• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching flight

Beth In Alaska

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Beth
I would like to teach Popper to actually fly and land safely. He is big but we have a room big enough and we are working on the harness. Is there a good site or video that worked for someone?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
How big is big enough? This is a lot more complicated than you realize. There are many factors as to whether Popper is going to fly or not. A fully mature adult bird that has never been fledged and been clipped its whole life truly does not know how to fly. They lack the confidence to even try and literally lose the will to fly. The stress and anxiety are overwhelming. If they navigate the world they are in now without flying they don't feel the need. It will take a lot of patience and very small baby steps. And you must be prepared that he may not ever be an effortless natural flyer.

So depending on Poppers situation? Does he have all his full flights on his wings? To "learn" flight for a big bird like that you will need a very large space like a gymnasium or a warehouse. A few flaps across a room won't cut it. It's a place to start anyway.

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
We have a 40 foot space (length) in the house but I am sure I can find a bigger space. He is not clipped but of course I don't know if he has been most of his life. He does flap and glide - when something scares him, but he just flies into things instead of landing. But there is some foundation there.

The other day he was on a perch practicing flapping and flapped himself into a prone position. He yelled bloody murder and Ben ran in to see what was going on but was afraid to help the flapping Maniac because I have put the fear of the beak into him. Eventually popper let go of the perch and flew into the next room where he was able to grab and cling on the blinds.

I think he is close to flight. I mostly want him to land safely.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We have a 40 foot space (length) in the house but I am sure I can find a bigger space. He is not clipped but of course I don't know if he has been most of his life. He does flap and glide - when something scares him, but he just flies into things instead of landing. But there is some foundation there.

The other day he was on a perch practicing flapping and flapped himself into a prone position. He yelled bloody murder and Ben ran in to see what was going on but was afraid to help the flapping Maniac because I have put the fear of the beak into him. Eventually popper let go of the perch and flew into the next room where he was able to grab and cling on the blinds.

I think he is close to flight. I mostly want him to land safely.
Sounds like he has the courage and want. Those are the biggies. 40ft is pretty good. Onward and upward.

There's only one way to get good at anything and that's practice. :D

Beth In Alaska

Real Name
Beth
Sounds like he has the courage and want. Those are the biggies. 40ft is pretty good. Onward and upward.

There's only one way to get good at anything and that's practice. :D
Hopefully DOWNWARD, SAFELY, lol.
I'm not even sure how to try to get him to fly. I'll bet the zookeeper friend can help. She also can probably provide me with a big space !!!