• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

teaching a CAG to like taking a shower?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaktel

Moving in
Real Name
Kelley
Hi everybody, I'm just wondering what techniques any of you have used to teach your birds to enjoy taking showers, or baths, either in a dish or in a shower. My 14-yo CAG that I adopted a few months ago seems pretty terrified of the shower, and shows little interest in water in a pie dish on the floor. She also seems to hate spray bottles. I'm pretty sure she hadn't had a shower in years when I adopted her. Any ideas? Thanks!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's very possible that your bird was disciplined/punished using a squirt bottle or some other form of water. You must just keep trying to slowly condition him to it without ever forcing him to take a bath. He must accept it on his own for it to be successful. Start out by just letting him be in the shower with you without getting wet and slowly over time just flick a little water on him with your hand until you see signs that he wants more.

Playing in the sink or large dish on the floor is also a good way to introduce him to water. Get down there and play in the water and make it something he "wants" to participate in.

Be prepared for the fact that he may not ever want a bath depending on his history.

This kind of reptile mister allows a much finer mist and the clear tube allows you to hide the bottle so it seems the the water is coming from your hand. It's also pressurized so there is no squirting action but a constant mist. Always spray from above and let it fall like rain and do not directly spray them, unless he asks for it in time of course.

I have ropes "above" the shower so they can just sit and watch if that is what they want.

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Great reply, John! I love the ropes above the shower! :) I agree, going slow with Emmett totally paid off, now he really enjoys a good soaking shower. :)

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
O.k. the ropes above the shower is just adorable and hilarious.... and people think I am bird crazy. I have to introduce them to all of you. Love the look on their faces.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Took me several years to get one of our Greys Scooby to enjoy a shower with a squirt bottle, and now she asks to have one as she loves it.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I just started to bring Squeeky into the shower with me :)

Djuna

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Atia started coming in the shower as a baby. At first she would sit on the perch and gradually we added water to the equation. She never really flaps her wings or looks like she is having fun. She sits on her perch and chats away then slowly starts falling asleep.

She knows the routine though, every morning she starts saying "Bath time", "have a bath", "did you have a bath".

Nikki'sMom

Moving in
My Grey always has been given showers since he was a couple of months old. Never really cared for them. I have a stand made up that sits in the shower. Hated my new shower head until i put him at the back of the tub on his stand and i got in and started playing in the water. Now he loves the new shower head and gets mad when i take him out and I don't even have to join him in the shower anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.