• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Target training and ripping my hair out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So this has popped up again and has me wondering. I have the materials: a large chopsticks, treats, and endless time (har har), but I'm taking into consideration: Java. Thankfully, he's food motivated, so I've tried using food to encourage him to move around his cage, which turned out to be a fail. He just sits there. I moved his food bowl to the bottom of the cage where he could see it but as stubborn as he is, he wanted nothing to do with it. I don't want him to starve himself but I'm at a loss. At this point, I don't know what else to do or try to get him moving. Nothing seems to stick.
Part of me wants to try target training, but I also think it would be a waste of time on both of our parts for obvious reasons (mobility). Does anyone use target training or is it simply a gimmick/precursor to 'step up'?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have used target training with Burt. It helped to move him when I could not reach him and he wanted to stay where he was instead of where I wanted him. Anytime Burt gets obsessed with trying to remodel my wall or door frame I target him to a spot he can be and chew things. Burt really seems to like to have the chance to touch the target to the point that if he sees the target stick sitting somewhere he will go to it pick it up and look at me like he is telling me to give him a treat. He will also pick it up and bring it to me when he gets the chance. We do not use it all the time but it is there for if we need to use it, we practice with it every now and then and every time without fail Burt gets right into it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Maybe its not for your bird. I would take a brake for a little while and perhaps try again.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe its not for your bird. I would take a brake for a little while and perhaps try again.
Yeah, I'm at a point where I'm running out of steam. I just got out of the ER a few days ago for dehydration and low potassium, and I'm losing sleep over how to make this work with Java. It's discouraging at times to have no help, and I try to remind myself to hang in there, but I find myself wondering if I've bitten off more than I can chew. I don't know. I'm drawing a blank.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You need to chill out. Relax. Go with the flow and quit sweating the small stuff. Java is fine and you will be too.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You need to chill out. Relax. Go with the flow and quit sweating the small stuff. Java is fine and you will be too.
I'm not a 'go with the flow' kind of person and if I knew how to relax I would. I'll figure the rest of myself

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Sometimes the more you want things to work... the harder it gets! Try looking at it from a different perspective and /or think about how necessary it is to gain the desired result!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have used target training to do a lot of things, including teaching Daff to go in a crate, moving birds when needed, etc. The reward doesn't have to be food, just something that really motivates the animal. Praise? A much-loved toy? Take a break, relax, and observe. Your bird will tell you what melts its butter. ;)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I need to get my own butt into gear and get a little cheekie target trained! He's hands off, but *so* inquisitive and food motivated! Heck, you can shove anything in his face and he'll eat it! Doesn't matter if he's never seen it before, he'll try it!

His mum had trouble bonding with him and could not get him to come to the front of his cage when she was around. She had to walk away/go into another room before he'd be brave enough to climb out. Before I took him, I worked with him there and allowed her to see what can be done with a *little* bit of work. I was sitting in front of his cage and got him to come to the front of the cage! Had to move some perches and stuff around, but once we figured out the right setup, not only was he at the front of the cage taking food from me, but he even sat on the door! I asked her again, are you sure you want to let him go? She said yes.

So I have him now... and he has no problem coming out of his cage when I'm right next to it! My problem is getting him back in!!!! :lol: It's not that he wont go in for a treat or food... he just can't seem to figure out how to get back *IN* the cage once he's gotten out! :rolleyes: This morning, he decided to not only climb out but go to the top of his cage. I couldn't get him to come back down, so I placed a rope perch going from the side of the cage at the top (attached to the highest part of the side of the cage), then twirled around towards the door and about mid-level of the cage. Perch was new, perch was scary... we touched it... it didn't kill us! So okay.... it must be safe to step on.... okay, it's safe to be on and we can get food! Was able to lure him down to the cage door but we still struggled going *INTO* the cage....

It is a new-er cage to him than his old one. The cage he came in he was more comfortable going back into the cage, so he's still getting used to this new-er one.

Status
Not open for further replies.