• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming help for my Rainbow Lorikeet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowBirdLover

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Damian
Hi! So, I have an adult Lorikeet that had AS LITTLE CONTACT WITH PEOPLE as possible. He has been with me for about2 weeks or a little more, and he eagerly eats out of my hand. BUT he moves to the back of his cage when I walk past or stand up and he only let's me touch him when he's too tired to move.

Will he ever be tame?
&
He doesnt bite, he growls and has pecked me ONCE but he never bites. Is this normal?

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Nothing is impossible, so taming him is possible. Keep in mind, 2 weeks isn’t very long at all, he may not even be completely comfortable in the new environment yet.

You will need to be patient, and earn his full trust, this can take sometime for birds, but a wild caught Lorikeet, it could take longer. Go at his pace, don’t push him to do anything, and let him go as slow as he wants. I would continue to let him eat out of your hand for now, this is good progress so far, later on, you can try working on getting him to step up onto a perch until he is comfortable enough to move from the perch to your hand, it really is all patience and time.

RainbowBirdLover

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Damian
Thank you Renae! He is "wild-caught" because he was in a tree outside my house and would not fly, even when I tried reaching out to him. So I brought him inside an he was pretty calm and everything. But I don't trust wires. Or any other organisation like that. Years ago I found a drenched galah on the footpath and took him in, they said they'll call me blah blah blah. A few days later I heard that he died, they didn't say what from or if he was sick. I've never called them since.
Mind you, I was 7.

JackDele

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
It's great that you rescued this bird. However, I'm pretty sure it is illegal to trap and contain native wildlife. And it's just plain cruel to subject a wild bird to the confines of a cage. You need to take this bird to a wildlife carer so that it may be rehabilitated and returned to the wild!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
If this a wild caught adult Rainbow Lorikeet and it cannot fly, you need to be concerned about disease (particularly if you have any other birds). This link will tell you more

http://www.backyard-birds.net/articles/lorikeet.cantfly.html

You can tell an adult by beak colour. An orange beak is an adult and a baby will have a black or very dark beak. If it is wild and diseased and you have no other birds, thats the only circumstance in which I think you should keep it. If disease is confirmed by a vet, I do not believe they will release him, as the disease is very contagious and they do not want an infected bird spreading the disease. If you have birds of your own, you do not want to expose them

If it cant fly because it's been injured, then perhaps it can be rehabilitated and released by those qualified to do it. I'm sure it's illegal to catch and keep wild birds.

If its an escaped pet, please do what you can to return it. Have it checked for a micro chip or at least put up a flyer at pet stores, vets, petrol stations and community notice boards. Someone may be broken hearted and missing him.

I'm sorry, I know you didn't want this type of information, but it's true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RainbowBirdLover

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Damian
I've already looked up some diseases and illnesses and as I thought, he must have been attacked. His tail is short and slightly mangled, but his other feathers are fine. He is an adult and he doesn't seem to trust himself to fly. He holds onto the top of the cage and flaps as hard as he can. Occasionally he will let go, and manage to grab onto the bottom of the curtains.

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
Wow he is very beautiful! His tail will grow back just give it time and with lots of love he will trust you. Good luck with him ;)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I agree I'd look into finding the birds owner/talking to the wildlife center for your city.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Aww, he looks such a pretty little guy.

He might be an escaped pet or aviary bird. I almost lost my lorikeet and I hope if he escapes again that someone takes him to a vet to have him scanned. His microchip would come up and since it's registered on a national data base, I will be contacted. Perhaps a vet would check this without charging a consult fee, you could ask anyway. Apart from that you could put up flyers, post on PartotAlert.com. If all this doesn't bring in a result and you are sure it is not a wild bird, then you have a nice pet and can still feel good that you tried.

Sorry if I am coming down heavy on the side of finding any possible owner, but when you have had a scare like me & nearly lost one, it makes you like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.