• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching an older bird

Emilyjakubac

Moving in
Hello, I have a cockatiel who is in her late teens. this is a fairly new (past few years) thing for her, and though its not a big deal it is slightly inconvenient. She is not a big fan of being petted or touched and never has been, but she likes to sit on me and be involved in what I'm doing. Lately, she refuses to sit anywhere except the top of my head. She used to be content sitting on my shoulder, hand or arm, but now if i try to move her she gets mad, enough to bite or just fly back to her cage (her wings arent clipped as i have minimal hazards in my house and i think birds should fly if it is safe). I am not sure how to teach her to get comfortable elsewhere because she is starting to think that i don't want her to sit with me. You can imagine why having a bird nestled into your hair is not always optimal but I don't want her to think I don't want her to hang out with me. I have tried giving her her favorite snacks only when she is somewhere else, but she doesnt seem to care. Anyone have any clever ideas for a finicky lady like mine?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

Megamacawlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Megan
Have you tried touch/target training with her and then using the target to tempt her down from your head so that way it's her decision? Like teach her to target a chopstick by using a clicker before she gets on your head, then once she has it down when she is on your head maybe try saying target/touch right above your forearm with a favorite treat? She might then stay there. She might also be running up to your head because she knows you can't reach her to pet her there. Do you frequently reach to give her a scratch when she's on your shoulder or forearm or knee? That might explain the recent aversion. Good luck!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If I were in that situation, besides target training (please do not use "touch"! bad word! lol) as already mentioned, I'd probably place one hand on my head and using the birds favorite treat, lure them onto my hand and off my head then place them where I do want the bird and reward for being there. Repeat as necessary.