzzes too, and I'm not sure why. (When OFF, I mean).

I guess I said all this to say - I do the best I can to make sure mine are fed well, safe, and happy, and since Lucy-bird was with me for over 6 years (no idea how old when we got her), I sure hope I am doing enough! I do use non stick cookware, but the birds do not go in the kitchen, and they are a long way from it. I am very cautious with it though - not to overheat it, and don't leave the pans on the burner any longer than I have to. When microwaves first became popular in homes in the early '70's, I remember my father expressing concern over people using the foam plates with them, and saying it would emit noxious fumes. (I do that all the time too, and hope for the best) I still worry, and I hope I'm doing all I can, but gee, carcinogens and toxic stuff everywhere it seems. :(

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When it comes to our birds safety, worry is a good thing. I thought the article was very comprehensive.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Thanks Dianne. Are the granite rock and red copper pans alright?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne