• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

TBD Cause of 11 Bird Deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Personally I feel everyone on this forum IS open to anything being the culprit, even if we all have our own gut feelings.

The negative conversation and ridiculous emotions are happening on facebook. No one here is saying it "has to be the food, or more importantly "has to be zupreem". Everyone here can read the thread and decide for themselves.

If we can't keep this thread from being an argument, it will be closed. If you would like to continue the argument... take it to facebook.

Look at the wisdom on this thread, think about the wisdom on this case. The answers are not easy or this would be solved.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I honestly hope all these people losing their birds are taking their birds to the avian vet for necropsies.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok I got a call from the FDA, this AM. The lady I talked too took all info, product codes, use by dates, any info that Shannon has posted, plus this web site, Shannon's Facebook page. She was very concise in her questions, very concerned that those birds had passed. She said that we should keep watching the FDA website for more information.
Whether there is a case open she cannot tell me, 'government does not work that way', her words. But I was told that there would be a inquiry on the info I was able to provide.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ok I got a call from the FDA, this AM. The lady I talked too took all info, product codes, use by dates, any info that Shannon has posted, plus this web site, Shannon's Facebook page. She was very concise in her questions, very concerned that those birds had passed. She said that we should keep watching the FDA website for more information.
Whether there is a case open she cannot tell me, 'government does not work that way', her words. But I was told that there would be a inquiry on the info I was able to provide.

Thanks for the update. Interesting that they can't confirm there is/ isn't a FDA case yet a bunch of peop
le are saying they did confirm no case! Makes you wonder

Last edited:

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I hope they investigate all three foods. I don't see any if them as more or less likely than the others at this point.

Maybe it's not too late for better answers. Thanks for the update.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don’t expect an answer to this, but you do have to ask why they would need all that information about product codes etc. if they had a case open?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don’t expect an answer to this, but you do have to ask why they would need all that information about product codes etc. if they had a case open?

Maybe to match it up to the original case?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Dr Tony also got a phone call today from FDA in DC. He was kind enough to let me know this afternoon. He told me that he was called by a CVM personnel. He would not tell me what was discussed and I am respecting that request.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The Department of Agriculture has completed their investigation for the tragedy that occurred here on January 1, 2018. Unfortunately, they are at a stand still and have basically ended as "inconclusive" without more evidence.

This has been a long journey. 8 months. And obviously, my heart is broken that we will never know with certainty what the cause of the worst night of my life was.

But, I told you guys I'd tell you, and I'm telling you.

The good news is that the deaths that have been regularly reported to me have slowed way down to none.

What have we learned?

1) That when our birds pass away suddenly, a necropsy and histopathology are necessary.

2) Finding a substance without knowing what that substance is, is like looking for Jimmy Hoffa.

3) That people on the internet can be cruel and terrible. That it doesn't matter how much good you've done in the world, there are people who just want to tear you down.

4) That while the above is true, there's many, many more perfect strangers that are kind and good. And that's always what we should focus on.

5) It wasn't air, disease, water, or sickness that killed 5 macaws, 2 cockatoos, 2 amazons and 2 conures that night.

6) That I'm stronger than I ever knew.

7) Lines were drawn in the bird community, and I'm not really sure why that happened. All we ever asked for were for people to avoid 2 batches of food. Just 2.

8)Our rescue is strong and moving ahead. That hasn't changed, nor will it.

I am blessed to have so many of you as friends through this tragedy. That's the real silver lining here.

I appreciate every single one of you and your words of kindness.

And to Zupreem, we will never know what happened that night. I apologize for the bad press that resulted from our tragedy, and the words I wrote. I did what I thought was the right thing to try to save as many lives as I could. I cannot regret that decision to go public.

I am sorry for the vitriol that happened as a result of it though, towards you, your company and your products. I don't feel like it had to be this way. There were several things on both sides that happened that caused that part of this to ripple out of control. I am so very sorry for that.

At the end of the day, we both have the same goal: to protect the health and welfare of companion parrots. I don't think that has changed. I wish you the very best as you continue on, and hope you will accept my apology. It was never my intention to cause harm to a company, I simply wanted to save as many lives as humanly possible.

<3

Now. Let's get this year over with. 2019 for the win.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for the update.
The whole situation is just sad. And how hard it must be for her to still have no real answers. :sad1:
and THIS will be the best response I know of....I think people forget that these were birds she loved and cherished.

I can't fathom the pain she has felt.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Mizzely Thank you so much for all the trouble you have gone to on this issue. I'm not one who likes ambiguity, so I'm very sad that no answers were found.

Last, but not least. My very best to Shannon, when 11 parrots die within 4/5 hours it is newsworthy and you were right to get the news out there. Unlike some of the inet posts out there the entire public is not a bunch of "Dumb F's".

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Am I the only one put off by the Zupreem paragraph? It’s not an apology. To slander a company without proof is ... :nocomment:

I'm probably biased, but no. I thought the way Zupreem handled it, especially compared to the other two companies involved, was very poor. It has made me very reluctant to purchase their products. To clarify, the potential for bad food didn't scare me away. It was the way Zupreem responded that left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We will always remember the souls that were taken in this tragedy, and the effect of that tragedy on all involved in it.
Our rescue is strong and moving ahead. That hasn't changed, nor will it.
:heart:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I just don't like the Zupreem fruity and I'm still skeptical of it's part in the whole thing. If you think Zupreem fruity is fine, fine feed it to your birds - I wouldn't feed it to a dog (never have, never would) and I don't like dogs. But really and truly it is far past time to be banging on Shannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.