• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tau is now a special needs bird

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Do you think these changes could be a result of his injuries?
I really don't know. What would he be like if all this hadn't happened? Probably just like any other tiel.
I appreciate that he doesn't understand what happened, why and how and so holds some distrust in everything including me. But then out of the blue it's like he realises that I'm the one who feeds him and tidies his mess, so I can't be bad or dangerous to him. He's still a hands off bird, but once in a while I do get a little reward.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
He sounds like a "normal" tiel to me. I have 6 - and yes - one day they love me and the next - I'm not so sure... :)
So true!

Awe, So sweet that Tau sat and talked with you.:heart: Maybe Tau felt a little vulnerable and out of sorts because of everything going on, and just needed some reassurance and love. Sounds like when push comes to shove, Tau knows you’re safe and reliable.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
A little change of pace today maybe triggered by his visit to the vet.
He came out to visit me managing an 8ft glide from a height of 3ft. He slowly made his way around the room following the walls, found the sofa, then found my feet (I've always sat in the same place) then did his usual preen of my leg (I'd call in plucking). I didn't have the perch handy so I offered my hand and he stepped right up.
I placed him at the other end of the sofa and he gradually made his way over to me, climbing the cushion next to me and stepped onto my shoulder.
OMG another miraculous change. He sat there for half an hour and paid attention to every single word I said to him, every single word. After the half hour he seemed to be shivering a bit (scared?) so I got him to step up again and put him on a perch outside his cage door. We spent another half hour just talking, calling each other when I went to make us a cuppa, and then he retired to eat.
I get it. It's like a coin. One day it's heads, the next it's tails, and it's totally unpredictable. One day Tau wants to be with me, the next I'm a big bad bear.
...there will be good days and bad days, for sure...you and Tau are in it for the long haul...and over the long haul, there will be many more good days than bad ones...you can bank on that...

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Glad things are going well. Hopefully he will start opening up more to you. He's learning how to trust you just doing it at his pace :)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Tau has been with the vet for two days to assess him for seizures. The good news is he doesn't need meds for the seizures because he's not classed a 'prone' to them whatever that means. I'm just relieved I don't have to medicate him every day, those drugs will zone him out.
However, he does have a couple of issues that will affect him for the rest of his life.
Firstly he has physical damage to the retinas of both eyes, meaning patches of his vision are missing. He also has no focal control on his right eye, which means he can focus over 6 feet away, but any closer it's just a blur.
The other problem is his brain damage. He's lost a lot of his cognitive ability. In many ways this has affected his reflexes. Practically this may reduce his ability to fly. The vet wanted to clip him, but I refused for now pointing out that the vet said 'may'. If he does have a problem controlling his flight I will get him clipped. It'll be either a clip or banished to his cage 24/7 (and no-one wants that).
Talking of his cage I can't change it round any. If a toy needs replacing it has to be the same or a very similar size. His cage is now his safe place, changing anything will confuse him.
One other thing, that showed in his xrays, the metatarsels are distorted in his right wing. This is probably from a linear fracture that never showed after his cage fright. It won't affect his wing movement but his wings will look uneven when folded, which they do. That don't matter, it's just cosmetic.
And to top it off Tau lost another blood feather right there on the exam table. Glad the vet saw that.

Poor little guy, I under stand the thought of possibly having to clip. It's not an easy decision to come to.
I had my share of handicapped birds. One of my Too's developed eye issues where he couldn't judge distance and coordination. Scary thing to go through text after test to finally come to eye issue. I had to clip his wings, saddest day of my life. But had to, he was liable to seriously injury himself. I couldn't keep him in cage 24/7, that's not me.
But things were smooth and he adapted lived out his life a couple more years after that.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If Tau manages to fly safely and doesn't need to be clipped it'll be a phenomenal boost to his confidence. That'll be another turning point I believe.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Awe sweet baby. It really does sound like he’s just angry at everything- which is understandable. But him showing you love I feel is him saying “I know it’s not your fault”. Poor guy, he is lucky to have you (and you him!). As tough as it is those moments like you just had only strengthen your bond.
Big hugs for both of you :sadhug2:

Btw...How are the budgies settling in?

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
If Tau manages to fly safely and doesn't need to be clipped it'll be a phenomenal boost to his confidence. That'll be another turning point I believe.
..spot on...I don't doubt that it'll take time for that to happen...but it WILL happen...:)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Even my loveable tiel somedays acts like she doesn't love me. Most days I can pet her cheeks in the morning after she has settled down on her playground, but sometimes when she's molting or just moody she won't let me. In the first few months I had her I thought oh no, she doesn't trust me no more ! But eventually I realized it's just a tiel thing. She's a moody little featherball :) Luckily I taught her that showing her an O shape with my finger in front of her means "Hi can I cuddle you?" so now I do that and if she bows her head I can cuddle her face. If she doesn't bow, I know she isn't in the mood. An odd time she will bow then change her mind when i attempt a cuddle so it's not foolproof haha.

Poor poor Tau, I hope he can stop injuring himself ! I can see why he is so grumpy, tiels sometimes don't need a reason, but his injuries must make him more grumpy then usual!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh my...:sadhug2:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's a hard life being a tiel, and it's so hard for the parront. I've just had to console Tau at the loss of 2 more primary flights, one from each wing this time. He makes such great progress then gets set back another 6-8 weeks. And I know it's hard on his body too, having to convert all this protein constantly for a few months must really take it out of him.
One day my friend, one day!

*edit* Just found another in the bottom of his cage. Tau is now back to zero fully grown primaries on his left wing.

*another edit* One more makes four.

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...sending out cyberscritches to you , Tau...and:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:to you, Linden...