• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teenager or am I doing something wrong?

Sockyre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shannon
All the sudden, Groot has started being very aggressive, and he has never ever been like this before. I know about how their hormones can make them aggressive, but I'm worried I may be doing something wrong. He's always been so sweet, and when ever I'm sad he'll become as cuddly as possible. He's about seven months old. Just yesterday, when I opened his cage to let him out, he leapt onto my shoulder and grabbed onto my ear and drew blood- which he has NEVER drawn blood before. I got him off and set him on the floor (I had read this was a good way to teach them that biting is bad, please correct me if this is wrong), and I tried not to make any noise, but of course I was shocked. Following that when I went to pick him up he bit my hand and just kept biting! I put him on the chair next to me, and he just started flapping his wings then he'd pause and turn his head away. After a bit I picked him up and held him close to my chest and pet him and he calmed down and became just as sweet as he was before, so I took him out and sat on the couch with him, and he bit me a bit after that but then was fine.

A point to make: He hasn't been resting well. After I turn off the lights he would squawk and and run around on the cage floor, or just sit and eat while chattering quietly. He's been doing this most nights. I used to cover the cage but this would make it worse, also I tried putting in a night light which helped the first night but then he went back to making noise. Maybe he's sleep deprived?

This morning when I got up I took him out like I always do and he was fine, just like he always was. He was out with me until around 11:10, at which point I left with my mom for about two hours. When I came back, he was doing this little dance that he does for several things. He flattened all of his feathers and poofs just the once on his cheek and the back of his head and makes this noise that sounds like "Spielur!" while bobbing his head p and down. He does this when he's excited, like when he sees my mom who he loves, he does it when he sees his reflection or another bird (so when he's being aggressive), and when he's just dancing to music. I thought he was just happy to see me, so I opened the door and offered my hand, and he got on then bit me and drew blood again! After that he's been continuously aggressive since then. I'm so worried that I'm doing something wrong, because it's just so sudden for his teenager phase to hit. Lately, I have been depressed and this isn't helping, so my brother thought that maybe he was chasing me away from the "danger" that was my sadness, since in the wild he read parrots will sometimes try and chase their mates away from danger by attacking them. But, he also bit my mom so I thought this was unlikely. I just want my sweet birdy back, either a year from now when he's done being a teenager, or when I stop doing wrong whatever I'm doing wrong.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
BUMP, BUMP

Perocore

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Arik
Since my sister forgot, I thought I'd put this in-
Groot is molting right now, I think it's his first molt (my sister would know for sure), could that be causing the aggression? I know all of our other pets (chickens, rabbits, reptiles, etc) tend to be quite moody when molting/shedding, so it'd make sense if parrots get moody, as well.

Monkey & Izzy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tanya
My Ringneck gets cranky when he is molting. He pinches more and doesn't want to be handled. So it is possible that is the reason. Hopefully some one else with have more answers.

faeryphoebe1

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I don't know if I can be of any help because when I got Trixie she (or he) was already an adult.

Trixie was probably hand tamed not hand raised. She's always been nippy. Hormones and molting make it much worse, though. Plus she's cage aggressive.

Trixie is super cuddly but only on her terms. If you try to cuddle her when she doesn't want to be cuddled you will get bitten.

Lately she has taken great offence to my husband hugging or giving me a kiss. If he does, Trixie clamps down on me and won't let go.

When I finally unhinge her little beak, she tells me off in birdie bad language. She has become quite possessive of me, lately. I can't even greet any other pet before her or she will nip me.

I know that it's my own fault really. She is just so adorable and cute, I have trouble saying "no" to her.
My son even calls her, "little Satan".

I really think that you will find a balance with your GCC.
Groot is probably past the baby stage now and is getting hormonal. Plus the molting doesn't help.

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Titus is 2.5 years old and constantly like Groot at the moment. He draws blood and actively seeks out my face to bite. He does his little strut and side to side dance; which seems to show menace. He asks for scritches but bites out of the blue mid scritch. He's also very screamy.

Pie is 1 yr and just a regular happy hyper Conure. She's sweet but Titus hates her too and his behaviour must stress her out.

Struggling with Titus at the moment as I'm actually getting a little scared of him. He bites my housemate but not very much. I can't figure out his little birdy brain.

I hope Groot is just a grumpy but from moulting. Is he getting plenty of baths?

Elinesta

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ellen
I have two green cheeks (is this what Groot is? I'm going by your avatar picture) and both of them can become EXTREMELY picky when they're molting. One of them looooves to have me help her with her new feathers and will force herself under my finger until I agree to scratch her... but the second I scratch her the wrong way, she screeches and bites the crap out of me. So ungrateful. She's been known to draw blood many times but this is normally reserved for her molts or for her tired days (I rarely do it but sometimes I keep her up past her bedtime and she usually lets me know through her crankiness).

Something I do with my conures is to teach them a command reserved for biting behavior. Mine is "be gentle." If my babies are playing too rough and starting to hurt each other or myself or if they want to attack the newcomer, I tell them to "be gentle" and if they disobey, then I put them into their cage for five minutes. Mine are a bit too stubborn for shaking to work, but I have read that if they escalate to biting your hand, shaking your hand can unbalance them and teach them not to bite (the hand).

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
That is kind of young to be this aggressive. Mine just started the same thing about 2 or 3 months ago. He is almost 11 years old. He was the sweetest and most loving bird ever. He would give me tongue kisses. Right now i am almost afraid of handling him. So i feel for you my dear. My heart is totally broken. I have had this bird since he was 3 weeks old. You might try and spray him daily with a misting bottle. Add some Aloe Vera Juice into the water. He might be itchy and cranky. Not sure what else to recommend.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Our parrots change and go through phases and behavior differences just like people do while growing up. It seems quite young for hormones, but I'm not sure at what age your parrot matures. Besides hormonal changes, are also just maturity phases and changes. I think like teens, they just don't know how to handle all the feelings that rage through their little bodies.

IMO you just have to roll with the punches and wait and watch to see how things even out. Many young birds do lose that loving cuddly behavior, though not all by any means. Your baby may just be growing up, and doesn't know how to handle it.

I'd suggest you doing all you can to avoid the bites for now. Watch body language closely, and/or use a blanket/towel to drape over your hand, perhaps even stick train so you lesson the chance of a bite while handling him. Biting in a growing baby seems to happen often, yet then phases slowly out, as long as it doesn't become a set habit. That's the crutch of the matter, not allowing it to become a set pattern!

So try and handle a little differently for a while. See if time and age slows down some of the testy behavior.

Sockyre

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shannon
Yes, Groot is a GCC :)
Thanks for your opinions. I contacted the breeder I got him from for her opinion, and she thought it was just because he's molting too. I really hope it's not a lasting thing though, as he is my ESA and we rely on each other for a lot. He seems to be getting better though, calming down quicker after his little episodes of aggression and going back to his cuddly self. I just bought him a bigger cage, hoping that would help (Well it's not as tall as his other one, but longer and wider, which helps because he loves to run around on the bottom), and it seems to have helped a tiny bit. I also bought a spray that's supposed to help with molting. Sadly, he hasn't been taking many baths even though I have a bathing dish in there with him. He took one a couple days ago but hasn't really since, at least that I've noticed. I'm uneasy about showering with him, I normally do about every other day but since he's been cranky I haven't even though I should. Do any of you know how to encourage him bathing? Today I'm going to my brother's house, which he loves so I'm hoping that'll help cheer him up. He loves my brother and getting to go where ever he wants (He can't at my house because of the puppy and cats...) However, I'm also kind of apprehensive about taking him, because it might make him moodier. But I think it might also help, since like I said, he loves to go there, and he loves to travel. He has this special happy noise he makes in the car and loves to look out the window.
I'm sad to hear so many of you have similar experiences...Although relieved that I'm not alone, and thankful for your help :). So do your GCCs go back to normal when they're done molting, Elinesta? Anyways, thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
ALSO just as a heads up. He is way too young to be a ESA. He is just a baby and will eventually grow up into a sexually mature bird. He may choose a different person as his mate and chosen human. Just something to think about incase he does go through this.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The best way to teach a parrot not to bite is to not get bitten in the first place. I know, easier said than done!

Has anything changed? Besides his cage, is his diet any different? Are you interacting with him any different? Is something in the room different? Is he going to sleep at the same time?

What about giving him some new toys? Or teaching him new behaviors such as turn around, big eagle, shake, etc?