• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tank cleaning day.

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Tonight was tank cleaning day for Kirika, my hammie. She was not amused and chased the dustpan the entire time. :laugh:

After finally getting all the old bedding out and everything wiped down, she calmed though. She loves the process of putting in new bedding, likes to 'help out' I guess. :lol:
Finished product! Don't mind her wheel, no matter how many toys I give her she insist on chewing holes into her wheels. :dead:

That's the forth wheel this year. :faint:
image.jpeg image.jpeg

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I don't think I've ever had hamster have issues with chewing the wheel. At least it's not the silicone lining the tank, eh? Cute.

I use paper based bedding out of necessity but I admit I think it looks better (which is just my opinion).

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I don't think I've ever had hamster have issues with chewing the wheel. At least it's not the silicone lining the tank, eh? Cute.

I use paper based bedding out of necessity but I admit I think it looks better (which is just my opinion).
Thanks!
It's for sure confusing! She'll happily chew on her toys but nothing will stop her going at her wheel. :lol:
I'm going to try the Carolina Storm Wheel next time, and see if a wheel without holes will help.

Which bedding do you use? I use the Kaytee Clean and Cozy since that's what the breeder used when Kiri was a pup.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks!
It's for sure confusing! She'll happily chew on her toys but nothing will stop her going at her wheel. :lol:
I'm going to try the Carolina Storm Wheel next time, and see if a wheel without holes will help.

Which bedding do you use? I use the Kaytee Clean and Cozy since that's what the breeder used when Kiri was a pup.
Carolina storm wheels are great, but I can't say anything about the chewing. Exotic Nutrition also has a silent spinner now. I think I like those two the most out of what I've tried functionality-wise.

I usually buy SoPhresh when they have the giant bags on sale and buy in bulk. If it's on sale and non-dusty I buy a ton if it.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Carolina storm wheels are great, but I can't say anything about the chewing. Exotic Nutrition also has a silent spinner now. I think I like those two the most out of what I've tried functionality-wise.

I usually buy SoPhresh when they have the giant bags on sale and buy in bulk. If it's on sale and non-dusty I buy a ton if it.
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into the Exotic Nutrition one as well.

I've heard SoPhresh is a good brand, I always have preferred the paper bedding's to the Aspen ones.
I may give that a try next time I'm in need of bedding. :)

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Nice and clean! Do you have a picture of the little cutie who lives in there? :)

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into the Exotic Nutrition one as well.

I've heard SoPhresh is a good brand, I always have preferred the paper bedding's to the Aspen ones.
I may give that a try next time I'm in need of bedding. :)
Soooo cute!

SoPhresh aspen is usually more recommended probably. I think the Kaytee brand you're using is some of the better on the market but a lot of it depends on how often you change your bedding and how much you can afford. The SoPhresh paper bedding is a lot like Carefresh, kind of a buyer beware kind of deal. I haven't had any issues with it but I'm also just one person.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Soooo cute!

SoPhresh aspen is usually more recommended probably. I think the Kaytee brand you're using is some of the better on the market but a lot of it depends on how often you change your bedding and how much you can afford. The SoPhresh paper bedding is a lot like Carefresh, kind of a buyer beware kind of deal. I haven't had any issues with it but I'm also just one person.
Thank you!

It's a good bedding, and it's not dusty at all. I spot clean her tank every day and change her 'nest' area every two or three days just to keep things sanitary.
She's a wheel pee'er though, haha, so my main job is just to get that wiped down every night.
I only ever take everything out every 3 weeks to a month since I spot clean.

I'm always up to improving her tank though so I'll give the SoPhresh a try. :)

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Thank you!

It's a good bedding, and it's not dusty at all. I spot clean her tank every day and change her 'nest' area every two or three days just to keep things sanitary.
She's a wheel pee'er though, haha, so my main job is just to get that wiped down every night.
I only ever take everything out every 3 weeks to a month since I spot clean.

I'm always up to improving her tank though so I'll give the SoPhresh a try. :)
My new hamster has made burrows across the entire cage but I pretty much have the same cleaning schedule, once a month for major cleaning. I had a sand bath for my previous Syrian and he would use it as a potty. Super easy cleaning that way.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
My new hamster has made burrows across the entire cage but I pretty much have the same cleaning schedule, once a month for major cleaning. I had a sand bath for my previous Syrian and he would use it as a potty. Super easy cleaning that way.
Haha, how is Zombie settling in?

I tried early on to get Kiri to use a sand bath hoping she would use it as a potty, but she only stepped into it once and ignored it from then on. :rolleyes:

Obviously, she enjoys making the human-maid clean her wheel every night instead. :hehe:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Haha, how is Zombie settling in?

I tried early on to get Kiri to use a sand bath hoping she would use it as a potty, but she only stepped into it once and ignored it from then on. :rolleyes:

Obviously, she enjoys making the human-maid clean her wheel every night instead. :hehe:
:rofl: Poor you.

He took a mealworm and some zucchini from my hand, he has also discovered the joy of whimzees already. Kinda skiddish but doing better every day. He came from a group of 3 or 4 hamsters together that the previous owner didn't want anymore from what I was told so I doubt he's been handled much.

Edit: Kirika is an awesome name BTW

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
:rofl: Poor you.

He took a mealworm and some zucchini from my hand, he has also discovered the joy of whimzees already. Kinda skiddish but doing better every day. He came from a group of 3 or 4 hamsters together that the previous owner didn't want anymore from what I was told so I doubt he's been handled much.

Edit: Kirika is an awesome name BTW
That's great! I'm sure he'll be happy to be handled in no time.
Took me weeks to get Kiri to take treats from me. She isn't fond of being handled and has a tendency to bite so I let her do her thing mostly. :D
She'll happily sit in my hand for a pumpkin seed, though.

Thank you!
She's actually named after her father, who's name is Kirito. I just added the 'ka' to make it feminine.
I don't know if you watch anime, but in one show the main couple's names are Kirito and Asuna, so the breeder named Kirika's mother and father after those characters. :lol:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi

She is super cute! :heart: Love that second pic! :hehe:
Thank you! :)

It's pretty hard to get pics of her, so I was overjoyed when I caught those.
I just love how it was almost like she was posing for the shot. :lol: