• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tarantula Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Beautiful Ts. I love the pictures of the babies. I handled a rose footed(?) at a bug zoo once and promptly broke out in a rash anywhere the T touched me. Had to find a pharmacy, take a massive dose of benadryl and slather myself with hydrocortisone cream. But they are beautiful. Wonderful creatures.

PrettyInInk87

Walking the driveway
Oh wow. It was probably an Avicularia avicularia (pink toe) or a Grammastola rosea (rose hair). You know now you are allergic to them. Eek! That would suck if I was! Thanks!

Gabbie

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Crazy! I'm weird...I'm okay with them unless I see them in a web, then I think they are freaky! Not sure why. I will say I'd much rather meet your geckos than your tarantulas!

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I am creeped out and fascinated at the same time. Strange that I find the babies a bit creepier than the adults. They are pretty cool though!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
They are quite fascinating, the hair on them just makes them a tad creepy though. :o: :lol: Love your Geckos!

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
They are Awesome!:heart:
When my daughter was 3 years old, she started asking for one. All her friends/family had dogs,cats,ferrets,fish,birds. she stopped asking when she was 12 and we got Tiki & Lola

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
NO!:scared1: Sorry...big spiders kind of trip me out. I agree with appreciation for all creatures, but they can stay with you and I am good with that...lol. Here in FL we have some pretty freaky ones, and some that get big. There is a very black spider, he looks like the hoppy kind but BIG,who I just noticed living above my washer the other day in the window jamb. Will you come and remove him for me?:lol:

PrettyInInk87

Walking the driveway
Thanks!

Tiki, I have babies if you're interested. I need to post them in the classifieds section though. They really are cool pets.

Waterfaller, I have a thing about wild spiders and bugs. The ones I have I know which are quick and which pack nastier bites. If I see a spider out abc about I'm okay but if I were to get jumped on by one I'd freak. Lol!

Gabbie

MLS

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Margaret
Gorgeous T's! How's managing a collection that large? You wouldn't happen to keep Green Bottle Blues ( Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens ) would you? They are my favorites! If you've got more photos of the more colorful, and mean :p, species that you keep I'd love to see them.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love the Cobault Blue and the Pink Toe!

PrettyInInk87

Walking the driveway
Thanks! It's not very difficult keeping this many Ts. They only get fed once a week and I guess once you get the hang of who needs what it's simple.

I do have one GBB but she's still a sling.

Gabbie

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have wondered.....since mating is basically the male pinning the female so he can do his thing, how is it that the males get away with their lives? If I was the female, I would want to kill the male, too.

Do you have to act fast to separate them before the female takes out the male?

Conmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Helen
Fascinating. Are you concerned @ being poisoned? Is that just part of the risk if you breed?

PrettyInInk87

Walking the driveway
Due to females eating males after breeding, we heavily feed the females for a few days before introducing the male. It's less likely the female will eat the male after she's had a good share of food in her tummy. Some do, however, eat the males regardless. It's just a risk we all take when breeding.

Tarantulas aren't poisonous, if you eat one you wouldn't be affected. They are though, venomous. Depending on the species depend on the potency of the venom. Most are mild and is like being stung by a bee. Unless you're allergic. Most of my Ts are mild mannered and have mild venom.

Gabbie

Status
Not open for further replies.