• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tank changes due to injuries[pics]

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I had some recent problems. I lost a fish, half side of his face was torn off. I tried to save him, but failed to do so. I had another fish with marks all over. Then a third fish came up with an injury on the same side of the face as the first one, but not nearly as bad. So I did a little research and found it could have been the albino long finned plecos. I tore the tank apart one night last week to get them out. My LFS took them back. I also opted to take out all the driftwood, just in case that may have been causing issues, though I do not see how it could have caused the original injury. There was also a small slate cave in question that was removed.
So since all of that, things have gotten much better. The injuries are almost impossible to notice, and the fish seem much happier with all the room to swim.

in this pic you can see some of the injuries on the two on the left, but they are much much better now

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Carole, I am so very sorry. I know how much you love them.

Matt

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Wow..I cannot believe the plecos did that! :X Glad they are happy with all the swimming room!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'm sorry about your loss and the injured fish. Hopefully you have solved the problem and everything is ok now :hug8:

solo

Real Name
jess
you have extremely stunning fish
so sorry to hear you lost one :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks all!
Yeah he was a very special crown pearlscale I named King Tut.
May he RIP.

Ragu

Sprinting down the street
I love fancy goldies! i spent 4 years searching for a panda moor and finally found one a few months ago at the local fish store i usually avoid. I cannot wait to move so i can finally get my 300 gallon set up for the fancys( i was originally going to make that my reef tank, but 300 gallons is too much for salt for me, it would cost too much in water changes alone lol, so i think i will pick up a 220 for my new reef tank, saltwater will always be my favorite) . I love your set up, it is gorgeous, but im sorry your plecos were hurting your other fish:( I hope my pleco never decides to be a meanie. If he were to kill that panda idk what i'll do to him. Oh you just got me so excited to set up the big tank so i can add lots of new fancys! I am in love with your chocolate lionhead!

Kaylea

Real Name
Kaylea
awww...hugsss

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
So sorry to hear you've had a tank crisis, Carole, and that you lost one. :( Hope everyone else heals well. :hug8:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks everyone! :hug8:
I love fancy goldies! i spent 4 years searching for a panda moor and finally found one a few months ago at the local fish store i usually avoid. I cannot wait to move so i can finally get my 300 gallon set up for the fancys( i was originally going to make that my reef tank, but 300 gallons is too much for salt for me, it would cost too much in water changes alone lol, so i think i will pick up a 220 for my new reef tank, saltwater will always be my favorite) . I love your set up, it is gorgeous, but im sorry your plecos were hurting your other fish:( I hope my pleco never decides to be a meanie. If he were to kill that panda idk what i'll do to him. Oh you just got me so excited to set up the big tank so i can add lots of new fancys! I am in love with your chocolate lionhead!
Thank you. :) Oohh a 300 would be awesome. I have heard that some don't do well in a deep tank though, so make sure you find that out. Do not be disappointed if your moor loses his/her black. Many 'pandas' are just a fish in transition losing his black. I use a food that claims to stabilize or even return the color black. It is an unstable color with GF.
The fish you mentioned is actually considered a lavender ranchu. :joyful: My aquaflora bulbs have an effect on how he looks, since they are pinkish.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Great detective work, Carole! How big is the tank you have pictured?
Thanks Kat. :) It is a 90 gallon with a 29 gallon sump. I am hoping one day to upgrade to a 125, which would give me 2 more feet.

Ragu

Sprinting down the street
Thanks everyone! :hug8:
Thank you. :) Oohh a 300 would be awesome. I have heard that some don't do well in a deep tank though, so make sure you find that out. Do not be disappointed if your moor loses his/her black. Many 'pandas' are just a fish in transition losing his black. I use a food that claims to stabilize or even return the color black. It is an unstable color with GF.
The fish you mentioned is actually considered a lavender ranchu. :joyful: My aquaflora bulbs have an effect on how he looks, since they are pinkish.

My 300 is wider then it is deep, it is 7x2x3, i haven't decided how big of a sump i want to do with it yet though. I figure the tank is big enough that i only really need one large enough to be sufficient at filtration and to hide my heater (if i even use one in this tank) and other equipment. And oops:) i assumed lionhead because of the poofy head and no top fin lol. And i have always worried about him loosing his color, but i have read that it usually happens within the first few months, and i have had him about 7 months now (wow has it been that long already?!) and he is about 2 inches now...and still the smallest baby:) he was soooo itty bitty when i got him. Most people do not realize how big the goldies get. I always have to talk people out of them at work because they have tiny 5 gallon tanks, i just show them pics of my black moor that went from 1.5 inches to about 6 inches in less then a year and they usually change their mind lol.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I love having the sump as a filter instead of something hanging on it or a canister. I use the filter socks that they use for reefs at the input site, then Xlarge media bags with Eheim media for my BB's. Works flawless. I also keep a 300 wt heater in the sump but rarely have to use it. Though fancies do prefer water a bit warmer the commons, comets, shebunkins, etc. Sounds like it will be a wonderful home for some fancies. I hope you will take pics and post your progress as you build it! :dance4:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Your tank is always stunning! I'm so sorry about Tut :(
love the Lovey pic!! cute fatty!

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
WENS!!! I love fancies sooo much!! How big is that tank?
What plants have you used?
Here's my O Peach at night.jpg randa: :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Martine and guinea pigster :D My tank is a 90 gallon with a 29 gallon sump. Your red cap oranda is very beautiful! :heart: