1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming update,and diet questions my IRN is half pig...

Discussion in 'Ringneck and other Keet Street' started by Feathered up, 9/23/18.

1. Feathered up

Feathered up Sprinting down the street

Jamie
    so this week I learned that Pavi has a bottomless pit for a stomach. He’s very very active and young and growing so I expect to have a healthy appetite but he is very different from my others.

All of my others have been difficult to transition from those seed mixes they were on when they came to me. From the start, even though he was weaned to seed, Pavi has been ravenous for fresh food. I’m pretty good with nutrition and try to feed greens that are lower in oxilates and fruits that have good value to them and not just sugar. I’ve never had to measure chop. My others eat what they want and leave the rest to go play or move on the dry stuff like pellets and avicakes. Not Pavi. I swear if I filled a pint container with peppers and corn and carrots and berries and spinach and parsley etc, he’d eat the whole pint over the course of the day.

So the question is, how much fresh food is too much? He isn’t going to limit himself so I guess I have to. The vet says, let him have it. He’ll stop when he’s full....... ahhhhhh...then he’s never full. Lol. I kind of wonder if he eats as much of it as he does because it’s something we do together that doesn’t frighten him. His foods are cut into foot size pieces and lately he eats a lot of it perched on the edge of my iPad and he will intentionally drop pieces onto my lap so he can crawl down and sit there. He will sometimes crawl up to my shoulder and barely avoids my hands but still isn’t sure about them. He has begun exploring my hands with his beak and I am always sooooo happy when i reach that phase with a new bird (NOT). Lol

He’s such a funny little guy. He has started making kiss sounds and popped out with half of peek a boo “peeka peeka” that he’s learned from bird videos. It sounds like I have a Pokémon in my house. If I sit in my normal spot and call him, he’ll come over his bridge then fly down to the edge of the iPad. He will walk to my hand to take a treat now. He has great aim with his landings for a baby as he can usually even pull off a landing on the edge of my phone.

I think we are in a really good place now. I do hope that the move won’t set us back to far. We are still a couple months from moving and hopefully he’ll be bonded enough by then that not too much will change.

sunnysmom and Peachfaced like this.
  2. LSA

LSA Rollerblading along the road I Can't Stop Posting!

Leslie
    It's just amazing how little birds can eat so much! Where DO-OO they put It?

Research showed (Were they bird psychics? ) that birds view each hand as a predator bird.

3. Feathered up

Jamie
    Lol! That may explain why he often snatches a treat and runs up the rope with it. He’s stealing it from the competition.

I personally believe they come to see it as a strange looking prospective mate/ bonded flock member trying to solicit them. Lol. My POW will make his buzz sound (which is an aggressive noise for him) and shove the side of my face with his head to get me to feed him then he will begin to display for me.

I think a lot of what we do with parrots is construed as mating behavior by them.

4. LSA

Leslie
    Yeah, I made the mistake of tapping Sir Lancelot's beak with a crochet needle. Now he's IN LOVE.

5. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    Sounds like things are going really well. It's pretty rare for a bird to over eat. They're not like cats or dogs. If your bird is active- which it sounds like he is- and not overweight, which he's not- I wouldn't worry about limiting food.

6. LSA

Leslie
    Am I the only one who adopted an overweight bird? I just might be. It doesn't matter. She's on a diet plan anyway.

My IRN, on the other hand, is a struggle to keep weight on.

Everyone else is jjjjuuuusssstttt right. (Including me)

7. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    I would limit only if he is eating to the point where he isn't eating anything else. For my birds I don't like them to go below 50% of their diet being pellets. Veggies are awesome but can still be lacking some nutrients (even fat!) so that would be the only time I would limit.

8. LSA

Leslie
    I agree that it's all about WHAT you give them not how much. 3 of my birds would live on almonds, another on peanuts, another on sunflower seeds, 2 on millet. If offered, they'd pick those out first. Instead, those are treat only foods and no peanuts. I taught 2 conures that pellets are treat food instead of almonds!

9. Feathered up

Jamie
    :rofl:

10. Feathered up

Jamie
    Thanks guys. He doesn’t eat fresh foods to the exclusion of everything else, he just prefers it.

He seems to take it by spells and somedays fresh is really what he wants. Other days he’ll over indulge in almonds or pellet berries I struggle to get all of my others to eat healthy. I guess I’m just not used to a bird taking to such a well rounded diet so quickly. When the breeder told me he had been weaned to seed I thought I was in for a challenge. Surprisingly the diet has come much easier than taming the little monster.

He’s making great progress but no scritches yet. He’ll get there in time.

11. LesBirdman

LesBirdman Meeting neighbors

Leslie Wessling
    Haha, My Lucky was the same for ages. She seemed to go through phases of preferring different fruits and veggies though and would eat endless amounts of whatever she preferred most if I made it available. She has settled into a fairly steady eating routine now though generally consisting of some diced apple, some blueberries (I have to cut them in half or she just bites them once and tosses them to the floor) and corn make the most of the fresh part, I interchange other vegetables depending what is in the fridge and sometimes she gets grapes if she's really good. She still struggles to eat pellets but I usually swap her fresh stuff for a pellet seed mix before I go to work of a night, and slowly reducing the seed:pellet ratio it seems she is starting to take to the dry formulated stuff which is promising.

You mentioned no scritches yet... to my understanding IRN's aren't the most cuddly birds, in fact lucky in particular hates being touched anywhere besides her feet when perched on my hand and will let me clean food debris from her beak sometimes. If you have other IRN's who love scritches please tell me how you managed to get them so happy with it haha.

As for the diet part, I'm sure she will figure out what she likes eventually and fall into a pattern that you and your feathered friend will be happy with.

LSA likes this.
  12. Feathered up

Jamie
    I know IRN’s, often time aren’t the cuddliest birds. Pavi is my first of the asiatic parrots so I only know what I’ve read about them. At this moment, I think Pavi could go either way. He sat on my finger to take pumpkin seeds from me today which is a first. He was stepping up onto my hand from the iPad without hesitation but still won’t do it from his tree (who knows why hands are safe over here but deadly 12 inches away? Lol.).

Whether or not he’s “cuddly” isn’t a make or break for me. As the owner of the world’s LEAST cuddly Blue Crown, and a half wild lovie, I’m not really used to petting my birds much. My chickens are honestly more cuddly than my parrots. Lol. But my parrots show affection none the less. Oddly my cuddliest bird is my Princess Parrot and that’s really not normal for them. Lol

I am trying to decide now whether to wait to introduce him to the flock until I have a better bond with him or just go for it. My others are demons with feathers who tolerate other people/ animals but only do well with me and I’d like Pavi to trust me enough to come to me in the event they are overly aggressive, which is likely. On the other hand, he hears them and has started calling out to them and I’m concerned he’s too lonely when I’m away.

LesBirdman likes this.
  13. LesBirdman

LesBirdman Meeting neighbors

Leslie Wessling
    I guess you could try and expose Pavi to the rest of the flock. Lucky and my two weiros are caged in the same room so they see and hear eachother all day but as soon as they are within lunging distance from eachother Lucky wants to 'try them out' and they don't like it, especially because they are so much smaller than Lucky. I know this now though so I make sure that Lucky (being the smartest of the three) knows not to go near them or their territory (their cage).

If you want your birds to be happy interacting with each other then I believe it should be done as soon as possible and under strict supervision, so as to make sure they know the bounds for said interaction as dictated by you.

I'm no pro but I've done my reading (many thousands of words from many different professionals and breeders of varying species) so this is the approach I take and have done with some limited success. I'm sure there are others better geared to instruct/advise you on doing it safely and responsibly with your flock here on AA than me so I would definitely be asking them.

Best of luck, Les and Lucky.

14. LSA

Leslie
    Glenn, IRN, is a special case. I wish you the best. By knowing the habits, body language and personality of each bird you are better able to care for it and supervise it.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)