• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taming Baby Teil?

FlockOTiels

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniela-Djen B. Huffman
Hello! As you might know, I have a 5 week old baby cockatiel, my male and female bred and made my little bear. I am keeping it(don't know the gender) and I want it to be extremely friendly(king and coco can be held but that's about it) but when ever it sees or hears king or coco all it wants to do is get to them. I've tried closing the cage and covering it but king will just screech and my dad can't handle it. the baby is weaning nicely but king keeps picking it. we have removed the baby from the nest box and it is eating a couple time a day from king as well as some millet and seeds. I can touch the baby but it doesn't like me at all, it always bites me when try to scratch it, I've even just tried to let it sit on me and I don't mess with it, but it always bites me. I've tried hand feeding it but it won't eat at all. I just want a loving bird that lets me pet it but it doesn't seem to be getting any better.
thank you!XOXO

:tieln:King :pearl:Coco:tielf:Bear(baby)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
I'm afraid unless you are hand feeding at least some of the time your baby tiel will just want to be with it's parents.
5 weeks is also far to early to worry about being friends as all your baby is interested in is food and sleep.
You could try some handfeed formula to help out the parents so it sees you as a source of food because 5 weeks is still too early to fully wean and it may take formula for another 3 to 7 weeks yet.
Most baby cockatiels bite everything and they use their beak to test everything first especially before they step onto it, dont mix up biting with testing.
My baby cockatiels are very tame but they took months to become "friendly" after they weaned and became independant. They also go through a stage of wanting nobody after fledging for maybe a week or so while they work stuff out. Its not your fault they just need to grow up a bit. I can pick up all my babies using either my finger or using a full hand around them as i have used both methods since birth and all will come to me for food (millet or other treats). But they all went through an independant stage when they learned to fly even though i hand fed them from 5 weeks exclusively. They're about 6 months old now and 2 of them are stupid tame now with daily contact.
So don't stress about it because you have loads of time left and your new baby will naturally come to you if you are kind and patient...... good luck...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I agree that it's too young to have been taken away from its parents. I usually start "handling" the babies when they've grown in feathers and have got past the silly mohawk look. But by that I mean that I'd bring them out of the nest box under the (very) observant eyes of the parents and have them on my lap on a towel for a while. This way they get used to people but are still in mom and dad's care.

FlockOTiels

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Daniela-Djen B. Huffman
ok thank you, i know i was over stressing but i dont want to mess up, it has full feathers(except on it head where king picked it) it can fly and it is liking me petting more and more, i think its head is a little sore because of the pin feathers coming in, i will ty to hand feed it. thank you @SandraK @barry collins

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Bear wont like you very much if you keep forcing yourself onto him/her. Have you tried seeing if Bear likes any small toys? Or what about feeding treats by hand?

Are King and Coco friendly at all?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I can touch the baby but it doesn't like me at all, it always bites me when try to scratch it
You are trying to do something the chick doesn't like. This is what I meant. If the chick doesn't want to be scritched, then don't scritch him/her. Doing a behavior like this can cause the chick to like you even less than it may already like you.

Mango16

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
What's the best age to start training and taming? I have 4 months old I've been working with them on daily bases morning and evening is this a good thing or bad. Thanks

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
What's the best age to start training and taming? I have 4 months old I've been working with them on daily bases morning and evening is this a good thing or bad. Thanks
That depends on how you are trying to work with them...

This thread has a lot of great advice when it comes to working with birds. Well, at least the various links within the thread!

Free Training Resources | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

You would get better help if you created your own thread.

JulieAnn

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie Panasik
Hi,
According to Barbara Heinderick, a bird behaviorist the sooner you work with the baby the better they will socialize. A couple of times a day just cup them in your hand and hold them, let them get use to your hands and feel safe in them. you need to socialize asap, spend a lot of time with them and as they grow they will want to be with you all the time. Good luck.

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
I don't have any experience with baby cockatiels, but I hope you go well and have a hand reared and trained bird soon enough :heart::heart::heart:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hi,
According to Barbara Heinderick, a bird behaviorist the sooner you work with the baby the better they will socialize. A couple of times a day just cup them in your hand and hold them, let them get use to your hands and feel safe in them. you need to socialize asap, spend a lot of time with them and as they grow they will want to be with you all the time. Good luck.
This is only fine to do if the bird is comfortable with this. If the bird doesn't like being cupped, then it's going to cause the opposite reaction.